compound gib strip issue

1. james butler

james butler Member

hi everyone,
    i have movement in my compound slide due to the gib strip not clamped down squarely against its mating dovetail.
    im not entirely sure why this happens but it appears to be a very common fault on these lathes (machinemarts cl300m aka cheap chinese lathe)
    i know the lathe isnt the best but i do like it and use it a lot for very small components and would like to try and fix the problem and reduce the movement or minimise the movement so it doesnt cause issues.
    ive attached a google pic of typically what happens when you try to tighten the gib screws
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?biw...3p8M:&imgrc=-CAy-34CU4zmVM:&spf=1570895039168

2. Pete.

Pete. Member

The only way to fix that properly is to make a new gib strip that fits in the gap and into the angles properly. It's just a pisspoor design altogether, and usually badly machined too.

3. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Member

essex england
    Parallel gibs should be fairly thin and well fitting to start with.
    I reckon some decent spot faces where the grubs press might stop the gib being coerced at a funny angle.
    Also check the screws have a cone taper on the end where they meet the gib

james butler likes this.
  4. Brad93

Brad93 M J B Engineering

That’s *NO SWEARING ON THIS FORUM*.

Make some new gibs.

You could have it scraped.

james butler likes this.
  5. james butler

james butler Member

ive cone tapered the screws now which helped, i think what pressbrake1 says is very true about the gib needing to be thinner as this would reduce the tendancy for it to tip up the way it does so maybe a thinner gib strip may be a way to go.
    appreciate the input peeps i know its not a very good machine but i must percerviere for now.

cheers

james

6. zx9

zx9 Member

Definitely worth putting a bit of effort into sorting it out James.
    I know how disheartening it can be trying to get an older abused lathe to behave, sometimes my Drummond can be a right pig. Other days it saves the day like the Saturday I made a replacement water flange for the BMW's cylinder head two days before we were due to go on holiday. That was three months ago, I really ought to order the correct part.

james butler and slim_boy_fat like this.
  7. pressbrake1

pressbrake1 Member

essex england
    Thinner gib but to allow that a bronze strip glued to dovetail to close gap

james butler and slim_boy_fat like this.
Advertisements