Electro-Zingue vs Cataphorese Chassis coatings

1. malcolm

malcolm & Clementine the Cat

I've ordered a new chassis for my Renault 4 van. The rear suspension fell off the old one so it was probably about time.

Struggling to translate French into English and the manufacturers don't offer any clues. Cataphorese costs 350 euros more than Electro-Zingue

I'm guessing Cataphorese is ecoat which is a dip that should also treat the inside of the chassis, but it's black and that seems a bit odd as we prefer a greeny brown over here. I have no idea if electro-zinque is some sort of zinc dip or just some zinc rich paint charged to reduce wastage.

I want to figure out if I need to paint the thing when it gets here. I ordered Cataphorese because it's black already and I don't have a paint shop set up just now. Can anyone make sense of it, maybe speak French or have ideas about the terms?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  2. galooph

galooph Forum Supporter

3. malcolm

Thanks for that. Looking like an e-coat then. I wonder if that's what the better quality suspension components that don't instantly go rusty are coated with. Tempted not to paint as stonechip isn't the problem on the R4 once you add some wheelarch liners.

galooph likes this.
  4. barking mat

barking mat Member

If you want any French translating pm me.

gordon stephenson likes this.
  5. malcolm

Figured it out. In this case elecro-zinque is the zintec coating that the mild steel comes in and burns away near welds. The Cataphorese is a European e-coat bath which happens to be black in colour rather than the green we tend to have over here.

I'm still tempted not to paint but I know I should now. These things rust from the inside and abrasion isn't an issue if you add wheelarch liners. I'll see what it looks like when it arrives towards the summer.

galooph likes this.
Advertisements