Dual Action Polisher

1. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Anyone got a recommendation for a good reasonably priced dual action car polisher?

2. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

Don't know about dual action, BUT Aldi or Lidl have a variable speed car polisher in at the moment,

Burdekin likes this.
  3. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Thanks. Got a rotary been advised that a dual action is more gentle and better for old celly paint so looking at getting one.

mike os and mtt.tr like this.
  4. julianf

julianf Member

I kind of thought most would be da?

My brother gave me a cheap Halfords one onece (that broke quite quickly) - even that was da.

5. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

No don't thinks so, think most are rotary but certainly could be wrong.

6. maz0

maz0 Forum Supporter

The Kestral DAS6 was always considered the go-to beginners DA polisher on he detailing forums, costs around 100 quid depending which accessories you get with it. I believe you could sit on it while its spinning and the paint still wouldn't burn through.

Burdekin likes this.
  7. anjum Member

RaceDiagnostics and Burdekin like this.
  8. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

@Burdekin I have a Meguiars one, not the cheapest but have never been able to fault it. :thumbup:

Burdekin likes this.
  9. northwest

northwest Member

Burdekin likes this.
  10. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark Member

PM tonight, after 19:00.
    I may have a spare, I will get images

slim_boy_fat and Burdekin like this.
  11. Rannsachair

Rannsachair Forum Supporter

8ob, Tangledfeet, stuvy and 3 others like this.
  12. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

13. marlinspike Member

United Kingdom
    I have the Argos Challenge one and have found it great value for money. I had a cheap rotary polisher but it was useless tbh. The only downside of the Argos one is the shortish lead and I think it is probably a bit noisier than the expensive brands. You don't get any pads with it - just a cheap foam one. I got some Lake Country ones from a shop that has sadly now shut, but they are usually around £4 - 6 each online.

Autofinesse have pads for £3.50 online, but not sure how they compare to the bigger name brands.
    https://www.autofinesse.com/en/revi...MIyb7KiLLZ5wIVkkDTCh0Y1AriEAQYBSABEgKyMfD_BwE

The Detailing World web site has a lot of good info on using da polishers, best pads, polish etc.
    https://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php

I don't have any pics, but using a clay mitt, and Meguiers Ultimate Compound with a da polisher, then Black Hole Glaze with the da, brought back the black paint on my Saab resto fantastically. It was rough and dull to start with but like glass by the time I'd finished.

Burdekin and slim_boy_fat like this.
  14. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Kestrel das6 is a good choice.

anjum, Burdekin and slim_boy_fat like this.
  15. slim_boy_fat

And start with the least abrasive compound, then work up being careful [less enthusiastic :whistle: :D] on panel edges where the paint tends to be thinnest.

I bought a cheapy PTG off the 'Bay years back and found it useful, although it doesn't differentiate between different strata on the bodywork. :(

anjum and Burdekin like this.
  16. Domdom Forum Supporter

Just to throw a spanner in the works, a rotary machine will do the job quicker. I’ve used a Makita for 10 years, through 2 sets of motor brushes and I never found a DA machine that comes anywhere close for achieving a show finish in a reasonable time.

The key is technique and consumables. Good pads and quality polishes such as Menzerna, 3M etc.

Paint type is largely irrelevant but knowing the relative hardness of them is. For example, cellulose is regarded as being soft. But compared to paint on Japanese cars of late it’s positively hard. 2k acrylic is regarded as being hard but again, some of the modern 2k blacks are like swiss cheese and can be marred with a microfibre cloth. The only way to tell is to try it using a soft pad and very fine polishing compound. Check the results and go from there.

The Makita is an expensive machine but there are now some copies which are less than a ton and I would buy one of those if I needed to replace mine. I wouldn’t buy a dual action machine due to the time they take to achieve the same finish.

8ob, Bullet2012, anjum and 1 other person like this.
  17. slim_boy_fat

Undoubtedly, but in the hands of someone inexperienced at this malarky it has the potential to burn through - not a good thing. :vsad:

18. Domdom Forum Supporter

Honestly, I have never burnt through any paint finish in all the years I’ve been doing this, pretty much since most people were importing the Porter Cable from the USA. You do really have to behave like a hooligan to do damage. Even in inexperienced hands they re fine as long as common sense prevails.

19. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark Member

A rare coin in some parts.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  20. Domdom Forum Supporter

^ True enough.

Advertisements