Felt I didn't have enough projects! Colchester Master 2500

1. MattH

MattH Member

Feeling that the 20 odd outstanding projects I have waiting on my time at the moment wasn't enough. And that I needed something else to tuck into another corner of the workshop and cast furtive guilty glances at once in a I while. I jump on a cheap lathe.

This Colchester Master 2500 came up on Facebook marketplace on Sunday within 20 miles of home for £450.

I felt I could easily part it out for a profit so jumped in with both feet and bought it blind.
    Collected it today:

2018-11-20 11.22.23.jpg 2018-11-20 14.18.21.jpg

MattF, James1979, Mattuk and 10 others like this.
  2. Hood

Hood If it walks like a duck....

Powered it yet? If so how does the headstock sound? If it is good then that is a bargain.

3. MattH

MattH Member

It's fairly grungy and will need a strip down and clean.
    The bed has some wear as the carriage is fairy tight at the tailstock end.
    I pulled the cross slide gib and it has some wear, I think mainly from lack of lubrication.
    Drive train looks in good order and the spindle is free and smooth.
    2018-11-20 14.18.26.jpg 2018-11-20 14.18.30.jpg 2018-11-20 14.19.06.jpg

slim_boy_fat, Pete. and Hood like this.
  4. MattH

MattH Member

@Hood
    I've not powered it up yet, but I pulled the headstock cover and the gearbox looks very clean and in good condition.
    Just rotating the spindle by hand causes gear oil to fling off the gears so it's clearly stayed lubricated.
    I can't see any damaged teeth or chips at the bottom either.

2018-11-20 15.15.51.jpg 2018-11-20 15.15.35.jpg 2018-11-20 15.15.39.jpg 2018-11-20 15.15.43.jpg

MattF, fizzy, indy4x and 4 others like this.
  5. MattH

MattH Member

I'll power it up before I delve in to deep but both the CNC's are running at the moment so I would hear anything anyway.

indy4x likes this.
  6. Hood

Mine looked good as well but loads of bearing shot (not spindle ones thankfully) shafts worn but all gear teeth looked fine. I did however find a tooth in the bottome when I stripped it to replace the bearings and get the shaft hard chromed and ground. I looked again at the gears and definitely no teeth missing so I sighed with relief, that was until I rebuilt and the bleeding noise was still there :D Someone must have replaced some gears prior to me getting it and then punted it on to the farmer whom I bought it from. He didn't have 3 phase where it was stored so I couldn't test it, I think that may have been deliberate as I know farmers well ;)

Anyway hopefully yours is a good one, if not then you could always fit a servo instead :D

MattH likes this.
  7. Hood

Oh believe me if it is anything like mine you would hear it all right :D

MattH likes this.
  8. Pete.

Pete. Member

Looks pretty good in there though looking at the lube well for the rear spindle bearing it could do with a right good flush out and new oil.

MattH likes this.
  9. MattH

MattH Member

If the headstock is good then I will probably completely rebuild this lathe (at some point) from the ground up.
    If the headstock is bad I might convert the lathe to CNC and do as Hood has or sell it for parts.

Fingers crossed it's good in there, hopefully tomorrow I will find time to power it up.

10. Hood

Mine is still a manual, just a servo spindle motor driving direct to the spindle and missing out the headstock gears. The gearbox etc is still driven via the servo.

MattH likes this.
  11. mcostello

mcostello Member

Lancaster, Ohio
    Have the same lathe and might need spindle bearings.

12. Turbo Member

I could be wrong but I think there was somebody on here looking for parts for one of these, maybe a tailstock. :dontknow:

13. MattH

MattH Member

Think I have been very lucky with this lathe guys.
    I ran it up today to take a listen to the gearbox. It runs like a top.
    Very quiet and smooth (see vids).

eLuSiVeMiTe, galooph, Seadog and 2 others like this.
  14. Hood

I actually think it may just be in the first stage of the gearing in my headstock that the noise is coming from, might even be the wee single gear next to the clutch or possibly the clutch gears themselves. I have often toyed withthe idea of somehow fitting a chain drive internally to miss out the clutch and drive via

Ha ha like how you have the leadscrew engaged in the last vid, planning on doing some manual threading to a should at that rpm? :D

Certainly sounds good, slightly quieter than mine.

MattH likes this.
  15. MattH

MattH Member

Christ almighty!

16. Hood

Can you say that a bit louder, I didn't quite hear you.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  17. MattH

MattH Member

Christ almighty!

garethp, slim_boy_fat and Hood like this.
  18. fizzy Member

uk
    Wow what a bargain.
    Don't feel so bad now about selling my Triumph 2000 for £600 a few years ago when I just didn't have the space. Looks like some bargains still out there.

MattH likes this.
  19. ukracer Forum Supporter

Mine now has a brother.....lets hope we get loadsbif vids and pics as you clean it up and check for play. ;)

20. ukracer Forum Supporter

Does it need a new double drive belt..let me know where you get one from if it does..lol

Advertisements