Cutting stock

1. LandRoverTom New Member

Morning all.
    I've been browsing here for a while and have just collected an R-Tech MIG180 thanks to the Red Victor auctions last week (stand by for plenty of what am I doing wrong posts when I finally find the time) so thought I'd start simple!
    What does everyone use for cutting stock?

I'd like to invest in a chop saw but can't really afford that at the minute so my options currently are ye olde faithly hand-raulic 12" hacksaw or the 4 1/2 inch angle grinder. Both do the job fine for now. But looking for anything more eficiant to get a more accurate cut.
    (yes slightly lazy and I know that applying patience, a hack saw or small angle grinder can make a neat job)

My brother has a 98" band saw for his wood working that I'm temped to get a band for to do small pieces.
    What would people recomend if I did this? TPI and suppliers?

2. Lazurus

Lazurus Member

Wood bandsaws run far to fast for ferrous metals, I use a 8 x 4 hack saw and if set up correctly is super accurate, quiet, no sparks and easy to maintain. Sounds like you have similar - Cheap plasma cutter?

slim_boy_fat and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  3. LandRoverTom New Member

That's good to know about wood band saws, I hadn't really considered that thanks. That saves me finding out the hard way!
    I think I might not have been too clear, by hand-raulic I meant a standard hand hacksaw, not a powered one.

A cheap plasma cutter would be very nice but I think would end up much more expensive than a chop saw (although possibly more versitile) but I'd also have to pick up a compressor etc as well to run a plasma cutter.

4. Ashley Burton

Ashley Burton Member

Been using a Evolution for some time now

skotl and slim_boy_fat like this.
  5. Lazurus

Lazurus Member

I am lucky enough to have a chop saw (abrasive type) horizontal bandsaw (£200) off Fleabay and a plasma cutter - it is the horizontal bandsaw that does 95% of the work, the chop saw is noisy messy and not very accurate, the Plasma is great for odd or awkward cuts or templates but for general stock go for a 2nd hand bandsaw will pay for itself very quickly.

zx9 likes this.
  6. Kram

Kram Member

7. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

I could be tempted by one of these, but finding space in an already-crowded cave would be a problem. :(Unless I could squeeze it on top of the t/drier in the 'annexe' for storage until needed......

[​IMG]

Can anyone measure the footprint needed to accommodate one horizontal and hanging, please?

8. LandRoverTom New Member

Now I'm very tempted by that! Seems I'm falling into the trap that I've read so much about on here...
    Reviews all seem positive and I can't think there's anything I'd need to be mega precice with. It's only going to be for occasional use for doing little projects and things like repairs/modifications to my land rover so it sounds like it will do that nicely.

A slight upgrade to the clamp sounds like a must but that doesn't seem like a massive job

9. zx9

zx9 Member

One of these?
    https://www.chronos.ltd.uk/product/cbs45md-clarke-6-x-4-metal-cutting-bandsaw/
    I'll measure my Sealey clone this afternoon.

10. Stingray Member

A58292E4-B205-4507-942E-3AB5169DAD82.png

11. SierraV6 Member

I use a (good quality!) hacksaw, angle grinder (only occasionally) or Evolution Rage 3 (not very accurate and the slugs hurt!) but if I was cutting stock on a regular basis I’d probably get a bandsaw. Could you get away with a portable one?

12. zx9

zx9 Member

Excuse the quick sketch

Bandsawsketch.JPG

The legs and wheels are the worst part so mounting on top of your freezer might be a good idea though how you are going to open the freezer I don't know. :)

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  13. slim_boy_fat

Thanks but no, it's one of the Aldi 'portable' ones I'm considering.

14. LandRoverTom New Member

Well I've just taken the plunge and ordered the band saw from Aldi. (that didn't take long to fall into that trap did it...)
    Can anyone recomend some guidence on cutting speed and TPI for replacement blades when the time comes?
    Clearly it deptends on the material and thickness but is there a rule of thumb to go by?

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  15. zx9

zx9 Member

:doh: I guess the portable one would be a little lighter and give better access to the freezer's contents.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  16. fnlvder Forum Supporter

Horizontal - 520x300x400mm high

Vertical - 150x270x520

Stand - 480x300x180

Saw case - 560x400x200

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  17. Kram

Kram Member

The aldi one approx 500x280mm and 400mm high.

[​IMG]
    I had no idea where to put it, forced me to tidy up lathe bench and move 3 bags worth of offcuts/scraps and rubbish to the garage.

Original blade good for steel, bit too fine for aluminium. Not sure what tpi but I ordered 18tpi replacements from ffx. Pack of 3 was 18 quid, link in other thread..

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  18. slim_boy_fat

Thanks, lads :thumbup:

19. Craig-SM

Craig-SM Member

I bought the Evolution Rage 4 as B grade stock from their eBay store. As B grade it had marks from use on the blade but apart from that looked like new. It’s quick to use, clean and accurate cuts but flings debris quite far
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/113900691870

I also entered the Red Victor auctions and won plasma cutter which gives very fast and accurate cutting and next to no mess. Prior to that I was using an angle grinder for cutting sheet metal but it was very fast if you wanted accuracy. I then moved to an old B&D metal shear and that was much neater cut and faster too.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
Advertisements