First time welder, new machine

1. 1animal1 Member

Hi, looking to purchase a MIG welder for my first project having never welded before. I'll be welding mild steel 20mm box section, angled cuts, cut with a chop saw.... And then tacking 10 gauge wire to the final piece (multiple dog cages, for van). Looking for gas type - budget £100-£200, more if really needed? Although I get that you get what you pay for.

Also need help on good Mask, gloves, 90 degree angle vice and anything else I need to construct on the garage floor... Heat mat? Within reason price wise given that I won't be doing a lot of welding beyond this (anticipated). Unless I get the bug and start trying to make stuff I don't need

Thanks

Tim

2. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

at that price range 2nd hand is only the way to go and 20mm box section what thickness is the actual metal ?

1animal1 and Jlg like this.
  3. Jlg

Jlg Member

You'll have to look second hand my lid cost more than your budget second hand but ppe isn't the thing to scrimp on

1animal1 likes this.
  4. 1animal1 Member

Hi, appreciate the replies... I didn't ask the local yard the thickness, presume it'll be 2 or 3mm max. I had read that I'd need about 100-120amp machine for that... What sort of budget would you say for a new decent spec given what I'll be using it for...

5. Jlg

Jlg Member

Ifl itech mig150 around the 360£ mark British company duty cycle 150a @60%

1animal1 likes this.
  6. 1animal1 Member

That's not out of scope, thought you were going to say £600 ISH.... Any others to consider, or are we just going up in value from this one...

7. Jlg

Jlg Member

That's all I can recommend as its what I have and when I had to deal with customer service they were brilliant took my machine one day fixed the next then back the day after

1animal1 likes this.
  8. gaz1

gaz1 Member

I can tell you now you've got no chance unless you go gasless wire

Sorry to make it so blunt been down that rd myself and that was when I first started mug welding

First off get welder Clarke sip or dearly all in your price range getting one that's working or in reasonable condition is another matter

Gas expect to pay 90 or a Hobbyweld gas bottle

Then there's your ppe mask gloves also is good for those at moment even magnetic 90% can be bought there

Ageless wire

Quick to get going but wire is something to think about

Pick a better wire you will find out why when you first weld with it

1animal1 likes this.
  9. 1animal1 Member

Thanks Gaz, from reading gasless is harder isn't it and leaves splatter?

So are you saying it's pretty much impossible to pick up a MIG welder and learn to use within say a day, and for your technique to be useful to make something?

10. roofman

roofman "Hey!! calm down calm down"

When you get the welder just post a few pics up here mate...this place should be able to get your settings dialed in from what you present in pics;) Using MIG you should be able to spurt out pretty decent welds within 1 roll of wire if using good preparation and gas. Good luck in your hunt.

1animal1 likes this.
  11. 1animal1 Member

That's amazing, thanks fella.... It does seem that you either pick it up or you don't. Looking forward to having a bash at it, just hope I'm not s&@£

12. 1animal1 Member

Hi

Whats the story on the Itech 150 versus the slightly more expensive R-tech 180? Both do the same job or is one head and shoulders above?

13. 1animal1 Member

Rtech 180 purchased - figure I can sell it on for good money if this is the only piece of work I am likely to do. IN the end i was torn betweej that and the GYS 160, but that didn't include the gas valve and was slightly less on the power front, aswell of course, only 2 years warranty versus 3 for the Rtech. Ordered with 0.8 wire... wish me luck!

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  14. roofman

roofman "Hey!! calm down calm down"

No pics then don't come back:D....

1animal1 likes this.
  15. 1animal1 Member

I'll do a first weld and 20th so you can compare and ridicule as you see fit :D

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  16. gaz1

gaz1 Member

No offence but you might be better with a lidl arc welder than you would be with a mig welder for what you are intending to do with and get rid of after

If your intention is to do a lot more mig is easier

Also remember your costs buying a welder is a big expense in first place
    Then there's your gas
    Wire face mask and gloves

1animal1 likes this.
  17. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

Even if I had bought my welder new at 300 the bits I have repaired with it far out ways the cost of the unit one was a repair on a 3 seater sofa with 2 recliners a bar in it snaped I took it out welded it save me 800

Mates futon metal frame snaped 20 mins later back up and running son bought a mini moto cheap as rear brake was hanging off welded sold it 6 weeks later after him having fun on it for 60 quid paid 20 broken

Welders can be a life saver in meny situations if not in use take the wire out store it safe your 300/400 start up will soon pass

1animal1 and gaz1 like this.
  18. 1animal1 Member

Cheers Gaz, sadly it's too late... Purchase has been made based on my original advice on here. I figure if I don't still need it, I'll not be more than £100 out of pocket, which when added to the steel etc... Will be a lot less than the £2500+, these firms are asking for what I'm going to build... That said if I do a good job then I might make a couple of extras to make keeping the MIG more livable ;)

I managed to get wire in with the deal. Face mask and gloves given to me by a retired welder, and 20 litre 80/20 on order from BOC. Just need to grab the steel and a few bits now :)

gaz1 likes this.
  19. 1animal1 Member

Ok, here's my first 30 minute weld session, starting from the splatter in the middle and going anywhere and everywhere... That's using from 10-25lpm argoshield. Starting from the Rtech dual positions. However, the positions seem inaccurate. If I set the voltage to the same as the book, dial position, I get 50 or so with the book saying I should be on 88. So then dialing into 88... I start to mate progress. Messing with the wire speed... Trying to keep the gas at 10ish.... The welds start to get flatter.

• 20181017_200521.jpg
    • 20181017_200529.jpg
  20. 1animal1 Member

Here's my last attempt tonight on 10mm plate. Voltage around 88-90... Rest you can see on the display.... Any thoughts?

• 20181017_200534.jpg
    • 20181017_200556.jpg
Advertisements