DIY air drying system

1. burrows1980

burrows1980 Member

Hi,

In my last garage I did a similar setup after following the guide on here, today Ive installed one in my new garage ready for spraying my car. Heres some pics:

[​IMG]

Ive got two Norgren filter/Regulators, one on each side of the garage, handy saves have a hose trailing everywhere, I aquired two a few years back so might as well use them..

[​IMG]

Im not going to use the flexi pipe, using that from the compressor to the start of the pipework..

[​IMG]

A gauge to show pressure in pipework, meant to put one in on the other side, probably a slight drop in pressure this side due to the extra pipe run..

[​IMG]

Pipe work goes out into outhouse where the compressors going to be stored, epoxy'd the floor on Friday and second coat yesterday so cant go in there for a week now!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I kinda wish when I built it beginning of this year, I'd made it bigger but only compressor, lathe, lawn mower, bikes ......... going in there :doh:

Got plenty of drops in the setup, 9 in all:

[​IMG]

Bonnets in the way, but you get the idea.

[​IMG]

Its sloped from one side of the garage to the other, to aid in moisture removal, hopefully!

For the drain points im going to use radiator drain valves, im trying not to use compression joints at all so with the rad drain valves I can sweat them on as well, the only compression joints used are entry to the regulators. I also used 45 degree elbows for the drops to save bending the pipe and weakening it, although I bent it in other places so pointless really :laughing: Table X pipework is rated to 58 bar (for water) 0.7mm wall thickness so 10 bar compressed air should be safe.

Once Ive sweated all the joints and compressors in the shed, I'll post some more pics up and of it working to!

Gaz

2. Rig Pig

Rig Pig Member

Compression fittings are only rated to 7 bar for air service, solder joints may be a better bet.

3. burrows1980

burrows1980 Member

Yeah, avoiding them for that reason. Soldering it all tomorrow night after work.

4. barny Member

Surrey
    Like it! You put some thought into that.

5. awemawson Forum Supporter

At my last place I needed dry air for a cnc machine tool. I rigged a 15 mm pipe to run co-axially inside a 22 mm pipe using 15 22 22 tees. Usually the air just ran though the 15 mm pipe, but when I wanted to run the machine I had cold water running to waste through the 22 mm - it only needed a trickle. The arrangement was screwed to the wall like yours at 45 degrees with a drain at the bottom

Maker, kier and captain-destructo like this.
  6. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

I built a spud gun out of compression fittings and when I took it apart I could see the pipe had expanded around the olives:o and that only ever got to a maximum of 100 psi (6.8 bar).

Malvern likes this.
  7. burrows1980

burrows1980 Member

Spud gun, love it!! That's my next project sorted!

I think what I'm going to do is put another regulator straight after the compressor so I can reduce the pressure down to around 7 bar entering the copper system.

At least it will be safer, don't need it at 10bar tbh, if I could be bothered I'd adjust it in the on/off pressure switch..

Gaz

8. vw1

vw1 Member

Good work , what paint with you be using when spraying your car ?

9. burrows1980

burrows1980 Member

Cheers! I spraying either Jotamastic 87 WG or rust busters epoxy mastic 121 on the underside & engine bay. I already have a some RB 121 but been hearing good things about jotun stuff, and saw the post the chap who sprayed his BMW with it.. Plus it's cheaper!

The shell, underside and engine bay I'm going to use cellulose, not got the setup for 2k plus neighbours would complain!

10. Daz1968 Member

Uk
    I have found that the smell from cellulose carries much further than when I use 2k paint, although fortunately my garage is at bottom of garden so don't annoy the neighbours. The paint I have used with most powerful smell was some 1k acrylic clearcoat, could smell that in garage for a couple of days.

11. burrows1980

burrows1980 Member

I've got a few glade plugins and a outside socket!! :-)

I'm rigging up a non combustible fan filter system when the time comes, although it won't help the smell remove the chance of overspray, hopefully..

12. brightspark

brightspark Member

are u sure :whistle:there compression fittings and reduce the pipe when they tighten up otherwise they would just blow off if they didnt . the ones on my comp have run to 150psi no problem for years. they may be rated to only 7 bar but there covering there own a rses and actual burst test pressure will be double that

13. Maker

Maker nEw mEmBeR

It definitely was. The pipe had expanded either side of the olive so much that it had to be thrown away, It wouldn't fit into other joints. Measure a piece of your pipe, I bet it's bigger than 15 mm.

14. brightspark

brightspark Member

well the copper pipe can expand but the compression fittings didnt burst or split then

15. brightspark

brightspark Member

heres mine there still intact after 40 years , the cutout switch packed in and it ran at 150 psi for hours on the blow off valve before burning out the motor and overheating the pump as the green paint turned dark no damage to the pipe just a new switch motor and an oil refill on pump

• 002.JPG
    • 002.JPG
  16. vw1

vw1 Member

I use epoxy 121 , but would like a go at jotun , I asked as I wondered how you got on with paint smells etc . Let me know how you get on with jotun ?

17. It's the same paint, just the label that differs I'm told.

18. burrows1980

burrows1980 Member

Yep will do, I'll post some pictures up in a few weeks time.

When I get round to the top coat, its going to be done in stages as the whole car is stripped, celly haze above the house for a week :whistle:

I thought as much, read somewhere that there the same, Jotun stuff bit harder to measure as 7:1 rather than the 1:1 of epoxy 121, Ive downloaded a data sheet for Jotun 87, tells you the exact measurements of each part needed for overall quantity needed, handy! Just need a really decent set of scales, dont think the mr will be happy when the kitchen scales go missing :laughing:

19. Jotun HB is four to one. I just use measuring cups.

20. optima21 Forum Supporter

I've recently been using jotun 87, the winter version is mixed 1:4 so I use measuring cups too and the standard version is 1:6. I paint the underneath of my car by brush though rather than paint, as there are several parts that spraying wont get to. With the jotun 87 wintergrade, you do get at least 2 hours pot life if painting by brush

[​IMG]

for spraying under cars I ended up getting a silverline gravity fed spraygun and drilling out the fluid tip to 2.5mm and using airline fittings so it could be used at any angle.....it worked, but I decided that the paintbrush was a better option.

DSC02954.JPG

burrows1980 likes this.
Advertisements