Cusi3 for diesel tank?

1. redhouse53 Member

North Wales
    Is Cusi3 suitable for replacing the bottom of a tractor diesel tank? I havent welded with it before so this is a learning curve, also I'll be using my new Kemppi Minarcmig 200

thanks

2. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

It's brazing wire. Does the minarcmig 200 have a built in program for it ?

3. redhouse53 Member

North Wales
    yes, it does but haven't tried it yet

4. pedrobedro

Should be okay to try it then, practise on something else of a similar thickness first to get a feel for it. I haven't used it but it's supposed to fill gaps well and be quicker than steel wire.

5. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

Mig brazing is a nice process on good clean material, done loads of it on galv sheet in the past, but on an old oil tank may not be so easy, I usually use MMA on those kind of jobs its much more tolerant of any contamination.

6. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

Don’t you own one of these yourself?

7. pedrobedro

Mine's an older 180, not as sophisticated as the 200evo but it does most jobs nicely, stainless etc.

8. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

Ah yes I know the one.
    Got the two knobs on the front panel.

9. redhouse53 Member

North Wales
    The tank's already been cleaned plus I'll probably be replacing the entire bottom with fresh steel. I was thinking the braze would flow and seal better with less chance of leaks than MMA?

10. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

With a mig braze it’s done in dip transfer only. It doesn’t wet as well as a weld. Where it comes into it’s own is reduced heat input, reduced distortion, dissimilar material joints, galv joints with reduced fume, very thin metals long runs with reduced risk of burn through. All this is possible because your producing a brazed joint so your not diluting the parent material. It will provide a sealed joint but due to the colder transfer used it doesn’t blend smoothly on the toes like a weld so a little skill technique required

HughF likes this.
  11. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

Wire is expensive, pure argon too

12. redhouse53 Member

North Wales
    so there are more benefits to using it in this instance than I first thought, thanks for the info

I've got a cylinder of Argon, hadn't realised how expensive the wire was though!

Richard. likes this.
  13. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

It’s got lots of benefits. It’s great for automotive repairs and panels. How thick is the material you wish to join.

14. redhouse53 Member

North Wales
    It'll either be 1 or 1.2 mm mild steel. Haven't checked yet, but I want to experiment with the technique as I can see it being usefull for letting in non structural panels on the classic cars I normaly work on.

15. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

It’s right at home on those thicknesses. If you can afford a spool there is no reason why not to have a go. If not just do it with normal Mig wire.
    Bit on the thin side for mma really.

16. redhouse53 Member

North Wales
    found a roll on ebay for £27 which is the cheapest I could find. I'll give it a go and report back.

17. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

Careful. If it’s not a known brand it could be full of all sorts of junk. £27 seems awfully cheap to me.

18. redhouse53 Member

North Wales
    It's probably just expensive copper wire :laughing:

19. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

Esab autrod 1930 is good gear. Reallly good gear but you pay a premium for a premium product

20. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

A bit thin for MMA then, I imagined something quite a bit thicker, in that case I'd just mig it, but if you don't mind spending the money and want the experience of mig brazing then go for it .

Advertisements