Clarke Bandsaw Resto

1. R-D-R Forum Supporter

Having seen other peoples threads and with a couple of projects coming up requiring larger cuts than my Femi can cater for I pulled this out of my todo list pile. I won it at a local auction for £40, its a newish model with CE markings but has had a hard life. It's had a couple of falls with the stand being twisted and split.

It's landed on its motor at some stage, the fan cowl was all dented so I have bashed that back to allow me to fire her up. She works but needs a good fettling.

Plan is..
    Strip it down clean and assess parts
    replace or fix what's needed
    Scrap the stand and make a new base
    Paint it
    Add a flood coolant system
    Add a Damper of some sort
    Add some kind of support extensions possibly with rollers
    Get it calibrated in as best it can be

IMG_4306.jpg

IMG_4307.jpg

IMG_4309.jpg

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  2. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    I have the bigger model and it's brilliant.
    Well worth doing. Bargain for £40!

R-D-R and Hopefuldave like this.
  3. slimjim Member

UK Cumbria
    The stands are rubbish, I need to do mine when I get around to it, you missed off your list a small table for vertical use,

I plan to use mine with coolant, but I have a boxford coolant pump that I fitted to a plastic storage box, that I can use on my lathe or milling machine, and will get used on the saw,

There are YouTube videos on setting them up better.

R-D-R likes this.
  4. R-D-R Forum Supporter

For the table I’m hoping to figure a way of using the table from my smaller femi band saw it’s quite nice. I think with a suitable bracket it should work.

5. Lazurus

Lazurus Member

please let me know how you get on with the damper, I used a motorcycle steering damper on my Axminster but it is not quite powerful enough to slow the fall to a constant speed. Would like to know what to use in stead.

R-D-R likes this.
  6. Dr.Al

Dr.Al Forum Supporter

Ooh, this is going to be interesting. It looks in much better nick than mine, but I'm sure it'll be better with a bit of TLC.

What's the red thing underneath the upper bearing support block? Mine doesn't have anything like that.

R-D-R likes this.
  7. kcchan Member

Blade guard.

R-D-R likes this.
  8. Dr.Al

Dr.Al Forum Supporter

Ah, okay, thanks. Mine's got one on the other block (the black bent thing visible in the top photo), but doesn't have that one.

9. fizzy Forum Supporter

uk
    The damper on mine needs bleeding so I am using it by hand at the moment. Annoying but not a major problem!

10. R-D-R Forum Supporter

for the damper i was looking at something like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-CN...table-Steering-Damper-Stabilizer/283561878199

I like it because it has the adjust on the top.

@Dr.Al i saw your thread yours looks a similar age to mine. Seems you had the same problem as me with the motor cowl being dented and hitting the Fan. The stands are simply not fit for purpose I wonder how many of these saws have been scrapped from toppling over!

I had another look around mine, i think its all in tact. One thing i noticed is the motor has a lot of movement which doesn't seem right.

I worked out a new stand design i can make using up some 40x40 I have left. I will make the Pan under it from some 2mm sheet I have to catch the coolant. The reservoir can sit underneath I have a fish tank pump and filter I'm going to look at using to pump the coolant.

Screenshot 2019-12-29 at 18.24.42.png

zx9 and Dr.Al like this.
  11. kcchan Member

Mine doesn't have that blade guard either.

R-D-R, how are you planning on mounting your damper? In place of where the spring tensioner sits?

12. R-D-R Forum Supporter

I'm planning on copying Axminster they have a similar saw but with upgrades

700103_xl.jpg

13. kcchan Member

I'm wondering if you'll struggle to fit it in that position as the rod goes all the way through the damper. It looks like it'll clash with the drip tray you plan on fitting.

I'm planning on doing something very similar with the one I've just acquired so am interested in what you come up with.

daleyd and R-D-R like this.
  14. R-D-R Forum Supporter

Yes i think I'll get the saw built and a damper fitted before committing making the tray so i can ensure it all works together.

15. Dr.Al

Dr.Al Forum Supporter

R-D-R likes this.
  16. DAPPH

DAPPH Member

Near to Cross Hands Llanelli SouthWales GB
    I set up the rear vice clamp to right angles , then using my dremel cut a fine line either side so that if it gets moved for any reason I can quickly put it back to square,
    That done I also set 30 & 45 degree lines from the point where the rear jaw & band saw blade intersect so I can get an easy angle cut , again cut them in the bed with my Dremel & a very thin cut off disc. .

Found out pretty quickly that I needed a pair of stock support rollers for 6 mtr lengths of stock similar to these ebay # 132251001360 .

If you put it on a higher table you might need to modify them . Being fold up they take up very little space . One of the supports is a roller & at right angles to it is a set of five 20 mm roller ball capsules to take flat stuff.

Mikey D and R-D-R like this.
  17. R-D-R Forum Supporter

I’ve been pondering the stand and it’s height. I want to store it under some units so I was going to keep it low however I’m 6’5” and have built all my other surfaces to 950mm.

I might make it so the material can span level onto the surfaces to make handling longer pieces easier.

18. DAPPH

DAPPH Member

Near to Cross Hands Llanelli SouthWales GB
    You could put a floor in the box tube stand you showed earlier and lay them supports on their side then slide them in the frame under the coolant tank /drip tray & swarf filter .

19. Wallace

Wallace Member

Yours looks identical age wise to mine I bought new which differs in many areas to an older one I have collected from @pete some years back. My part built rolling stand has the rear wheels further back so they can be parked against a wall and the bow lifted to the upright position without touching the wall.

20. Dr.Al

Dr.Al Forum Supporter

Interesting idea. I'm a similar height to you (6'6") so tend to have high benches. At the moment I've stuck with a fairly low bandsaw as I have no obvious place to put it so it just gets moved around. Unlike workbenches or my lathe etc, I don't tend to stand at the bandsaw much so haven't really worried about the height. I think I'll make some material supports at some point though: it can be a pain cutting up long stock. If I ever move house to have a bigger garage (can't think of a better reason to move, can you?), I can always build some longer legs to bolt on where the castors currently go and lift the whole thing up a bit.

R-D-R likes this.
Advertisements