Expensive watches

1. keithski122 Member

uk
    This is similar to the post about classic cars as an investment.
    I've just sold my hobby car as I was never using it and it was just sitting in the garage getting in the way.I've now got £5k just hanging around, I don't need it for anything urgently and was thinking of buying a nice watch rather than dipping into it now and again and wasting it on general stuff.
    I would like the watch to hold its value, if it looses a little in value it wouldn't worry me but increasing in value would be nice.Obviously used rolexs are a good buy what other options do I have? It probably won't get worn as it would be unsuitable for work(might also buy a nice, cheap watch) and I never go anywhere that I would wear a decent one.

2. fizzy Member

uk
    Omega or Patek Phillipe .

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  3. roofman

roofman "Hey!! calm down calm down"

upload_2018-10-11_21-4-46.jpeg

Rig Pig and Parm like this.
  4. CompoSimmonite Member

Sovereigns would be a better investment

5. keithski122 Member

uk
    Not necessary an investment, just something nice that will hold its value.Something that could be used should I wish so no ladies watches or watches that I dislike stylewise.
    I do like that rolex just my style apart from the green which is a bit "flash" for my tastes.
    Haven't looked at omega and never heard of Patek Phillipe but will look into both.

6. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

I have a few watches up to around £2000, But the one I promise that I'm going to treat myself to one day is the Omega triple calendar, Lots of very good fakes about in the expensive watch market, so be careful.

monky harris, fizzy and slim_boy_fat like this.
  7. daleyd

daleyd Member

I think you’d struggle to get a Patek Phillipe watch for anywhere near 5k!!

Olderisbetter, skotl and Tom Orrow L like this.
  8. Tom Orrow L

Tom Orrow L Welding Supplies Direct

Multiply that figure by ten and then multiply that figure by 3 and you’ll be in the ball park!

daleyd likes this.
  9. fizzy Member

uk
    Lol prob not these days.

10. fizzy Member

uk
  11. addjunkie

addjunkie Forum Supporter

Funny this should pop up, Ive just been looking for myself after seeing the new Tudors in a shop today.

For used watches that hold value you wont go far wrong with rolex, or omega. Do some research though, some models a better bet than others. Try to get box and paperwork too, it adds value

Blowers of hull are a respected used watch dealer.
    https://www.blowers-jewellers.co.uk/rolex-watches/

12. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

Hempel, who I used to work for, have an almost monopoly on the supply of steel for watches...believe it or not the stainless used for them is not a standard grade
    The story of it is here...https://hempel-metals.com/en/Staybrite-the-brand.htm

Incidentally they accidentally inherited the brand name staybrite from Firth Vickers.....who set me on as a trainee Metallurgist, many years ago.

slim_boy_fat and rtcosic like this.
  13. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

I don't get the fascination of expensive watches. A friend of mine buys and sells them and makes a few quid but if you want to make a killing you would have to hang onto them for a long time, even longer if you buy from dealers.

Hopefuldave and daleyd like this.
  14. Wozzaaah

Wozzaaah The wizard of woz Staff Member

Wiltshire, UK
    hunter27 and roofman like this.
  15. gt6s Member

Don't buy just one get a few lower value big brand name ones, I like old Omegas.

Laurence

16. fizzy Member

uk
    Well there are all sorts of things that go into such watches. My brother is the watch expert but I remember him telling me that on some complex mechanical watches it could take say 100 years to complete a full cycle. A cog that moves that slowly must take some doing!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourbillon

Lovely objects but worth £2 millon? Well I suppose the people working at Patek Phillipe are very pleased there are people who will spend that kind of money!

17. roofman

roofman "Hey!! calm down calm down"

DAPPH and Tom Orrow L like this.
  18. voipio Member

Cambridge, UK
  19. Bladevane

Bladevane Member

I would go for premium bonds. Your capital is safe and easy to access and you stand a chance of winning anything from £25 to £1M every month. Or nothing of course.

20. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Advertisements