Fiberglass headlining?

1. julianf

julianf Member

The headlining on my landrover is stuffed.

Could I cover it in fiberglass (ie use the original as a pattern / mould) and then release the original mouldy cloth thing and just use the fiberglass?

If so, any idea on what it would cost me? There are kits about but I have no idea how many layers etc I would need, so just looking for and ice from someone with experience.

It's a defender 110, and I'd want it tough enough that I don't keep sticking things through it.

My plan would be to spray it with raptor bed liner when done, which, apparently, is possible over fiberglass.

The fiberglass kits are not cheap though, so I'm really just trying to get an idea at the moment.

Thank you.

2. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Would flock spraying be suitable, or does the Raptor bed liner have properties which make it more suitable? :dontknow:

3. outofthefire

outofthefire Member

Leeds
    If you've never done any fibreglassing I wouldn't even consider it, it's hard enough doing it on the flat without trying to do it above your head. I don't know for sure, but I would also think that the head lining is there to prevent condensation build up during the winter. If you don't have the air gap I think you'll need your hood up quite often.

4. Tinbasherdan

Tinbasherdan Bodger in chief

Was going to suggest LaSalle, as above they’re expensive but absolutely spot on

5. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Mix some resin and hardener, put your overalls and hat on then paint your old roof liner with it and let it set. Custom speaker housings are made like this using fleece and soaking it in situ with resin and hardener.

Morrisman and stuvy like this.
  6. stuvy

stuvy Member

exactly this

it’s not that hard nor is it that expensive

try east coast fibreglass supplies I use them at work and there great pm me if needed

I always use two brushes one for laying on and then remove the resin with the other or it can make it brittle

ajlelectronics likes this.
  7. julianf

julianf Member

Two points -

Im taking the metal roof off anyway, so the headliner is out.

So, I can either do the headliner alone, on the "bench" or, again, off the vehical, upside down, using the metal roof as a jig to keep it perfectly in place.

stuvy likes this.
  8. julianf

julianf Member

If I coat the old thing, and keep it, I'll still have the ecosystem...

You reckon there's no way of removing the old bit when done?

I know it's absorbent... : / But I don't know if resin will be too think to wick in?

The laselle ones may be good. But I paid £1500 for the vehical, with mot, and a laselle lining is £600!

stuvy likes this.
  9. hotponyshoes Member

The headlining acts as sound deadening.
    I would take it out and drive around for a couple of days to see if you are happy without it.
    I expect a fibreglass one will be noisier but raptor will stick to it fine and that does have some sound deadening properties so might be enough to cancel the noise out?

Either way, it would certainly be a lot easier and less messy to glass it out of the car with gravity helping you. As pedro says you could super glue down any damaged flappy bits then just dab over the fleece with resin. Dont put too much on at once as headlinings can be thermo formed and resting heats up when it cures and you dont want the whole thing going flat on you.
    You could lay fibreglass tissue matt over both sides if you just want to strengthen it up/smooth it off then raptor it. Cover the whole thing then cut out any holes after with a dremel/die grinder.

If you want to replace the whole thing with fibreglass you would have to take a mold of the original then lay up a new one into that mold.
    If it was just a one-off and the fit was not that critical you could get a big sheet of plywood or something, lay the existing headlining on it with the fleece facing up, go around the outside with a can of expanding foam to support it, get a sheet of plastic painter's masking and spray glue it to the fleece without getting any creases in it (probably impossible)
    Put a layer of tissue matt in there and brush with resin, Lay up a couple of layers of fibreglass and a final layer of tissue matt.
    Another sheet of plastic then fill the whole thing with warm water to press it all into place.
    You might not even need the tissue mat as the raptor will ide most of it but it does stop you being left with a load of sharp fibres sticking out.

10. julianf

julianf Member

Thank you.

All the above have been on technique though -

What I'd really like to do at this stage of planning is get an idea of cost.

I mean if it will cost me half of one of Jose laselle ones then I'd probably procrastinate forever and live with the mold.

11. a111r Member

The catalytic reaction is surprisingly exothermic. I was using some with wood recently, well loaded on - wispy smoke appeared.
    So I'd go rather easy, working with cloth.

5 L of resin and cat was about £28 delivery off Ebay. Doubt the grp mat is too much for what you need. Again, there's kits on Ebay or rolls of it at Selco etc.

12. hotponyshoes Member

If you buy the little kits from halfords its probably going to cost you £150.
    If you go to a boat builders with a couple of empty tubs for the resin and hardner and a bin liner for some matt its probably £20 and a tin of biscuits.

Buying it off the internet will be somewhere inbetween. Have a google for fibreglass supplies near you. Flat roofing places will be cheaper than boat building places.

I have got some glass here, let me know the sizes and I can have a look to see if there is enough. If there is you can have small amounts at he per/meter price of the big roll. Pretty sure I dont have any resin at the moment but once you know the size you can work out how much of that you need.

13. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

If the roof is off and upside down you could always bed your existing headlining card down on squirty high density foam, that would give it rigidity and keep it together while you dream up a covering. Just thoughts.

Bob

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  14. julianf

julianf Member

I'd considered that. It would, pretty much, be a one way job though, which bothered me a little. Once that foam stuff was all over the inside of the roof, and the existing lining set on top of it (well, underneath it in the end) that would be that - if it was no good it would, I suspect, be new roof time?

But, yes, I'd thought of that, and not totally written off the idea.

One ancillary point -

I'm going to plate over the sun roof. My existing lining has a hole for the sun roof. I figured I'd somehow get rid of it on the headlining too.

What I want, really, is somthing that doesn't grow, and doesn't catch on bits of timber etc when I fill up the back to the roof. If I raptor it I'm sure it will still get scratched, but it really isn't a glossy sports car - I just want somthing as solid as possible without hemorrhaging money on it.

15. stuvy

stuvy Member

Just pull the dead material off and use a few bits of ally riveted to add strength or wood

Iv done dozens of defender and disco roofs over the years

16. stuvy

stuvy Member

Raptor will make it bullet hard Iv done forks On a bmx and the fairing on an off road bike that’s been thrown into the bushes and really abused for two years with no cracks or signs of wear

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  17. OJCar Member

While the roof is off you could glue (using proper High Temperature Adhesive) Hardura Felt onto the underside of the roof.
    Hardura Felt has coloured vinyl on one side so acts as both sound deadener and a wipe clean headliner.
    You can get it in various colours, a friend did this very successfully on both his 90 and his Series 2A hardtops
    https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/category/127/hardura
    https://www.martrim.co.uk/car-trimming-supplies/hardura.php

https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/product/1554/high-heat-resistant-aerosol-adhesive
    https://www.martrim.co.uk/car-trimming-supplies/glues-and-adhesives.php

Or you could use one of Martrims Headlining kits
    https://www.martrim.co.uk/car-trimming-supplies/land-rover-defender-pvc-headlining-kits.php

stuvy likes this.
  18. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    stuvy likes this.
  19. Yes you can take a mould from the original. You need a release agent of some sort. Various methods exist, you could paint it then thoroughly wax it which will give you an accurate copy, or you could use flowcoat to cover it and then flat / polish it. Cheapskate method where finish doesn't matter is parcel tape or "fibreglass proof clear tape" which looks like 2" Sellotape.

Bear in mind that you need to create the mould which is negative and then once it is properly gone off, take a positive copy from it. It's a LOT of work mind.

stuvy likes this.
Advertisements