Femi 105 ABS Bandsaw

1. norlander

norlander Member

Normally I like to have had a piece of kit for a year before I report on it, but the Femi has been in almost daily use since July last year so that'll do.

Why did I buy it. Less noise and dust. No Oil. Saw head swivels not the workpiece.Fine kerf, no or very little clean up after cut. Very portable.

Why the choice of automatic. I had read on here that some find it useful as you can crack on with summat else whilst the saw is cutting.

In Use. Its been brilliant, the lower noise and dust factors mean I have continued to work, no need to cut outside, no noise pollution for the neighbours.
    I found it can cut slivers off if you need to get two pieces spot on or cut shims, it will probably shave 1/2 a mm off some stuff.

Blade, still on same blade from July. I cocked up somehow and kinked the blade, but it kept cutting ok, I got a new blade just in case, but eventually, the kink sorted itself out.

Accuracy, pretty good, fabricators don't normally need absolute precision for welding anyway.

Autosystem, I didn't use it much, didn't feel happy with it, and I like to nurse my machines, but, I have started to use it more and more and its a handy feature.

Problems; None really, one of the plastic Bristol locking levers lost its teeth and the blade tension knob cracked, both were replaced under warranty, but I have not bothered to replace em, I just use a pipe wrench to move the blade guide, no hassle.

Superhappy with it.

Overview here https://www.stakesys.co.uk/metal-cutting-bandsaws/femi-784xl-swivel-head-portable-bandsaw-230-volt

skotl and Windy Miller like this.
  2. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

Hi there, Norlander.

Mine's a 782xl - the same but without the automatic feed, I think.

Glad yours has been good (and mine, too - so far!) but still gotta feel for @dazza on this thread - I'm right in there singing it's praises, and yet his has chewed up one of the pulleys.
    I'm convinced it's something to do with tightening the blade "as far as you can".

Anyway, I'm right with you on the Femi saws.
    I also had some kind of minor "kink" in the blade that you could just hear as it went around, but it seemed to have sorted itself out, during the time I was getting hold of spares!

I ended up getting the manually fed one for the same reasons - sort of mollycoddling my blades - but when I'm cutting largish sections, I have to admit I'd quite like it if it self-lowered, as it can take quite a while to finish, but I was tight at the time of buying, so I can't change my mind now.

Good to hear you're as happy with it as I am with mine, though.

All the Best,
    CJ

3. dazza

dazza Member

I'm not giving up on the saw yet hopefully the service centre will get back to me soon. As with most things in Spain its taking ages.

4. norlander

norlander Member

hopr you get her back soon dazza, Joe, I still prefer to stand over mine and ease the cut through, I broke my budget on the ABS option, I don't regret it, handy yesterday when I had to break off tree felling to make a hook thingy, so bent and cleaned up bar for hook whilst femi cut the flat, then cleaned up the flat whilst it cut the bar to length.
    Small things please small minds :laughing::laughing:.
    The other feature of bandsaws of this type is the second speed for ali etc, not something an abrasive chop saw can do, and the racket from those Rage saws is hideous.

5. dazza

dazza Member

I've had my saw back from being fixed a couple of weeks now. I think there may be a problem with the speed switch as i cant tell the difference between one and two i'm sure before i sent it off i could (noise and blade speed).

6. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

Hey, there's a big noticeable difference, even with it runnung from a generator 18 inches from your head!
    Just went down to check!

Also, would you normally be expected to slacken off the blade between each and every cut?
    And yours sheared off before you'd had it a moment - which had me thinking it might be a dud.
    Having said that, if everyone else slackens theirs off, I could be wrong!

All the Best,
    CJ

7. dazza

dazza Member

Thanks CJ i thought i was going mad. Going to contact the main vendor in Spain this time i bet the service centre wired it up wrong after replacing the pulley.

8. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

It might well be wired wrongly - I dunno if you remember the shot I took of how mine was wired up when I first got it. I don't think I posted that photo on the Forum though - it's just in the PM.
    Maybe I should!

All the Best,
    CJ

9. dazza

dazza Member

The saw was collected today not by Femi but their distributor in Spain. I probably could have sorted the switch myself but don't see why i should have to. I've had enough now would prefer a new saw doubt thats going to happen though.

10. dazza

dazza Member

Got the saw back today with a new speed switch fitted. Hopefully will have no more problems with it.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  11. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

All that grief with back & forth calls/deliveries/returns/repairs etc, I would have hoped for a replacement by now.
    But, hey-ho!
    Hopefully it'll work properly now and you'll be able to use it when you need to, rather than wondering where it's got to on it's travels around europe!

All the Best,
    CJ

12. dazza

dazza Member

Thanks CJ

I did manage a couple of cuts today but they were a bit rough. Think the blade may have had it already. When they replaced the pulley i asked for a replacement blade expecting them to supply a femi one but it was another brand and i think not as fine.

13. norlander

norlander Member

After a year of use the dreaded moment arrived, the blade snapped, I was dreading changing it, but in fact I worked it out and stuff me -the new blade tracks ok. Its not a Femi blade, I ordered, using the femi specs but the bloke ordered some other make.
    I thought the price was a bit hefty, but when I opened the box, there were two. I had to flip em inside out to get the teeth direction right.
    I don't think they cut as fast as the femi blade, but they will do, I have ordered up Femi blades to go in stock.
    A years use is not bad.
    One thing I forgot about on the ABS model, is to set the "brake" for the material being cut.:doh:.
    Remembering to do that now, and that should increase blade life.
    Deffo well chuffed with this saw.

14. dazza

dazza Member

Does the blade have the same number of teeth? I also bought some locally and two blades came in the pack but no way near as good at the originals.

15. dazza

dazza Member

16. norlander

norlander Member

17. dazza

dazza Member

18. Country Joe Argoshield Dark

I've not been forced to use mine yet, unlike norlander, but if you're cutting very thin-walled tube, you could maybe do with something with a higher tpi than the original.

Hard to maintain the "at least three teeth in the cut" rule of thumb, when cutting very thin stuff, anyway.

They're sometimes not so easy to find - I'm guessing that most bandsaw use is for thicker tube or solid stock.
    I found the finer toothed ones at Tuffsaws.

All the Best,
    CJ

19. dazza

dazza Member

Thanks CJ the cheap blade cut ok today on some 3mm box. Will keep the femi blade as a back up.

20. dazza

dazza Member

Another question for you FEMI ABS owners.

When i cut box at 90ยบ it runs out. As if the blade is at an angle.

I'm thinking one or all of the below.

dull blade.

Not enough tension on the blade.

To much downforce from the auto cut.

Advertisements