Cleaning sand stone

1. Keithedw Member

Hi all
    After some info on best media to clean some internal sand stone and oak beams ...whats the best and where to get......not many places do crushed glass anymore or the ones I've phoned up ....

Tia
    Keith

2. Migmac

Migmac Member

Don’t know about media or cleaning sandstone inside a building but my friend did the outside bits of his house with a milking parlour cleaner( think it was called milk stone). Brush it on, leave it a minute or two and wash off. Did a really good job of his sandstone

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  3. grim_d

grim_d Forum Supporter

Do not use any type of abrasive of harsh methods to clean sandstone.

Inside may be different but the hard crust that most people remove on sandstone is what is protecting the stone, exposing the soft stone inside.

The mason that did ours used a cleaner of some kind (might be milk stone as above?) And then a low pressure wash taking a lot of care.

I would call your local mason supply outfit, someone like www.masonsmortar.co.uk and ask their advice regarding cleaning.

mike os and slim_boy_fat like this.
  4. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    Crushed Walnut shells are very gentle and popular.
    The best method would be dry ice blasting but you need special equipment for that.

5. The_Yellow_Ardvark

The_Yellow_Ardvark If in doubt ask. Same rules for everyone

Inside use a bit of original stone and rub over if the marks are not to bad.

Milk stone or a week detergent and a nylon brush to scrub clean.

Oak beams, depends on the finish and how much you want to go back to.

A decent wax and grime remover or meths and a cloth.

Then a good waxing onto the timber.

6. Keithedw Member

Cheers for the info ill look into milk stone

7. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    It's milk stone remover and it's a phosphoric acid solution, available from an agricultural supplies place

8. Turbo Member

Be very careful with it as it's highly corrosive & quite dangerous! :o

Can I ask what are you trying to clean off the stone? My BIL was cleaning up a sandstone archway inside a building that was covered with paint. He got a lot of it off with paint stripper then used a rotary brass wire brush on a grinder to remove the rest (don't use steel brushes, steel bits embed in the stone & will rust!)
    He also cleaned off some oak beams using the same methods, including some fire damage.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  9. Keithedw Member

Cleaning paint off ....it's an old school

10. brightspark

brightspark Member

paint stripper for the most and finish of with sandblasting it comes up nice without damage :)

11. KemppiFrog Member

Around here, sand blasting is common to clean up old stone (and I mean sand..) But a local builder told me to not to use it, as it removed the old protective layer. He uses a pick to chip off the plaster based finish (not practical with cement based) to get the 'exposed stone' finish which is now so popular. It was considered low class a while back, so they plastered smooth finishes over it. That now looks a bit 'ordinary'.. I have the whole front of the house to do. About 60% cut stone to clean up, the rest plastered over, to pick out and re joint. Lottsa fun...

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  12. daleyd

daleyd Member

Watching this with interest - we have a small patch of stonework in our extension that used to be the outside wall, which we left exposed and now needs some cleaning up as it’s part of the “inside” wall of the kitchen. I was thinking either some kind of chemical cleaner to brighten it up a bit or a wire wheel (or similar) but am a bit unsure of the best method.:dontknow:

13. KemppiFrog Member

If you are watching my efforts.. then get a very comfortable chair and a big crate of beer. It might take some time..

daleyd likes this.
  14. daleyd

daleyd Member

:laughing: Don’t worry it’s taken me a couple of years to even ask about it (even then promoted by this post) let alone DO anything :thumbup::laughing:

Advertisements