COOT Amphibious ATV restoration

1. dieselsamurai

dieselsamurai Too many projects not enough time!

New here thought id start sharing some of the projects im currently working on and this should be starting soon so as inspiration I thought i would start a thread for it. For those and im sure there are many you would not have heard of a COOT before. Made in the USA in the 60's i only know of one other in the uk and thats my friends one and i want to beat him getting it up and running too.

Its 4x4 pivots in the middle to give articulation and is geared to climb up anything you point it at. Currently has a Kholer crappy 10hp i think petrol engine. ideally i was to put a diesel in it and possibly go hydraulic to ditch gearbox and variable speed drive then i can put engine somewhere better (ie in the back)

Its going to need a lot of the body replaced and i plan to make it 4 wheel steer as the lock is worse than a 109 landrover !!

anyway heres what it looks like now

IMG-20170318-WA0001.jpg IMG-20170318-WA0006.jpg

2. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

ohhhh, vely interesting....more photos please...now and future........
    any chance of a photo around the original engine and g/box please........
    sounds like a nightmare regarding the Hyd drive, what about a Chinese 250cc and vari drive from a scooter....?...ooops only 2 wheel drive sorry.......

Wallace likes this.
  3. dieselsamurai

Ill take some photos of drive etc tonight if i can , i think i have a couple of pumps somewhere so having a pedal that combines forward and reverse maybe appeals

its going to be a long term project but i hope to split the hulls in the next week or two so my argocat can live in the car port for a while

a little 10hp diesel should be good even with the old drive train

4. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Yes very interesting!
    If you are going that far what about the drive from a 4x4 dumper or a moffett forklift?

5. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

Can you use skid steer on a 4 wheel vehicle?

We had a nice toy to play with when providing rescue/medical cover on a hill rally in the 90's

Argo.jpg

CKJDJK likes this.
  6. Kent

Kent Member

Argocats skid steers, will also cross water. Can see why there are only two of them in the UK
    Good lluc with it though and making all the parts

7. Baloo Member

Birmingham
    very nice project you have there
    if your taking requests for pictures would like to see how the swivel between the 2 halves works

8. CompoSimmonite Member

You are going to replace so much of the original (body, engine, gearbox, axles etc as well as relocating engine and converting to hydaulic drive and 4 wheel steer) why not use this simply as a basis to work out a better design and build that from scratch ? The original could then be sold to somebody who will restore.

Wallace likes this.
  9. dieselsamurai

Robostar5 - im not going to use it as skid steer just to replace the drive train , coot 2 had motors in each weel . The supacat you picture above if its a mk2 steered on the front two axles before going into skid sterr mode. As for 4 wheel skid steer Bobcats and the like are all skid steer and although take getting used too are very manourerable.

Kent - I have an 8x8 argo cat but this was something different and fairly rare so for $300 and a good price oin shipping i couldnt refuse. Argocats are pretty slow in the water tbh and the coot had and optional prop that made it alot faster (still slow) . its just something i thought would be fun at offroad events , military shows and hacking about at my friends farm

Baloo - Its pi$$ing down outside at the mo but will try to get a few, its quite an unusual way of doing it but simple and lots of coots still about in the states it seams to last

10. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk

Argocats aren't so bad if you stick an outboard on them!

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  11. dieselsamurai

Composimmoni - not going to touch axles they are worm drive to give better ground clearance , I have not decided if i will go hydraulic route im just thinking about depends what engine I get . $ - wheel steer was fitted as standard from 70's onwards or can be bought as a kit but more fun to try to make. Body looks bad but worst bit is in rear floor that definately needs replacing.

Its just a cool old thing that needs a bit of cuddling to get it back too usable condition . Fully restored they go for over 12k but mine will never be like that i want to use it and give it some more dents !

MattF likes this.
  12. dieselsamurai

Fizzy - just saw your post above , the main reason these things were good offroad was the worm drive perminant 4 wheel drive with jeep wheels they dont get hung up in ruts as no diff sticking down. Its also the same width as an argo so will fit in the back of my chevy pickup (when i put it back together!)
    Ground clearance is not so great on argocat but they are great fun

13. dieselsamurai

ok for those who asked braved the elements and took some photos , not great im afraid but shows theres definately some work needed

20180214_205403.jpg

this is most of the driveline prop for rear axle goes through the hole in the center which is the pivot point too
    engine and gearbox is under the seat so keeps your bum and feet warm !

20180214_205450.jpg

front axle worm drive so very close to bottom of the hull

20180214_205414.jpg

close up of pivot , basically an externally threaded ring and each hull has an internal thread to it . Sounds like a crap idea but never heard of one failing or wearing out

you can see the serial number is 287 they made nearly 10,000 so worth saving its almost certainly from 1963/64

20180214_205554.jpg

this is not good but if they keep water out they keep it in too...

20180214_205615.jpg

you can see here ground clearance is great

14. ned

ned Member

kerry, Ireland
    thats a superb toy, congrats. Seriously fun if you complete it.

15. Kayos

Kayos Member

Good project, looks fun

16. dieselsamurai

gonna try to get hulls apart in the next week or so once they are sandblasted and repaired im half way there. Theres really not much too them , ill get it running as standard then mod it as otherwise it will drag on

17. dieselsamurai

definitely needs 4 wheel steering as it just wants to go in a straight line , will need to divise some way of disconnecting drive to one wheel as on solid ground its horrendous to maneuver

one of the reasons some people convert them hydraulic to each wheel but i dont want to go that route

18. CompoSimmonite Member

jpmillermatic and Robotstar5 like this.
  19. dieselsamurai

ok finally gonna start the restoration on this thing and may need help/advice as after 50years its got a few 'issues' to say the least. Hopefully start the strip down this weekend just need to clear a bit more room in the workshop plus looks like i may have another to do as my friend has sold his one and wants me to restore it for the buyer at the same time.
    First thing i need to do once the hulls are stripped out is to separate them and get them to the sand blaster is it worth me cutting out the rot first or just let it end up on there floor?
    The biggest problem i have is one of the gears in the back axle is screwed and i need to get one made any ideas picture below

gear.jpg

20. dieselsamurai

This is sorta what im aiming for with a front roll cage too

Dallas COOT 1.jpg

Advertisements