Combination miter table saws

1. Robbie260 Member

https://www.alanwadkinstoolstore.co...f0zLv5BBj38KouccSOIUtjS1H99uqc2xoCpkEQAvD_BwE

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Femi-1050-3d-Wood-Blade-diameter/dp/B00SRWOY0U

Hey guys has anyone ever used one of these things. Would like a miter saw and a table saw but dont have room for both. Was thinking one of these might be the solution to my space problem. Over a jobsite table saw the femi loses 30mm on the tables cutting depth and 20mm on the makita. The makita the table saw mode it dose have the ablity to angle the blade where the femi is stuck at 90° by the looks of it. From a miter saw point of view the femi is the best being compound etc and being fully featured from what i can tell.

Are these just a gimick or are they actually of use. I was thinking the table could be expanded on the femi by making something for it to sit level with if i need a bigger surface.

Suggestions for Better alternatives. Unfortunately only have space to store one so saying buy both isnt an option.

2. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Have a look f an old dewalt flip. Much better made than the makita.

What sort of use is the tablesaw going to get. A tracksaw and compound mitre saw may be a better option.

Worth getting a compound saw that angles both directions. One direction only can be limiting as you need t turn the stock around on occasion,

indy4x and Robbie260 like this.
  3. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

Ive got a Bosch Blue Mitre Saw....its excellent.....only 8" blade but a long slide...the ciuts are spot on...perfect mitres......Ive also got an old table saw that will cut through whatever Ive thrown at it.......loads of scaffold boards recently.....never a problem....no idea of make etc....I got it from an auction

I think the new Bosch was about £350 and the old table saw was about £30...........

Robbie260 likes this.
  4. Robbie260 Member

Have to admit im not a serious wood worker though im thinking i might start looking a doing some property refurb work in my time off so mainly construction type work. Starting with helping out my parents with some jobs that need doing around the house and finally get on to owning a property in need of some work.

Was thinking about getting the track adaptor to go with my makita circular saw. Also saw you can get ones for makita routers too. If i get one of these miter saws probably cant justify a plunge saw as well.

5. eLuSiVeMiTe

Been in that game for a long time. 9x out of ten if you want to rip the odd bit of timber down a skill saw and fence is the weapon of choice. Tracksaw or straight edge and skilly for ripping down 8x4 boards.

Only time my table saw really sees use is custom timber sizes on rare occasions and cutting stepped firings.

Robbie260 likes this.
  6. Robbie260 Member

Think will have a look into getting this track adaptor for the curcular saw and just a basic compound miter saw. Any better after market fences that are better than the basic standard makita ones. If i remember right its just a flimsy peice of black plastic with mine.

7. eLuSiVeMiTe

Bit of flat bar to the correct dims with a bend to weld a little shoe too.
    Pop a few holes in the shoe and screw some hardwood into it.

Scratch that. Needs a u then a bend to clear the base plate and allow cuts close to the blade

Any old makita/dewalt/hitachi fence will probably fit

Robbie260 likes this.
  8. Robbie260 Member

Right so have had a look into the old dewalt/elu flip saws. Would love one as they look bomb proof and as though they could survive a direct hit from a nuclear blast as well as a life time of abuse. My only problem with them is my only storage space currently is my parent's loft and i think it a bit big and heavy to be trying to lug up and down a vertical ladder through a loft hatch.

Was wandering round the net looking for alternatives and i came across the festool cms system which among other things allows a plunge saw to bolt up under a table to be used as a table saw. The weight and storage size seem good but the price could kill a man where he stood so that is out too unless i win the lottery. Is there any other companys that produce a similar version of this thats cheaper.

I think i may still be looking at something like the femi. With the track adaptor for my makita circular saw and a home made decent rip fence. Still after some table saw functionality as doing small bits with a circular saw just too fiddly.

The search continues.

9. Agrismith Member

What about looking at the DeWalt site table saw and a non sliding mitre saw if you have to get it in a loft those two would be considerably easier than either of the above sliding mitre saws are a nuisance to move at the best of times let alone on a ladder through a loft hatch

10. Robbie260 Member

Unfortunately dont have room for both and im kind of downgrading my expectations a bit i think im going with a fixhead miter saw for ease of transport with a top table saw the femi above is just an example. I will make up ounce i find the one i want to get varying height spacers form the miter table this will allow me to get some extra width on the odd ocassion i need it from the miter saw of course you sacrifice depth with this but i cant think of many items in house refurb that are are over 180mm wide and 20mm deep. If its still not enough i can always start the cut with the miter saw and remove the table saw fence to finish it off provided its not more than 50mm deep. Or if bigger turn it round in the miter saw and finish the cut. Or that might be the point where i start looking to a track saw to finish the cut. Unfortunatley a big space to keep all the toys i want is a wee way off just yet.

11. eLuSiVeMiTe

Speed square as a fence for a skill saw is great for cross cuts when it's not worth getting the mitre saw out.
    In fact I've cut many a roof with nothing more than a skill saw and roofing square to guide it.
    Use a 600x500mm roofing square with a set like this to hold it true and run the saw down it. Great for cutting chipboard flooring to length.
    These on a roofing square make it a very useful tool.
    Little bit of maths and can set to any angle you want with great repeatability.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Barnwell-G...ocphy=1006506&hvtargid=pla-670080477519&psc=1

Robbie260 likes this.
  12. bigegg

bigegg I drink and I know things. Its what I do.

i remember you mentioning these before, so i made a set from a couple of m6 connector bolts - cut a slit with angle grinder / bandsaw and a m6 thumbscrew to clamp on.
    only used them a couple of times - turns out my roofing square wasnt :rolleyes: - but very useful.
    not £9 for a couple of brass nuts useful though.

13. eLuSiVeMiTe

Lol. Paid 4 quid for mine and there rounded and knurled brass.

You can adjust a roofing square with a punch and hammer to stretch the metal. First job whenever I buy a new one. Doesn't take a lot to tweak them.

bigegg likes this.
Advertisements