Daper 16057 100A settings for mild steel 2mm wall box section

1. Marcin New Member

Hello,

I'm new to welding, trying to find answer of what best settings would be for welding square box from 25mm/25mm 2mm wall thick square sections using Daper 16057 100A gas mig welder.

What gas flow I'm looking for welding this L/min ?

Appreciate any advice and information.

Thank you.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  2. Bone of Arc

Bone of Arc Forum Supporter

Hi, I am not familiar with your machine but presume it only has a two power settings and possibly a higher level/boost/min max switch. On 25mm box with a wall thickness of 2mm I would do a test weld on setting 1 on boosted/Max. If that blows through on your weld then knock the boost off and try again, if the weld isn't strong then increase the power. You need to do test welds ideally before making the final welds on your work piece, this applies to any machine you a not familiar with.

As for gas, in a perfect draft free environment then you can use minimum gas that your weld will allow. Again, set your gas on your test welds start off by listening to the gas flow from your torch. You may only need a gentle hiss of gas if welding in a garage/workshop. This method will also confirm your gas is on and flowing to your torch and therefore flowing as you start welding. However, without knowing what type of gas bottle you are using doesn't help. If you are welding outside then you need to increase the gas a lot depending on wind conditions.

When you start welding the weld pool will spatter and sound crackly if the gas is too low. When you look at the weld afterwards and you see small holes in it instead of a smooth complete bead. A pock holed weld is generally called porosity and it is caused by low gas shield, contaminated metal (rusty, unclean surface, painted or galvanized ) or on new metal if the mill scale is not removed first to reveal a nice shiny metal.

Wire speed - Again test weld your wire speed. You will soon learn to turn it up or down because the weld pool will either stop forming as the wire runs out and then catches up again or the wire will be coming out too fast and you will not be able to control it.

If you upload some photos we can help you because we can see how you are doing. Good luck!

Marcin likes this.
  3. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

also cut the metal up that you need and keep it back for the project your making and the left overs you can make a joints that you will be weldiing on the project and do a few tests to see what settings are best

Marcin likes this.
  4. Marcin New Member

Thank you for help and tips, will test first and see how it goes.
    :)

5. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

dont forget clean metal on your return and where your welding

Advertisements