Elliott 10M Shaper

1. RobCox

RobCox Member

I picked up this machine last weekend with a view to doing a restoration job on it once I've finished the Eagle Surface Grinder. It has a base which I removed to make it a bit more stable for transport.

Its only a 10" stroke model, but its still heavy enough to make it worthwhile dragging the engine crane and pallet truck along for the ride:

20191207_124306.jpg

[​IMG]

The base can easily be lifted by 2 people, but the top weighs in at about 350kg. Here it is stowed for transport:

[​IMG]

Its now sitting in my garage waiting for me to strip it down, fix it up and give it a coat of paint:

[​IMG]

Whilst I was picking it up, the chap selling it had several other bits of machinery. 2 were sold, but he had this little manually driven metal planer, like a toy version of the one that Keith Rucker is renovating on his Youtube channel. It seems in good nick, just needs a clean and a handle adding. The ways looked smooth and not at all pitted:

20191207_131548.jpg 20191207_131628.jpg 20191207_131800.jpg 20191207_131849.jpg

He hadn't put it on ebay as he wasn't sure what it was. If I had room for another machine I might have been tempted, but as I haven't, I offered to show these pics on this forum in case anyone would like to acquire it. If you're interested, PM me and I'll pass you his details. No idea how much he'll want for it, but its part of an estate sale.

Rob

• 20191207_124311.jpg
    • 20191208_124814.jpg
    • 20191208_144755.jpg
  2. spencer 427 Member

I like the planer

3. Spark plug

Spark plug Member

That’s right up your street Spencer :thumbup:

spencer 427 likes this.
  4. spencer 427 Member

Yer it's a cool little bit of kit

Spark plug likes this.
  5. spencer 427 Member

PM has been sent

Arc Tourist, Spark plug and decca like this.
  6. optima21 Forum Supporter

come on, lets be fair, its old and metal you like it :D:D

7. Pete.

Pete. Member

Goddamn it I want that planer.

fizzy, Arc Tourist and Gritineye like this.
  8. Gritineye Member

Sussex UK
    Just a tip, but if there are any through bolts holding the top to the base or holes best to seal them now before the lube pool of oil starts to spread out over the floor.

9. barking mat

barking mat Barking at Pigeons

Me too.

10. MBB Forum Supporter

Like the planer as an ornament. They aren't much use unless yo put a milling head onto it.

11. steviec_lj

steviec_lj Rust Welding Professional

Have a 1A shaper, basically the same thing under Alba instead of Elliot.

Be interested in the plane, depending on price obviously, and whether Spencer beats me to it

12. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Forum Supporter

essex england
    Far from it
    Single point produce a more accurate surface finish therefore flatter
    Also perfect for dovetails on machine parts.
    Wouldn’t use one for hogging off material though, that would get old quickly!

Dieselkid 63 and Spark plug like this.
  13. pressbrake1

essex england

Ancient_Axeman and jordhandson like this.
  14. pressbrake1

essex england

jordhandson and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  15. RichardM Member

That's quite mesmerising watching it go back and forward.

16. Arc Tourist

Arc Tourist Forum Supporter

Me too !
    About the only space I could currently put it is in the living room, and I have a feeling the Wife would not be happy about that. :scared:
    Finding a small planer like that one is about as easy as finding a Polar Bear in the Desert.

EDIT: Check out . . . . . . . "Old Steam Powered Machine Shop" on YouTube, Dave is restoring a large metal planer.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  17. MBB Forum Supporter

@pressbrake1
    I didn't mean the larger planers were no good and had limited use. I worked on one for four years I also worked on a Butler 36" stroke shaper for. for flat surfaces that had not to be ground they were the best thing going.
    The one in the picture is very small, I've had two which were very pretty but very limited. The bench that they were on had to be bolted down as they would be easily moved when using the lever' great if you wanted muscles like Popeye.

18. MBB Forum Supporter

I liked the tool lifter on the clapper box on the lathe bed vid. There seems to be a solenoid to lift the tool. Without the lifter carbide tool edge used to break and you were limited to HSS. To use carbide I used to put a little flapper on the tool shank.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  19. jordhandson Member

Nice one, I thought I saw you down my way;) did you get the vice that was on it on it :thumbup: I have the same machine

20. ronan

ronan Member

dublin

We had a planer similar to that in the place i served the last year of my time at. It was not used much, the work for it had disappeared.

Advertisements