DIY ignition system

1. winchman

winchman Member

As you may well know Winchboy bought a mystery engine which with some great help from the people on here has now been identified as a 1934 Royal Enfield, he has now found a partially complete bike to start his build, but as the wheels are missing and are shockingly expensive he needs to tighten his belt in other areas.
    So he now needs an ignition system, so how can we make one on the cheap?
    This chap sells some nice stuff
    http://minimagneto.co.uk/Products.php
    But if we made a total loss battery operated system using a bike coil we only need some sort of switching arrangement to fire the coil so we should be able to do it on the cheap?
    I am sure we have an electronics man on the forum?
    The challenge is on, can we build it for nowt or very cheap?
    IMG_20190505_075431_resized_20190505_080258773.jpg

2. winchman

winchman Member

3. Morrisman

Morrisman Member

Just a simple magneto on its own will fire the spark. Maybe find one on eBay?

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  4. johnik

johnik Member

mag from a lawn mower ?

slim_boy_fat and CompoSimmonite like this.
  5. winchman

winchman Member

The correct mag is over £300!
    Its should have a Mag Dynamo on it the only one we have seen is £300 and its not working.
    He just wants it together and running and is going to show it as is in its original patina. Like many vehicles you can easily spend more than its worth

6. Morrisman

Morrisman Member

7. Wallace

Wallace Member

Honda 50 or similar setup would do.

stuvy likes this.
  8. winchman

winchman Member

It needs a way to trigger the spark and its very difficult to mount the coil, Plan was use a Hall effect flanged sensor mounted next to the inner sprocket or inside the chain case, use this to trigger the ignition module, but the Ebay modules either don't say or are 12vAC, as it will have no electrical generation it will be a battery.
    The Minimag system with out the coil is under £60 so not the end of the world but the Ebay stuff looks to be under £15 if it would work?

9. winchman

winchman Member

How? As it has no magneto or points, the mag should be a separate one driven by the small cog via a chain.

10. Morrisman

Morrisman Member

I thought the magneto generated its own power, and triggered it itself? Not too an fait with such electricery thought.

11. winchman

winchman Member

It should be the mag that fits is too expensive and pit bike honda 50 etc mags wont fit

12. Wallace

Wallace Member

Adapt the Honda setup to fit on the existing crank taper and crankcase. You could also use a Lumenition system with the chopper plate mounted on the crank and power the coil from a battery.

8ob likes this.
  13. 8ob

8ob Member

If going with points you need to consider dwell ( coil saturation) and an advance/retard mechanism. The magneto was tailor made to suit an engine so if going that route you would need to source one off an engine with the same/similar stroke.

Bob

slim_boy_fat and Wallace like this.
  14. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

Set of points, cap, coil, battery.
    Make a cam for the crank with the points on a movable fixing to adj timing, used to run the old Villiers on external coil & battery.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  15. Tinbasherdan

Tinbasherdan Metal mangler

As others have said, an impulse mag would be the only real way to go without having some sort of charging system too

Morrisman likes this.
  16. CompoSimmonite Member

What about a mock mag ? Chain drive to box which houses a modified, cut down, car distributor with points & condensor plus a small motorbike coil ?

17. Anguz Member

bedfordshire
    Module from a fiesta I think? 36 tooth wheel with I missing would give 4 stroke 4 cyl wasted spark, so 72 with 2 gaps would work. would need little battery and a coilpack

18. Farside

Farside Badly Welded Man

Suzuki GS early 80s electronic pickup plate (use only one trigger), use a GM HEI module to fire the coil.
    Both parts cheap as chips on ebay.

Morrisman likes this.
  19. 8ob

8ob Member

Chain drive an Austin seven dynamo, that had the distributor on the end. That will give you leccy for charging , a spark and would look a bit period.

Bob

20. Morrisman

Morrisman Member

I was just thinking of that. I have brand new HEI module in my shed I was looking at yesterday while trying to find something else. A simple HES, and a coil, and there you go. :thumbup:

Ignition advance, hmm, maybe mechanical?

Advertisements