Correction

1. mattlaro Member

Quebec
    ''Weld penetration

The underside of the sheet of metal shows the real difference between the two welds. The first weld has almost no penetration, while the second weld has penetrated right through the steel sheet.

Penetration is very important to weld strength. If a weld does not penetrate all the way through a joint, then the joint will only be half welded.''

...I'm not sure if you have gotten any education on welding...if so you havn't been taught well.....the underside on the first weld shows how a good weld is suposed to look like.... on the other side....the second shows a lame overheated weld, or a slow proccessed weld wich overheated the plate causing those terrifying destroyed plates...sorry if I'm offending anyone....but I have A passion for welding and I can't let the newbies be misinformed, if the sheets are side to side u have to see a penetration underneath...but if your welding a T postion or on a plate....the underside of the plate should perfectly clean, or almost. If you see all that crap beneath your plate....it's that you completely destroyed your plate, imagine
    seeing a Huge welded sign near the road with that kind of crap behind it....it wont look so great ;)

2. malcolm

malcolm & Clementine the Cat

Welcome to the forum mattlaro.

The pictures on http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/learning-mig.htm were intended to be a practice for seam welding rather than for welding something onto a plate. I feel it's best for welding newbie to practice laying weld before trying to attach bits of metal together.

Having said that, the photo shows more penetration than you'd want for a seam weld too. In my mind it should cover the sharp edges of the steel to reduce stress but not go too much further. I seem to have taken it to the point when the weld is about to drop out of the plate. Maybe I should take some new photos.

I haven't had a formal welding education. That's why I need people like yourself. :D

I'm keen not to mislead. The idea of the site is to provide some basic pointers to people starting out in hobby welding. If you find things I've done wrong let me know.

If you want to pass your knowledge onto others, have any photos of better welds than I can manage, of if you would be prepared to write an article about some aspect of welding I'd be keen to publish it on the site.

3. mattlaro Member

Quebec
    wow nice reaction...your one hell of a good guy, I'll try to leave as many new topics as possible!

4. malcolm

It's good to have criticism. Imagine what sort of rubbish I would be able to get away with if everyone came here saying "what a lovely site".

It'll be fun to have you around.

5. malcolm

I've been thinking about this.

You now have a chance to set the record straight. I've added a wiki (a visitor editable information section) to the site. That means you (and anyone else) will be able to edit the stuff that I (and anyone else) write(s).

Better still, if you feel the need to pass on information you can. In fact it'd be a good thing as the information is very thin at the moment.

*wiki removed - too much spam from pharmacy retailers* :D

Advertisements