DIY Gasification wood boiler

1. Fintray

Fintray Forum Supporter

Some pictures of my gasifying wood burning boiler build (still in progress) that may be of interest.

5mm steel plate for the build

Boiler tube end plates

Faithful Startrite drill and Starrett 73mm holesaw

Schedule XXS 6" to 4" concentric reducer for gasification nozzle

Schedule 40 90 degree long bends

Holes cut in front panel for cleaning and loading doors

Bending steel round nozzle to create air passage for secondary air

Holes drilled in nozzle for secondary air 4 x 10mm

Steel ring welded round nozzle

First test fit of boiler tubes to end plates

• DSC_0325.jpg
    • DSC_0326.jpg
    • DSC_0327.jpg
    • DSC_0335.jpg
    • DSC_0338.jpg
    • DSC_0334.jpg
    • DSC_0333.jpg
    • DSC_0339.jpg
    • DSC_0340.jpg
    • DSC_0350.jpg
    • DSC_0341.jpg
    • DSC_0349.jpg
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  2. Fintray

Fintray Forum Supporter

Bit more info on boiler!
    Initial plans for boiler were bought from Horobey in Ukraine but the actual boiler is a bit of a modification in that the boiler does not wrap around the firebox but is separate to prevent corrosion of the firebox. The boiler pipes should make cleaning of them a reasonably quick job by using a circular wire brush on a flexible wire handle.
    If all goes to plan the boiler should be connected to a 1500L accumulator to store all the heat from a single burn. Wood size for the boiler is 500mm which will reduce the amount of cutting required. Hoping to burn a lot of scrap pallets/packing cases.

3. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

Very interesting, would love to build my own, but I have sworn not to take on any more projects until I've worked through the ones I already have:rolleyes::laughing:

4. garethp Forum Supporter

sw scotland
    Looks interesting! I've had a quick look for info on the horobey and cant seem to find anything?

I've just found the thread on the Navitron forum :D

5. Fintray

Fintray Forum Supporter

Shox Dr I'm the same as my list of projects I'd like to make keeps growing but this one has become a priority as the price of heating oil is always getting higher!

Garethp I'll get the link to the boiler and post it as the guy that has designed it is called Alexey Horobey. Yeah initially put it on Navitron but thought it might be of interest; dodgy welds and all....

Try this link http://www.myhouse.name/a.html

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  6. MrFluffy Member

I heat my house with a commercial version of that, a 60kw HS Tarm OT60.
    We burn a full burn and sink the heat into the 500 or so litre water around the boiler, then pump the hot water via mixing circuits into the underfloor heating after downmixing the water temp (boiler water about 95-100c and rads need 75 and ufh 27). Ive got a cool photo of the fire going full hammer taken from the top door, orange molten innards visible but no smoke (as its all being sucked down to the chimney) if I can find it...
    On that system sometimes its a bit of a sod to get going in gassification mode when the draft is low (not so cold outside so the draw is weaker etc), and the tarm has a plate you can flip inside to connect the chimney to the top of the firebox instead of the lower connection, and its much easier to get started like that in marginal conditions. Once the chimney is heated and its all at operating temp you can flip the plate back over, and it works in full gassification mode for the rest of the session. Wondering if you have a way incorporated in your design to do this too?

7. Fintray

Fintray Forum Supporter

The design from Horobey incorporates a flap that connects the flue to the top of the firebox for loading then flip it closed to allow the gasification mode to run. My modified design will have a small flap at the front between the top boiler pipe cleaning chamber and the firebox that will be opened during cleaning. The plan is to also use a suction fan with the provision for a forced draught fan if required. I'll try to get a sketch posted which might explain better!

8. MrFluffy Member

This may help you with some ideas and thoughts so posting it hoping it might.
    The tarm unit looks like this, the two doors are equivalent to your top and bottom doors, with loading into the top, and the smaller door to the left is a cleanout door connected to the chimney. In gassification mode the heat comes from the bottom, and in normal theres a flap the length of the fire behind this door you can flip. I woudlnt want anything too fancy, as get some wet wood or something that creasotes and you want something that you can bang the crap off to free it up. Wood burning isnt a clean mess free exercise all the time and fans etc tend to expire... The flap on the lower door is a automatic regulator that controls the draft according to the water temperature, so its automatic on wood, which is cool... The growth sticking out on the left is a auxillary oil burner unit, so we can run on oil should the desire take us, in fact you can set the control pack up to automatically changeover between the two fuel sources/buy wood augers or gas burners to fit etc. I still dont have it plumbed to the tank mind 3 years later :D
    Behind that unit is occupied by a hot water cylinder with a sealed coil off to the taps for domestic hot water too. Its all steel welded construction underneath the metalwork, which is thin painted sheet with a layer of insulation between it and the burner proper, so you can touch the surface without getting burned unless you touch a grate door. The cats love it...
    [​IMG]

Running full chat, you can see the smoke being sucked down. The wood is wet and not aged enough burning in this shot so you can see the creosote forming I mentioned above. Horrible stuff. Note the top flappy bit letting you throw bigger logs in as it hinges out the way, but it also stops you getting a face full of smoke when you are loading fuel in as it swings back to cap the top half off. Proceedure is shut the lower damper, open the top door and you can do it smoke free that way. If you forget and leave the bottom damper open, the sudden change in draft means all the gassifying smoke comes out the door into your face. If you run top chimney the creasoting isn't anywhere near as bad. It only gets this bad in gassification mode.
    [​IMG]

Lower grate detail and ash pan area. It'll fill that space with two days of flat out running in the coldest period, but it can keep a 240m2 house at 20deg when its -10 outside :)
    [​IMG]

Dare I say it, you can buy one here s/h for 3-400 euro working complete, they DO weigh a lot to move, I estimate 600kgs drained. I had to extract this one from someones cellar in a ex monastrey built into the side of a mountain in the pyrannees and into a old renault master van on a pallet truck.

Its really important to have two safety blow off valves for the pressurised water if yours works the same way as it runs at 0.5bar to raise the boiling temp so you dont get a load of loss through steam. We have a 0.5 bar one at the head, and a 1bar on the tank itself, and when we had a runaway fire early on, I saw the temp on the water gauge get to 120deg c and it start kettling out of both of them into the drains. We've got a thermocycling load on it now that can keep pace with the heat output with all the dampers shut to stop it happening again...

9. Fintray

Fintray Forum Supporter

MrFluffy Thanks for the reply showing your boiler and I will incorporate some form of safety relief valve into mine in the hope it will get hot enough!
    That's handy having the facility of the oil burner built in, I plan to leave my existing oil boiler connected to the heating system but hope to use it rarely.
    The control for the air supply is going to be a PID controller from a company in Poland (whose name escapes me) that measures the flue gas and water temps and regulates the fan speed to maintain a steady flue gas temp so excess heat is not lost.

10. BONEY Member

United Kingdom
    FINTRAY im new to the site and just wondering how the boiler project pan out ,i to have horoby,s plans.

11. Fintray

Fintray Forum Supporter

Boney
    Things have been a bit slow on the project recently but the boiler tubes have been welded and pressure tested to 1.5bar and welded to the end plates. The "box" that will form the water jacket surrounding the boiler tubes has been partially completed.
    I will post up further pictures as I progress......

Do you intend to follow Horobey's plans exactly?

12. BONEY Member

United Kingdom
    No,i have made some mods,i did see some problems with the upper/lower chambers being surrounded by the water jacket,i didn't want something i had to keep chasing leaky weld all time,hopefully one side of the boiler will be my heat exchanger sending flue gases through it,i notice you have changed the nozzle design,have you tested that yet?

13. Fintray

Fintray Forum Supporter

The nozzle design is changed from the straight slot in the plans to what you see in my pics. The nozzle is not complete in the last picture as it now has a circular plate between the outer edge and the nozzle. The air comes into this chamber From the side tangentially and enters the nozzle through 4 holes drilled through it. Hopefully this will allow the secondary air to mix fully with the hot gases to ignite them to give that "rocket engine" type flame typical of down draught gassifiers.

14. BONEY Member

United Kingdom
    Ya i hope it works out for ya,keep me posted on your progress ,it good to talk with someone on the same subject, by the way lads great site/forum,glad i came across it.

15. sardine

sardine Member

pallets

I saw a guy in the U.S made a boiler that had a fire box sized to fit a whole pallet, just slide it in.

The KW you would get from one pallet i have no idea.

16. BONEY Member

United Kingdom
    fintray,have you got info on the controller you brought,ie how much,where from,was it from horobey,s site.

17. Fintray

Fintray Forum Supporter

Boney, I've not purchased the controller yet but my plan was to buy a Tech ST-81 ZPID which came in about £100 or so, this controls the air flow in the boiler by measuring the flue gas temperature in conjunction with the water temp.

18. BONEY Member

United Kingdom
    thanks fintray will google it.

19. BONEY Member

United Kingdom
    fintray,hows things going on with the wood boiler.

20. Fintray

Fintray Forum Supporter

Boney boiler is still no further on as had to clear out new section of garage so I could get the floor concreted. Since that I have been framing out the walls so it could be insulated and lined as I need to get the lathe I bought from my work in before the snow arrives. Lathe has been sitting in my neighbours yard for about a year so it would be good to have it inside and clean it up and check it over.
    As soon as I get a bit further with the boiler I'll post up some pics of the work.

Advertisements