Dropping a TV from the ceiling

1. winchman

winchman Member

I have been thinking of doing this for some time.
    So 32" TV how would you design it to lower from the ceiling?

2. tlovatt Member

Rugby, UK
    Depends how much space you have above, the motor mount I have for my TV states it can be used upside down to drop down from the ceiling, alternatively you can get some that fold up - but they need a lot of space to swing and look a mess when up or down. It is normally better to have it motorise up out of something if you can.

3. AndySV1K Member

Do you mean so that it's hidden completely when retracted? i.e above the ceiling.

Few years back for a project in London I made a TV mechanism that hid a 55" screen, it had a huge artwork piece on a metal frame that used slides to move the artwork sideways to reveal the TV. No track or mechanisms on show at all. It was quite a feat! Was all controlled by the main system so that when you selected the TV, the slide started and everything turned on.

Think I have a video of it somewhere.

I have accounts with people that make off the shelf mechanisms to do all sorts but they are big bucks.

Andy.

4. Pete.

Pete. Member

Call yourself a Winchman? You should know this already....

Barlidge, MattF, slim_boy_fat and 7 others like this.
  5. gaz1

gaz1 Member

6. winchman

winchman Member

I know enough to know that cheap winches are noisy unreliable and just about to fail when you most need them

7. winchman

winchman Member

Thanks thats the sort of info I was after, I am thinking of concealing it in the loft space

8. tlovatt Member

Rugby, UK
    Then you just need to build a box above, cut a hole in the ceiling and use something like

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/28-Autom...h=item4427c81051:g:Gz8AAOSwIFtaCmnh:rk:3:pf:0

the unit screws into the containment box, you put an infill ceiling piece to cover the hole on the bottom and mount the tv - most tv lift units will work upside down but it is best to specifically ask the seller as well.

Simpler option is something like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Allcam-E...m=372074637776&_trksid=p2047675.c100008.m2219

but they look a mess and are always on display

9. The other thing to bear in mind is that the screen needs to be at eye level in use. You will very soon get fed up of sitting craning your neck, besides the fact that may damage your neck muscles. This is why the "Over fireplace" fashion died out so quickly.

10. winchman

winchman Member

Thanks it looks expensive but by the time you look at buying all the odds and ends to make one its good value, I did buy one a few years ago then found it could only lift and not lower I will give it more thought.

11. winchman

winchman Member

Just had a look at this and I dont think its designed to be hung from the loft?

12. winchman

winchman Member

Currently looking at a wheel chair winch and fabricating my own bracket

13. winchman

winchman Member

Any ideas for a supplier of draw slides?

Just got a winch motor for £23

14. sasquar Member

poole dorset
    i did the opposite and built a cabinet with a lift in it. I looked at all the options, and in the end went for a proper linak actuator..... cheap it wasnt, but it gets used every day, and hasnt missed a beat in the 5 years its been in use..... could i have built somethign simialr that worked, yes, certainly, but it would almost certainly have been comprimised in some way or another. Im pretty much the patreon saint of tight fistedness, but decided with this one to just pay the money and get the elegant solution. May not be the same in your case, but i was seriously spacially challanged, and it was the only way i could see to meet the required parameters....

15. winchman

winchman Member

I just can't fit an end of bed one it.
    Had a good look at all the Ebay lifts and none are really suited to dropping the TV down.
    Quite looking forward to doing it just have to try and get all the bits cheaply, work threw loads of draw runners away last years I only got one pair as it was all I needed at the time!

16. Barlidge

Barlidge Forum Supporter

Server runners might do although they tend to only extend the depth of the server - 700mm - 900mm ish

17. gaz1

gaz1 Member

Advertisements