Converting snap on mig 2135 to euro torch

1. Bamo New Member

I have a snap on mig 2135. I leant it out and the torch came back broken. A mate suggested i convert it to euro torch so i ordered a kit...... i only had a single feed to the gun? Can anyone advise on whats needed please? The gas hose is now bigger and new torch as 2 wires instead of one?
    Regards, paul

• 20200910_162109.jpg
    • 20200910_073537.jpg
  2. a111r Member

Easy fix.
    Connect one torch wire (doesn't matter which) to the original connection.
    Connect the other torch wire to the +ve terminal on the rectifier, where the thick torch voltage cable connects.

3. Bamo New Member

Thank you, have you any ofea how i work out which solenoid i need? And how i fit that?
    Regards, paul

4. a111r Member

I've not retro-fitted a solenoid gas valve, only repaired them.
    I'd start by finding a circuit diagram for the machine.
    The valves come in a few flavours. I'd look for a 24 V dc version to wire in series with the wire feed motor.

And that's probably a very nice machine, once sorted. Made by Cebora and re-badged.

Bamo and hotponyshoes like this.
  5. a111r Member

Edit...wire in parallel.

6. mechman Member

aIIIr. Would that conversion work on a Sealy 180 (mighty/super)not sure which as machine is elsewhere at the mo? I fitted a 4m torch to my Migatronic so the 3m one is collecting dust, and I was thinking of converting the Sealy. :dontknow:
    Norm.

7. Nick DV

Nick DV "You must unlearn what you have learned."

If you do a search someone on the forum has done a write up on a Sealey Euro torch conversion :thumbup:

8. a111r Member

Yep it should do. Although most over 150 amps have a Euro fitted as standard?

9. mechman Member

Thanks guys, will have to dig it out and make sure it's still working before I proceed with the dark arts.

10. Bamo New Member

Any idea what the rectifier looks like? I cam put more pics up of needed and once i know can test it for +ve. Thank you

11. a111r Member

12. Bamo New Member

• 20200912_113732.jpg
  13. Bamo New Member

Other possibly to this replacing the thick black cable frlm old torch?

14. a111r Member

In a word, yes.

15. a111r Member

If you've got a new torch, you might as well fit it?

16. Bamo New Member

Doest the brass plug need the cable from the rectifier connecting to it? Is it am earth?

17. eddie49 Member

The Euro socket is a circular brass block. It should have a heavy cable bolted to it that goes to the positive output of the rectifier. This block has to be isolated from the front panel and the chassis of the welder.
    The "earth" clamp and cable - more accurately called the work return lead - goes to the negative output of the rectifier via the inductor ( also known as a choke, it looks like a transformer with a single thick winding ).
    The chassis/casing of the welder is not connected to either of these outputs. It should be connected to the mains cable green/yellow earth conductor.
    Note that for gasless ( flux-core ) operation, the outputs are reversed, with the MIG torch being negative.

Advertisements