Cooker cable extension

1. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

As per the title I need to extend safely a cooker wire

The cable drops down from a hole in the wall and at the moment the bloke gas a larger chock block joining some newer cable to the existing cooker that he done him self a few years ago

Now hes having a newer cooker Put in and asked me to wire the new one in

I poped over last night to see what is what and confound the chock block joint and said I'm not doing that unless it's done safe so I dont mind doing it but is needs a proper joint

Yes a bee cable would be great but the old is plastered in to the wall

I'm thinking trunking down the wall to a new cooker connection box in a deep pattress box make a joint then to the cooker (if this is done does it need to be tested part p or as existing it's just a joint it's fine )or just a 30amp or 40 or 60 amp joint box ?

Or do they do a inline cable connector like a sausage joint

2. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

Just chop a deep pattresse into the wall and put a cooker switch in there if it'll fit behind the cooker. Then run a new cable to the cooker. It would obviously be better if the switch was easily accessible but it will be ok. Or you can join the cable using an unswitched cooker connection unit and run new cable to a new cooker switch above the worktop.
    I've hidden mine in a cupboard next to the cooker, probably not to the letter of the regs hiding it but it's my house not the IET's.....
    Testing, I'd say if its just replacing the choc blocks for a proper switch / connection unit you'll not need one.

eLuSiVeMiTe likes this.
  3. mike os

mike os just a little insane.....

Pic would help

Appliance needs local isolation so must have a switch reasonably accessible with the appliance in position.

4. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

the main switch is on the right of the cooker the cable goes from the cooker main switch to the left out the hole and down

5. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

1575479097171716031914075255523.jpg

6. brightspark

brightspark Member

if the cooker control unit is adjacent to the cooker to the right hand side and there is a cable from it to down behind the cooker and its heavy enough 6.omm cable all that is required is a cooker outlet connection plate with a 35mm metal box sunk in to wall . then connect a tail from that to the cooker 6.0mm flat twin and earth https://www.screwfix.com/p/crabtree...VVuDtCh3YTQNCEAQYAyABEgIxQPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

mike os and Robotstar5 like this.
  7. brightspark

brightspark Member

hmm just noticed that outlet is higher than the top of the rings. it must be below. put a new piece of cable from the cooker control down to the new outlet conector below the worktop height

mike os and mtt.tr like this.
  8. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    id chase stright down from the switch to just below worktop height then run the cable behind cupboard, chase it in from the oven opening into an oven outlet

this reduces chasing and means only a short chase to fill that is seen

brightspark likes this.
  9. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

ive spoken to the my mate he dont want chasing out the plaster the quickest easy job

so a sausage joint or as my first thought was trunk to cable exit and down to 60amp terminal box toolstation do the 60 amp bit over the top do the join and to cooker ?

10. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    Be wary about loose cable. Bigger cable doesn't take a lot to pull from terminals if badly connected.

eLuSiVeMiTe, Hopefuldave and dobbslc like this.
  11. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

yea will tighten down well

12. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

Then wiggle and tighten down well again!

13. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    Then get really annoyed when discover the oven terminals are stupidly small

Hopefuldave and dobbslc like this.
  14. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

I think I had that problem with the 10mm T&E on my oven, the first switch I bought had terminals that were too tight and chewed up.

15. steve_s Member

Joints are not good on high load stuff but like you say its your house
    burnt.jpeg

eLuSiVeMiTe, Hopefuldave and mtt.tr like this.
  16. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    I just use the wago type now 45a.
    Screw terminals are so last year

steviec_lj and mike os like this.
  17. mike os

mike os just a little insane.....

And wont come loose

18. Hog-Rider Member

Just reading above and I have a question.. Next week we are having a new Electric Cooker Delivered. Now we do have a switch box on the wall and a Electric connection box down low behind the existing cooker,I was thinking of replacing the Tail with about 3 or 4 foot of new … What amp cable should I buy ??

19. brightspark

brightspark Member

6.0mm flat twin and earth for standard size cookers up to 15 kw

mtt.tr likes this.
  20. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

[​IMG]

got one like this with 38mm trunking the kitchen work surface is knackard around the sink an leaks so this will be a temp fix untill the kitchen is removed and changed not much point in chasing in cables and back boxes if its going to be riped out in x months time to rejig for a new kitchen and the trunking will go up the wall over top the cable exit that will protect the cable from damage and any heat
    not as good as a new chasing in but as its been like this for x years trunking and a proper joint will be a good safe upgrade for not meny pounds

Advertisements