Dont do that. It will kill you!!

1. Jackfrost New Member

uk
    Hi All, Not sure if this is the right forum to post in as it applies to several.

The other day I was watching you tube welding videos and came across one where the presenter said "Don't use brake cleaner to clean your welding materials because it will react with the Argon to produce Phosgene gas". Now that rang my BS alarm considering Argon, as I remembered it, is an inert gas so I had a quick Google. Turns out it's the UV light that breaks down Chlorinated compounds into Phosgene. Good to know!!

Which brings me to the point of this post, wouldn't it be a good idea to have at least a sticky in each Forum, if not it's own Forum for things that will kill you or at least do serious damage to you if you were ignorant enough to do them. I appreciate that the qualified and pro's will doubtless know this sort of stuff already but there's plenty of us that can't find a local course and/or buy a welder and teach ourselves that wouldn't.

2. Woody.v8

Woody.v8 Blue gluer

AFAIK brake cleaners aren't chlorinated anymore.
    There has been lengthy threads about the subject before.

3. Windy Miller Forum Supporter

Kent, UK
    Not 100% sure but I have a feeling that the ingredient that makes the phosgene gas is not present in UK brake cleaners.

VERY happy to be proved wrong though! I often (always) use brake cleaner to clean off cutting oil before I weld. This subject has come up on here before, and on the basis that it's OK with UK brake cleaners, I still use it...

4. MattH

MattH Member

A list instructing ignorant people on how not to kill themselves could be quite a list!

MattF, Jlg, eLuSiVeMiTe and 5 others like this.
  5. Woody.v8

Woody.v8 Blue gluer

That's what the Darwin awards are for.

slim_boy_fat and mrsbruce like this.
  6. penfold

penfold Ambassador plenipotentiary

Welding near significant quantities of any volatile solvent is a bad idea regardless of whether it has chlorine compounds in it; if you're degreasing let the stuff evaporate for a reasonable time first.

Windy Miller likes this.
  7. Jackfrost New Member

uk
    It was simply an example of something that might qualify. I'm sure there are loads of ways you can do yourself in when welding. Unfortunately as a newbie I only know about Heavy metal poisoning and now the potential for Phosgene. I remember being told of the arc taken out of the I-beam when the welder turned himself into the electrode but then I've seen idiots fooling around on TV giving their "mates" zaps with the end of their torch. Point is, a thread dedicated to these things might well be a useful resource for those of us starting out. If it was placed somewhere obvious it might draw attention more readily. Take the Phosgene issue, I grant you there is a link to an article in the HSE section of the links but I didn't know about it before so I wouldn't have searched for it.

8. Jackfrost New Member

uk
    I do get your point, but as an ignorant person looking to correct that situation a list of some of the less obvious dangers would be useful

9. MattH

MattH Member

The issue I see with that is that we live in a very litigious society. Therefore any such list would have to be very comprehensive to stop people assigning blame to the authors.

Easier not to have one at all.

We have the HSE for this.

Advertisements