First project - would this steel be ok

1. Vwnut New Member

so....I’ve got my smart mig and got it set up with 0.8 wire and CO2. I’ve done a few very minor repair patches on my van but thats it so far.

So....I’m going to go for it and build a table to replace my workbench in the garage. I’m going to make it movable so I can pull it around as and when needed. I’ve looked through the section on here for advice and examples, and I've decided it’ll be around 1.5m long and about 1m wide ish (depending on what material I can get).

I’ve been looking at available material (noticed people generally use 50x50x4mm stuff) and there’s a supply of 30x30x3mm that’s got surface rust on from being outside. It works out at around £1.70 a meter which seems like a good price. I was going to frame it at the top and near the bottom to make a full shelf.

Is this ok to use from a structural point of view? (Let’s assume a top plate of say 8mm thick)
    Will my smartmig 162 cope with it?
    Am I being too ambitious just going for it?

Any advice or comments appreciated

Thanks

Paul

2. sg66 Member

Your welder will be fine for that, as for the table your saying length 1.5 and width 1m I take it you mean depth, if so I would be probably narrowing the depth down a bit unless you specifically need a good depth for working on.

It's all good practice and you should find it easier to weld thicker stuff.

3. Vwnut New Member

So 3 front and 3 rear legs....good thinking :thumbup:

4. Vwnut New Member

Only reason I wanted it 1m x1.5m is that I often have engines in bits so the extra depth would come in real handy

5. Vwnut New Member

Will do :thumbup:

6. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

It's going to be movable, so being able to work from both sides will be a bonus - think.....kitchen island unit. :)

Vwnut likes this.
  7. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

30 x 30 will be fine but you might need to add some extra bracing in places where you might have a vice or use a hammer etc. One of my benches is similar to give you an idea, but I don't have a thick top on it and is fine for general use. Not got any pics of the final build but made this 6years ago according to my facebook page.

545001_10151029281605948_164114105_n.jpg 208852_10151029282265948_1921899102_n.jpg 285603_10151029281935948_165947430_n.jpg 644544_10151603070715948_456522188_n.jpg

Vwnut likes this.
  8. sg66 Member

Years I got the moveable bit just most of the time benches get pushed against a wall and 1m is quite deep but it's for the op, was just a suggestion, I'm planning on doing 2 movable benches out of heavier stuff and even with a v engine on I don't need any more than 2ft in depth but I'm pushed for space so it's a compromise.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
Advertisements