Daft question

1. srx600 Member

Ive finally bought a welder (Clarke 160T) and gas bottle etc, and now have a few questions.
    I have been doing a welding course which has industrial welders which are either automatic and only require the thickness of steel to be specified or have a fully variable voltage and speed control.
    The Clarke being somewhat cheaper is a little cruder, and I'm not sure how to set it up. It has six voltage settings and a speed control. My initial thoughts were that I would choose some scrap that has the same thickeness as my project (2 mm), then starting in the middle of the settings adjust the voltage untill I have a decent arc which is getting plenty of heat into the steel, then fine tune the wire speed to get a nice clean consistent crackle.
    Once this is done move onto the project piece.
    Does this seem like a reasonable approach ? or should I be seeting wire speed than modifying voltage to suit ?

2. malcolm

malcolm Hej!

That sounds like a good approach - get the current right first then mess with the wire speed to suit. Generally the higher the current the higher the wire speed. Practicing on a bit of scrap is a good idea too. I tend to do this before attempting a weld that matters.

Your welder sounds like a similar one to mine, so maybe my setings would be a good starting point: http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/calculator.htm

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  3. nellway Member

London
    Clarke welder

I have a similar machine which I use once every month or two.

Before doing the job I always do a few practice welds on a piece of scrap to make sure it's set up correctly. It's worth spending the time as cutting out and rewelding a botched job is a real pain.

Advertisements