Compressor help needed.

1. Big Craigy New Member

Hi everyone.
    I’ve recently acquired an old compressor. I got it for nothing in an house clearance for something to have a crack at repairing thinking it probably wouldn’t work as it looked a bit rough, rusty and as though it may of leaked it oil out. Anyway put a plug on it and it worked straightaway but now I need to check the oil level and potentially top it up or change it before I run it for any length of time. Only I’m not sure how to do this as there’s no sight glass or dipstick or even an obvious fill point. I’ve put a few pictures of it in. My thoughts are that there is a bolt in the side of the crankcase and this both fill point and max level but I’m not 100% on this, if anyone can point me in the right direction on this it’d be a massive help.
    Thanks

• 26146F2F-0D7D-411A-B2B4-071722FF57DD.jpeg
    • 77F948AA-F0A8-4465-9B91-4EEE3A0F4376.jpeg
    • FCAAC85B-2265-4F17-A288-4F177D6970D8.jpeg
  2. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Forum Supporter

essex england
    Thst looks like oil filler to me

3. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

Small bolt on the side of crankcase looks like the oil level plug..the big pipe looks to be the filler and pressure vent for crankcase

rikrobson likes this.
  4. Big Craigy New Member

I looked this first but When I’ve removed the vent the hole is much smaller than the fitting would suggest maybe only 1-1.5mm so I thought this might overflow quickly when putting oil in.

5. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

think the idea might be to leave the big vent on and fill from the small hole on side...that wont take much more than what it holds anyway by the looks as its only a small pump. how much is in it now?

6. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

The bolt on the front of the crank case, looks like it has a copper washer seal. If you can get oil in through that easier then it would be fine to use it as filler and level. The big tube with the pipe coming out of the bottom and a hole in the top has it got any wire wool or mesh inside it ?

7. Big Craigy New Member

No idea how much is in it at the minute There is no sight glass or dipstick and I didn’t want to undo that bolt on the side and dip something in until I was a bit more sure that’s what it’s for.
    I’m guessing the little hex bolt in the bottom right is the drain plug though!!

8. Big Craigy New Member

Yes that does have a mesh in it.

9. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Safe to assume it's just a breather then, the drain looks like an Allen bolt underneath the breather on the bit sticking out and the other bolt is a combined filler and level plug. Get an old 2 stroke or gear oil bottle with a filler tube to fit through the filler bolt hole, it will probably only take 0.5 litre. Squeeze it in till it starts to come back out then cram the bolt in quick.

Advertisements