Cooling unit and torch for lorch t220

1. Cheesie Member

Out of interest how much are you roughly looking at for a lorch cooling unit for a t220, would like this unless there's some firm that can make an off the shelf unit, also would like an aftermarket torch, would like a wp20 maybe abhor binzel or ck I've always preferred these type of torches vs in house type, is there anyone on the site that can make any of this up?

2. hotponyshoes Member

The lorch cooler is nearly £1k at retail price I think.
    It does have a NET interface though that will connect to your t220 and that will turn the cooler on and off as required.
    I believe they will also shut down/alarm if there is a problem with the flow but I think this function may only work with a lorch torch.

Pretty sure they use 21 series fittings so easy enough to connect any aftermarket torch if you wanted.
    Other advantages are it will sit nicely under the welder and br a good cosmetic match

If you don't mind losing the NET interface then parweld etc. make them for about half the price although you might need to make some brackets or have a welding trolley with a lower shelf for it.
    You will have to remember to turn it on and it will run constantly although it's easy enough to fit one switch to turn both on together or with a bit more effort you may even be able to wire it up to the NET interface.

You can also buy the parts and make up a cooler yourself or see if richard on here has, or will make you one and you will end up with better quality components.

I put a water-cooler binzel in the for sale section somewhere but I think that's a 18 not a 20.

Richard. and 123hotchef like this.
  3. hotponyshoes Member

Also, before choosing an aftermarket torch have a think about the button(s) on your existing one.
    If you only use a foot control then it won't matter but if you are using torch controls you might want to check the wiring diagram first to see how simple it will be to replace them with aftermarket ones.

Cheesie likes this.
  4. Munkul

Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    Most welding shops can do this sort of thing for you :) A basic switched Binzel WP20, a tuchel 5 pin plug, and a suitable flow of water are the only things you actually need. Everything else is nice-to-have.

Nice-to-have is the remote-on cooler (no having to remember to turn on two switches not one) and of course, more buttons on the torch.

You can use the flow switch found on most coolers, to feed two pins in the Lorch tuchel plug to give you water flow protection, though - ie. the welder turns on but without flow switch contacts made, you get an error and no weld current. Really simple, tbf.

I have the the Lorch branded ATW 3000 which is a basic WP20 sized torch, high amperage capacity with 4 buttons, running perfectly on a second hand unconnected water cooler :)

Cheesie and Brad93 like this.
  5. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

I like the Lorch coolers because they come on and off with the fan. Workshop is lovely and quiet until you’re actually welding.

Munkul and Cheesie like this.
  6. Munkul

Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    I wish I could justify the lorch cooler! But my one is fairly quiet, especially since I packed the inner surfaces with sound-deadening, and it cost £100 so I can't complain.

On-demand cooling is proper luxurious.

Brad93 likes this.
  7. hotponyshoes Member

If the noise is that much of an issue you could mount the cooler further away and extend the hoses.

Add a contactor and a relay and you could make it turn on and off for under 50 quid I expect

123hotchef and Richard. like this.
  8. Munkul

Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    You want the pump turning for a bit after arc-off to take away remaining heat in the torch head, though. So you'd have to have a simple timer programmer type thing as well.

Cheesie likes this.
  9. Cheesie Member

Not as simple as it sounds making your own then don't know if I can be arsed faffing around making my own

10. hotponyshoes Member

Depends how the welder works I suppose.
    Mine, the fans run for a while after welding so you could use that as a trigger.
    You might be able to find a set of switching contacts on the cooler socket on that welder if you can find the info for it depending how tightly lorch have tried to integrate the own brand cooler.

Might be better running all the time as it gives it more time to cool the water between welds.
    I have one that runs all the time and I dont notice the noise to be honest. I have done enough welding to need it but never enough to get the water any more than mildly warm though so it's just wasting electricity really.

11. hotponyshoes Member

Simplest way would just be to mount a single isolator on the welding trolley and connect both the welder and cooler to it although along with remembering to turn the gas on, change the tungstan, switch over to ac from the dc job you did last, untangle the foot pedal lead....
    Switching the cooler on is not the end of the world

12. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Spoilt I guess :dontknow:

• C7174287-C8C6-4F16-B19E-3A5336A0BC25.jpeg
    Richard., Munkul and Cheesie like this.
  13. Munkul

Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    Since when did you buy a V series?! I'm very jealous.

14. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

My work got one from @Richard. & Elmdale on Christmas Eve.

I assembled it on New Year’s Eve.

Cheesie and Munkul like this.
  15. Munkul

Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    Again, it's as complicated as you want to make it.

Essentially it's a pump, reservoir and a radiator, it can stay always on.

I also couldn't be bothered, that's why I got a used one :) also had a beefy undercarriage which I made use of.
    I never did get around to wiring my flow switch into the torch plug, because the flow switch is broken in my cooler :/ so it's a completely "dumb" system.

[​IMG]

16. Munkul

Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    as if you haven't told us all about it yet :D

in one question: What's it like?

17. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

Smooth. Very smooth. Mainly done DC on it.

AC it’s got a lot more settings so I need to do some testing to get it dialled in.

I was getting quite a dirty puddle for some reason but that could be down to works crappy regulator. Sucking air in is the most likely cause of the contamination.

I need to play with the different waves too.

I had a play with an old USA made dynasty 200 the other day. They were such good machines. Very forceful, tight arc even at normal AC Frequency of 80-100Hz.

Munkul, Cheesie and Richard. like this.
  18. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

After market torch will connect to pins 1 and 2 and you will link together pins 4 and 5.

Water cooling is definitely the way to go especially on a 220 amp ac dc set. Gas cooled is just.......... well awful in comparison imo.
    Your options are as mentioned above.
    Go the real deal plug and play matching cooler and front up the cost associated with the luxury.

Go after Market and have something running continuously that serves a perfectly good purpose but wouldn’t be quite as neat as a modular solution.

build your own. Make it as simple or complicated as you like, make it modular, spray it RAL Blutorange to match your set. Could be a nice first project for the T220 to build its own cooler.

19. Cheesie Member

I've a few jobs lined up for it, a few to Finnish first then I'm onto my aluminium project, I'm just planning ahead as I know I'm gonna need a cooling unit, lorch cooler would be nice

20. Cheesie Member

Has anyone got a diagram on a diy one with what parts I need, I've looked at all sorts on the site including one in a plastic lunch box

Advertisements