English electric arc welder

1. Michael norton New Member

Hi all been a welder for about 20+ years,and been clearing units for the last 10 years.i recently got a really old English electric oil cooled cooled 250 amp welder.doesnt have any leads.but as 2 large terminals at the back and one at the side.its the same one jcb started there business with.2 big amp switches.and large deepstick.on the top.i weld Skips up for a firm and always have good results with oxfords and other oil cooled sets.i want to know how to wire it up.ive had the cover off the top.there no connector apart from the two large connectors.at the back.i really want to get this back running.any pointers would be appreciated.

Memmeddu likes this.
  2. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

You want to sell that to a museum by the sound of it, JCB would definitely be interested I bet. :D Put some pictures up someone will have seen something similar and have an idea what goes where. What does the amperage control look like on it ?

3. Michael norton New Member

Hi il go over to my unit this morning and get some pics the amperage control are grey alloy disc that click when you turn them,like a oxford but you don't have to lift,to select amperage.il take some pics to get you some idea thanks again

Memmeddu likes this.
  4. Michael norton New Member

Hi thanks here’s the pics any information on wiring it back up.to good to scrap British engineering at its best

• 636EB969-0050-4D10-A30A-E589077FE67B.jpeg
    • 3DB2BB64-651C-4F3C-B504-D90F8D32278F.jpeg
    • D9A3E431-8C6E-4530-B38E-3C5648427D61.jpeg
    • 28F10F50-FE94-4007-AB71-1CF13D6FCEEE.jpeg
    • 073A096D-3419-42D5-9B0A-4DC5ED211E6E.jpeg
    • 3EFF67B2-C2DA-43D4-BDDA-66CBDF844D40.jpeg
    • 6859AE5E-29F0-400C-BD7D-908D60602586.jpeg
    Memmeddu likes this.
  5. Rig Pig

Rig Pig Member

It's a Quasi Arc machine, there are quite a few posts on here about them and on the internet in general.

Memmeddu and Brad93 like this.
  6. Stingray Member

Quite a new one by the looks of it, the ones I’ve used had more rounded edges and bigger controls for adjusting amps...

Brad93 likes this.
  7. Michael norton New Member

I've found nothing on the internet on this model.maybe the newer quasiarc ones yes.but this is from the 1940s same as jcbs first welder.ive had a few of the 300amp 4 wheel type with handle on the front.they where easy to wire up.

8. Tigman

Tigman Forum Supporter

Hi Michael take the small plate off the top and take a picture of whats inside , im sure it will be the same as mine

Memmeddu likes this.
  9. Tigman

Tigman Forum Supporter

have a look at the thread " Quasi-Arc ACP 450P "

Memmeddu likes this.
  10. Wallace

Wallace Member

Nice looking bit of kit, have you tried Googling the diagram and transformer numbers listed on the name plate?

Watch out for any switch marked “afterburners”!

18E57DB6-E9B9-4887-896B-CD076053ED14.jpeg

11. Michael norton New Member

I'll get some pics tommorow I took the plate off it'about a week ago and was straight into the transformer tank filled with oil no connection blocks .

Memmeddu likes this.
  12. Tigman

Tigman Forum Supporter

really , thats not like mine then !:whistle:

13. harveyblades New Member

[​IMG]

2 large terminals at the back are input power. I had to make plugs for mine. One at the side is welding current. 2 bolts at the front near the bottom. Big bolt is to drain it, smaller bolt right hand side is ground. Image above shows you how to connect it for 200v or 440v input voltage. Open the small hatch on the top. Gloves and respirator advised as PCBs in the oil. I have mine set up for 200v and am running it on 240v single phase – bit hot but those are the options as far as I can tell.

Memmeddu likes this.
  14. harveyblades New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

First image is what you'll see when you open the hatch. Second image is it's 600 amp big brother.

Memmeddu and Rig Pig like this.
  15. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

How works it?
    I can not understand how you dial the amperage.

16. Rig Pig

Rig Pig Member

I think you set the amps on these dials.
    Screenshot_20200214-144033_Chrome.jpg

Memmeddu likes this.
  17. harveyblades New Member

[​IMG]

Here's a look inside with the whole lid taken off. Those circular pins are where the amperage is adjusted by the dials when the lid is on. Probably a big inductor under there to flatten out the ac waveform and reduce the amperage that way. Not sure though, certainly not sticking my nose in there as that oil is nasty stuff.

Memmeddu likes this.
  18. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

Ok now I've understood ,the two bar on the left are commutators
    switching the primary windings is possible to adjust the amperage/voltage output
    Less the resistance , higher the input current, higher the voltage and current output
    The other one switches the various secondary windings (probably making the parallel)

I'm pretty sure that the two big knobs you mentioned are what you are supposed to use to connect the mains power

19. harveyblades New Member

Sure, not looked at it in depth due to the oil hazard. Mains power is connected in the circled part.

[​IMG]

Memmeddu likes this.
  20. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

I will say something I've never thought because reasons.
    But I want one of those oil cooled units , never saw one , never used one , never thought to want one
    But I found you all are pretty happy with them and they are kind of cool/different standards design from what we see nowadays here in Italy

Advertisements