Collage and Jobs

1. Jacktegla

Jacktegla Member

I am currently trying to decide what I want to study in collage. I think (still not sure) I have narrowed it down to Maintenance Engineer or Agricultural Engineer, both similar but different in many ways, just wondering peoples opinion on which one I should be choosing?

Maintenance engineer:
    It's a two year course that really should then be backed up by an apprenticeship with a business. I know the wage for this job would probably be more, however, most I've seen you have to do shifts and I'm not sure how keen I am to do shifts. From what I can gather most people who do this work in a factory environment servicing machines. Anyone got any more info on this job?

Agricultural engineer:
    It's the same a two year course, that I could then get a job after. I would either be in a workshop or working from a van. I've spoke to some people about this job and they've said if I wanted to it's quite easy to transfer the skills into repairing things like forklifts, loadalls that sort of stuff. Any more info on this type of job?

I live in north Wales if this makes a difference. I'd like a job that's versatile and if I ever wanted to have my own business. I could, who knows.

But I do know it all starts with a collage course. Many thanks jack

2. Seadog

Seadog Forum Supporter

English? :scared:

3. stuvy

stuvy Member

Maintenance engineer will be inside agriculture engineer will be outside

what do you want out of life long term?

agriculture can move to plant which pays better

Jacktegla likes this.
  4. Jacktegla

Jacktegla Member

I really would like the option if the future, to be able to work for myself, but at the moment in time id like able to do something I enjoy and still have room for growth.

5. fadcode Member

Spelling might come in handy

6. daleyd

daleyd Member

Maintenance engineer can be very varied - depending if you only have interest in mechanical or decide to do electrical as well - it could open doors to air con, compressors, plc programming, refrigeration, you could get into fabrication, machine tools, mechanical services etc etc. If you get a start somewhere and show a keen interest you can make of it what you want really. Wrexham industrial estate is just down the road (I assume by your username you are in llandegla?), Deeside is not too far away either.

I don’t know much about agricultural engineers but I suspect the work may be a bit more mechanical biased and mainly outdoors. :dontknow:

winchman, Parm and stuvy like this.
  7. Jacktegla

Jacktegla Member

Yes, in llandegla. Howd you know ? Are your from around the area? Thanks for all the information. That's very helpful.

Parm, stuvy and daleyd like this.
  8. daleyd

daleyd Member

Yes I live in Caergwrle :thumbup:

Parm, stuvy and Jacktegla like this.
  9. wyn

wyn Member

I did Ag Eng at college....still sort of doing it.
    I moved into quarry maintenance on fixed plant...that was an easy enough move just straight forward mechanical and welding/fabrication.
    I'm now doing agricultural type repairs self employed but mostly on welding and try to avoid tractor stuff.

I think with the ag eng it's easier to go it alone if you want to.

By the time you've finished the course the "EU thing" will have kicked in and who knows how that will affect things.

slim_boy_fat and Jacktegla like this.
  10. daleyd

daleyd Member

If I hear of anything around (In terms of apprenticeships etc) I’ll let you know - I do a fair bit of work at a couple of pharma companies on the Wrexham industrial estate, they are good places to get into.

Parm, slim_boy_fat, stuvy and 2 others like this.
  11. James1979 Member

Worked with a few guys who have moved into offshore / shipping type roles from both. Agri Engineers seem to end up more on ships / drilling installations and maintenance guys gravitate towards Oil and Gas. What do you want in the future? If you are looking to move abroad or travel then agri may be the way to go? Every country has farming

Jacktegla and stuvy like this.
  12. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

Not to offend anyone on here, but farmers can be very demanding when they need something done/repaired and want to pay peanuts for your services after the event.

13. Robbie260 Member

Or he could just jump the gun and go straight to going to sea as a marine engineer, there is not a lot of stuff we cant do/move to if we want. Travel and sometimes see the world at someone elses expense. Not that im going too try my own agri engineering buisness in my time off or anything :whistle:.

The handy thing about these service/techinician/maintenance engineer roles is they all blend too gether so if you can do one you can do the others. An engine is an engine whether is powering a quad bike or a ship, the scale of the operation is all that changes, and the size of the equipment.

Advice would be from my side is do what ever you have the most intrest in right now you can always change to another sector if you want to at a later date. Though i would suggest if you do go for agri engineering do an mechanical engineers electrical multiskilling course after as it make the transition to other sectors easier if you ever wished to, as this will teach you more about industrial electrics which you need to know a lot about in the likes of maintenance and marine engineering.

Marine engineering was my choice but there is a couple of advantages too it, its not as focused on one particular subject so you have a broad knowledge of all areas of mechanical engineering, it also covers electrics and electronics in quite some depth which is essential in the modern world. It can act as a stepping stone to purely electrical roles such as power generation or national grid/energy company work. It can go the other way to towards maintenance of smaller machinery, like agri engineering, breaking systems is the only real thing you would have too be brought up to speed on and mainly for safetys sake than not being able too do the job. You can easily move on to oil and gas plus there is the huge variety of roles just within the shipping industry its self. Its bloody hard work but its good fun most days.

Jacktegla and James1979 like this.
  14. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

I'd say if you want to stay around where you're living now that agricultural work might be easier to find than maintenance.

Jacktegla, stuvy and winchman like this.
  15. winchman

winchman Member

When I was 17 I was an apprentice Vehicle Mechanic, the company asked for two people to volunteer to do Factory Maintenance, everyone thought I was mad, within a few years I was cleaner and earning a lot more than them.
    Whilst many agricultural engineers are highly skilled the Maintenance engineers often get better pay.
    You need an apprentice ship.
    I would start by contacting these places
    https://www.tteltd.co.uk
    https://www.waterside-training.co.uk
    Not on your doorstep but you will have to travel, I know people who travelled more than an hour just for the opportunity, they will train you and find a company for you, how far is Deeside from you?
    Dont take a Production apprentice role, stick to pure engineering, multi skilled if possible. What ever you do you need to know bit about other stuff instrumentation, inverters, fab and weld etc.
    In the mean time try and find some work relative to engineering and learn as much as you can.
    When winchboy got his apprenticeship, he was the only one who had gone out and bought a product they manufacture and stripped it to bits so he could talk about it at the interview.

Brad93 and stuvy like this.
  16. Jacktegla

Jacktegla Member

To be honest by the sounds of it most engineering seems to cross paths somewhere. I hadn't thought
    I had applied for about 15 apprenticeships in places like Airbus, kellogs. before Covid, however once that hit they all stopped the intake of apprentices. But I still looking thanks for the links.

winchman likes this.
  17. winchman

winchman Member

You need to stand out so I would contact the above and all the places you have already tried. Would you travel to Liverpool?
    Quite a lot of industry near the air port, a friend travels from Llandudno to the airport everyday so its do able

stuvy and Jacktegla like this.
  18. winchman

winchman Member

What I mean is keep in touch so they remember you. If you have transport go door knocking ideally research a company so you know what they do beforehand. If you can find a HR contact write to them, spell check it at least twice! :laughing:
    Get a Linked in Profile and state on it you are looking for an apprenticeship. Clean up any social media accounts you have as they often look at them. Have a good email address not Fartlighter@gmail etc
    If you are not working get a local job any job as its shows a good work ethic, look at free training
    Some good stuff here
    https://www.spiraxsarco.com/learn-about-steam

Jacktegla likes this.
  19. Robbie260 Member

Your not wrong research the companies, I impressed my interviewer by know that my shipping company owned a chain of supermarkets and sn airline at one point in time. They like too see you are enthusiastic. Also if you were ever in the boys brigade like me or the scouts or the cadets or similar organisations dont be afraid of them by thinking they are uncool. I basically spent half my interview talking about the boys brigade as my interviewer had been in it too. Companies like people that do things.

Jacktegla and winchman like this.
  20. Jacktegla

Jacktegla Member

Yes got all my scouts and that down on my CV and do talk about it.

Robbie260 likes this.
Advertisements