Clarke MIG 102NG Earthing

1. Ben Grocott New Member

Im reaching out to see if someone can offer some advice on my MIG welder because I’m new to this and I’m having some challenges. I’m trying to spot weld some steel washers together to make a bowl, I’ve placed the washer in a painted cast iron bowl, the earth clamp is attached to the bowl, but while the flux wire comes out it’s not arching? The bowl is on my metal welding table. Does that mean I will need to scrape some of the paint off? Image attached. Any chance of some help?

• C2C1FF28-FED0-46FE-A366-081888DC6E87.jpeg
  2. arther dailey

arther dailey Member

the paint is acting as an insulator so the earth isnt getting contact.

rtbcomp, Ben Grocott and brightspark like this.
  3. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

The work return needs to be in contact with the job to make a circuit
    If the bowl has paint or a coating on it that’s not gonna happen. You’ll need to remove all that coating to stand a chance.

Ben Grocott and brightspark like this.
  4. brightspark

brightspark Member

preferable to put a clamp on the 1st washer clipping the return to it then off you go .the rest will be touching when you weld them together

rtbcomp, Hitch and Ben Grocott like this.
  5. Ben Grocott New Member

Thanks very much for you help guys. I’m new to this so really appreciate your advice.

6. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

Once you get the earth problem sorted out , If I was doing it I would lay them over the bottom side of the wok, therefore having the welds not showing, unless that's the look you are wanting.

brightspark likes this.
  7. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

Drop a piece of bright bar or anything conductive on the washers and clamp to that.

8. Kickmuck

Kickmuck Member

You can buy a cheap mild steel wok fro a Chinese supermarket for about a fiver for a template if you plan on making a few of these. Save you grinding the mrs teflon one.

Advertisements