Double door railing.

1. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

A little stainless rail ive quoted for to go on some double doors on a loft conversion. I wanted to build a frame that was fitted with glass but they wanted railings. Big and bold, modern and simple was the request. A sketch was agreed.
    I've done the cutting, clamping, squaring and welding. Got 4 fixing points to put on then ive got the welds to buff out and the whole thing to polish and regrain.

• image.jpg
    • image.jpg
    • image.jpg
  2. Tigman

Tigman Forum Supporter

Nice job !

Richard. likes this.
  3. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

Thanks. Pretty simple straight forward stuff. Hopefully I'll get chance to take a pic or two once they've fitted it to see how it looks.

4. eSCHEn

eSCHEn Bit Wrangler Staff Member

Nice and tidy mate.

5. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

Cheers D. :)
    You done much recently

6. eSCHEn

Very little due to other pressures but did get some time on some copper, welding up a WP9 gas diffuser. Really.

Richard. likes this.
  7. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

Oh yeah. What was that then a repair?

8. Simon-

Simon- Member

Nice and neat Richard as always

Bandsaw earning its keep? :)

9. eSCHEn

I was trying to make a wand for the pyrography thing I was making. Ain't got no lathe or other means so I adapted a wp9 pen style torch and welded up the tig end to a flattened piece of copper pipe.

The actual weld went good but the part is still crap >_<

Well it actually went: 5 more amps, 10 more, 20 nothing. No pool. Keep doing that then it's holy filler feeding into that super runny pool!

Richard. likes this.
  10. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

It certainly is As always Si. Cheers.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  11. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

I've so got to see a pic of what you mean when you get chance mate.

12. Kent

Kent Member

I still get a chill in my blood when someone mentions polishing and re- graining stainless

I should like to see what that looks like fitted at present I am failing to get it, just looks like a sort of cage door
    Not for something a bit kinky is it?

13. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

It's a railing that sits across a set of double doors in a loft conversion to stop you falling out when the doors are open. What's not to get!!!!!!!! It needs to be re grained and polished. It's gonna be subject to our British weather. What's wrong with it.

14. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

These were the preferred design ideas. This is obviously much smaller so we agreed on the design based on its size and what they wanted. I would of preferred to build an open frame fitted with glass but they wanted a railing type. Vertical bars were not what they wanted as they said it would look too much like prison bars. I put 2 verticals in as you can see to make it like the first picture but used chunky box section to give it the modern simple bold look like the second. I quite like it and it was dead easy to build, I got the satin box quite cheap so it's nice and profitable for me and a saving for them. image.jpeg image.jpeg

DAPPH and eSCHEn like this.
  15. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

Nice little job Richard, they certainly look nice and chunky, it would be worth pickling the joints to properly passivate them, nothing worse than rusty looking welds on stainless, not to mention the inconvenience of having to deal with the problem on site.
    I made a stainless one for the same type of application a while ago, local Building control didn't like horizontal bars as they can be climbed too easily by kids, so I made this one
    DSCF0199.JPG

Using a smaller material means it dosn't look too bad from the inside, frame is 30 x 30 with 25 x 25 infill
    railing4.jpg

16. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

I have a tub of pickling paste which I was gonna use for the inside corners, would you suggest I use it for the buffed out butt joints too? These are 40 x 40. They look a nice job there Paul yes that's a similar application here.

17. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

I would use it on all the joints, then finish with a garryson block and scotchbrite, use a small brush to avoid smearing it too far from the joint, I usually leave a bit of scotchbrite with the customer on these kind of jobs, and spend a few minutes explaining how to maintain the finish, a wipe down with some stainless steel cleaner just before you leave the job is the finishing touch.
    If you can find some in the uk I would recommend this http://www.sheilashineinc.com/ I had a case given to me some time ago its nearly all gone now so am looking for some more.
    or even a wipe with some baby oil if nothing else available

Richard. likes this.
  18. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

Cracking tips there Paul cheers. Yeah whenever I use pickling paste I always apply with a small brush. I'll use it on all the joints then as you suggest to be safe. Cheers for link. I'll be sure to do all of the above. Much appreciated.

19. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

20. eSCHEn

Richard. likes this.
Advertisements