first mig weld

1. paulo1974 Member

hello
    i tried my first mig weld and it didn´t please me. can it be reverse polarity? torch (+) earth (-)

setup
    Machine : 140amp mig welder (transformer)
    amperage the 2 more powerfull (1+max)
    Gas: c02
    Wire: 0.6 steel
    wire speed 7 from 10 possibles
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

Somebody more experience with your type machine will be along soon, Grind your metal to have a nice clean weld area.

123hotchef likes this.
  3. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

2+max would be the high setting on that. Clean it back to shiny metal and practise before you try again. Get some .8 wire as well. Torch positive should be good with co2. Get the torch in closer and hold it steady with your spare hand as you move forward.

4. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

Also make sure that you have the work/earth return clamp on to bright shiny metal,

ajlelectronics and 123hotchef like this.
  5. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Are you able to see the workpiece to be welded clearly enough, once you strike the arc? Looks like you missed it on some attempts.

6. MBB Forum Supporter

That's even worse than my welds and I'm less than bad.

stuvy likes this.
  7. mr migwire

mr migwire It's more fun with metal.

as others have said max +2 settings and make sure the metal is cleaned back to shiny, make sure your return lead is clamped to clean metal to.

ajlelectronics likes this.
  8. eddie49 Member

Regarding your doubts about polarity: using solid steel wire with gas, the torch should be positive, and in your picture above, it is.
    The blue wire feeds from the + Dinse socket to the torch power input, and the earth cable is plugged into the - Dinse socket. All is O.K.
    As has been suggested above, before making actual joints, practice by just laying straight beads of weld on clean shiny 3mm sheet metal.
    If you are trying your first-ever welds with just the simple hand-held shield that is usually supplied with basic welders, you'll find it difficult. I'd recommend getting an automatic self-darkening helmet.

9. paulo1974 Member

i can´t see the piece after i start the arc . Maybe i must regulate my auto darking helmet to a brighter shade. the speed of the wire is ok or should it be slower?

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  10. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

A bright light helps too.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  11. Lazurus

Lazurus Member

Being a newbie myself, turning mask to shade 10 and a big bright light illuminating the work site made a huge difference, even with a cheap helmet. I also went for a cheater lens, again a revelation.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  12. MoreWellie Member

it looks like that metal is coated with something. If it is galvanised then the fumes from welding are particularly bad for you and if it is something else then that may be one reason you are having problems but I think this is more than one problem

I suggest starting with clean steel and trying to lay a weld on that

how much flow have you set on the gas? somewhere around 7 litres per minute would be about right

how far was the nozzle from the metal? somewhere around 5 to 10mm would be a good starting point

have you read the tutorials in the Mig section at the top of the page?

13. daedalusminos Member

Everything that's been said before.....is that solid rod or tube? If solid I'd bias towards that .... But your main problem is not being able to see!

gt6s likes this.
  14. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Can I ask what strength you went for, and a link to source please?

15. gaz1

gaz1 Forum Supporter

if thats 5mm or 10mm round bar your trying to weld with that mig welder not a chance every weld you do is going to be cold blobby

back up and try to weld the thin stuff on its own with that mig

id be welding that with arc not with a mig welder

16. paulo1974 Member

i got a second weld on that piece.
    i follow some advices and i got a good weld.
    1- bought a sheet of steel to make my welding table so i could ground the piece without any problem.
    2- set the machine to full power
    3- got my mask from 13 to 11 so now i can see what i was doing
    4- the wire speed was moved from 7 to 8 speed of 10.
    5- cleaned the two pieces to weld
    6- also put the nose of the torch closer to the work piece
    7- rested my hand on the pieces so i can get the two pieces without any gaps

on that first pictures my welds sounded like popcorns with this changed to the setup my weld sounded good.

MBB likes this.
  17. gt6s Member

After looking at those "WELDS" I cannot see.:scared:

18. postie jon Member

after 2 days of gastroenteritis ,seeing this has perked me up. sorry:fighting:

19. KennethSmith New Member

Looks messy:o

20. Pigeon_Droppings2 Member

Wonder if some of the problem is position?....are you resting the torch on your opposite hand or just firing from free space? When I started out I tended to strike the weld and then pull the torch away...took me a while to get a steady hand....used to wave it around like a light sabre when I started!

As others have said...is the piece nice and clean before yo started...including under the earth too.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
Advertisements