Clarke 6x4 Bandsaw Restoration

1. Dr.Al

Dr.Al Forum Supporter

A few weeks ago I started restoring my old bandsaw. I've posted a few things here and there on this forum, but I thought it wouldn't be a bad idea to make a thread specifically for my attempts at restoring it and improving it.

I bought the bandsaw on ebay about 8 years ago. It was already fairly old (I'm not sure how old) and showed signs of a hard life. This is a photo taken not that long after I got it:

upload_2019-12-22_17-34-17.png

The switch housing was broken into two pieces and held together with electrical insulation tape; the motor made a horrendous noise when it went round; the stand wobbled like crazy and the seal around the gearbox didn't, well, seal.

Here's a close-up of the fan cover on the motor:

upload_2019-12-22_17-35-27.png

That somewhat battered shape is a sign of what it had been through. When I got it, the cover was badly misshapen and the fan was hitting the cover as it went round. I took the cover off and beat it back into somewhere near the original shape, but haven't done much more with it since.

As for all the other problems, I've pretty much lived with them for the last 8 years but my experience in metalworking and the equipment I have available have both come on a long way since then (back then I had a mini-lathe and a bench grinder and that was about it; my first experience of metalwork was the mini-lathe).

This is a photo of the inside of the switch housing:

upload_2019-12-22_17-39-0.png

Not a pretty sight...

and this is a photo of the (now removed) stand. It looks like it has had a very hard life:

upload_2019-12-22_17-39-36.png

2. Dr.Al

Dr.Al Forum Supporter

I've taken the bandsaw to pieces now; here's what they all look like:

upload_2019-12-22_17-40-31.png

If you look closely you can see the blade guard in two pieces and the switch housing in two pieces. I'll need to do something about them sometime in the future. You can also see I've taken the motor apart; even after I'd reshaped the fan housing, it was quite noisy; so I'm going to change the bearings as part of this rebuild.

The photo above was taken before I dismantled the upright arm of the bandsaw. This incorporates a worm and wheel gearbox, which was very difficult to take apart. One shaft came out with judicious use of a hammer; the worm shaft was more difficult:

upload_2019-12-22_17-43-3.png

upload_2019-12-22_17-43-11.png

After seeking advice on another thread in this forum, I made an ER32 slide hammer:

upload_2019-12-22_17-44-39.png

After a lot of hammering and a lot of retightening the ER32 collet, the shaft finally came out:

upload_2019-12-22_17-44-59.png

upload_2019-12-22_17-45-3.png

3. Dr.Al

Dr.Al Forum Supporter

I recently inherited a couple of long (5 m maybe?) lengths of extremely rusty box section steel from my father-in-law. These are 40 × 40 × 3 mm, but had been sitting in his garden for 20–30 years so had a very thick layer of rust on them. It seemed a shame to just send them to the tip, so I decided to have a go at derusting them and make a new base for the bandsaw.

Here's a photo of one of the bars halfway through derusting (I couldn't fit the whole thing in my derusting tank): hopefully it gives an idea of quite how thick the rust was on this box section steel:

upload_2019-12-22_17-47-42.png

I derusted using the electrolysis method. I used a plastic bucket filled with water as a derusting tank. A piece of OSB wood formed a loose lid and held four bits of M10 threaded bar to act as sacrificial electrodes. They were connected together with some (ridiculously thick) copper wire and then connected to the positive terminal of a 24 V power supply. The 0 V terminal was connected to the box section via the current-measurement terminals of a multimeter. I inserted the box section and gradually added washing soda crystals (from the green bag you can see in the photo) until the current measured by the multimeter was about 4–5 A. I then left it alone for a few hours. The box section came out of the tank completely black, but a quick brush with a wire wheel on the angle grinder made it look like steel again! Here's my derusting set-up:

upload_2019-12-22_17-52-15.png

Once all the box section was free of rust (on the outside at least), I built a new base for the bandsaw (all TIG welded):

upload_2019-12-22_17-53-7.png

The angle brackets on the top are for mounting the bandsaw; the strange thin plate is to stop swarf from the area directly under the blade from falling into the area that will eventually have a couple of shelves. The eight holes (which are threaded M10) in the four bottom pieces were used with some threaded bar to make a temporary frame that helped me fit the upper and lower rectangular frames to the uprights (which aren't at right angles in either plane) - this was one of the most difficult welding jobs I've done so far (and another one was welding that thin plate at the top onto the much thicker box section).

Test fit:

upload_2019-12-22_17-54-17.png

and with a plate on the side to keep the swarf off the shelves (when I make them):

upload_2019-12-22_17-54-29.png

4. kcchan Member

Perfect, just in time to enthuse me to tart mine up.

5. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

One recommendation, practiced on my 7 x 12 and cheap Chinese bench drill...

I HATED having to take out screws to undo guards, shift belts and change speeds on my pillar drill and knew I'd hate it on the saw, so went to Screwfix for...

cabinet catch 45 x 36.jpg
    About 55p each in packs of 10! Order code 15443

I am in no way associated with Screwfix (nor anyone else, for that matter)

Dave H. (the other one)

(and yes, the illustration has it assembled the wrong way...)

Mikey D, RobCox, slim_boy_fat and 3 others like this.
  6. Hopefuldave Intergalactic pot-mender

Oh, and another - plastic guttering with the push-on ends makes a good EGBERT* for long items, cheap too! I used it for my bench shear's handle, too long for the usual tank.

Dave H. (the other one)

* Electrolytic Gungey Bubbling Encrustation Removal Tank

indy4x and Dr.Al like this.
  7. Dr.Al

Dr.Al Forum Supporter

Today I took the eccentric bearing mounts off these blade guide blocks:

upload_2019-12-22_17-57-16.png

and machined the surface on which the mounting screw acts (with a 12 mm ball-end end-mill). Hopefully this will make it a bit easier to adjust the angle of the blade. Here's the machining setup:

upload_2019-12-22_17-57-44.png

I also added shelves to the bandsaw base. Due to the awkward shape, I had to make the shelves in two pieces. That meant I needed to add a mid-support for each shelf. The bottom one was easy; the shelf half-way up was less easy! The whole thing has been a "make-it-up-as-you-go-along" type of design, so a lot of things are based on what I have available.

upload_2019-12-22_18-9-9.png

Here it is with the shelves in place:

upload_2019-12-22_18-9-52.png

The bottom two plywood layers are shelves; the top one is another attempt to keep swarf off the shelves. As a result of the top plywood blocking access to the bottom of the bandsaw, I've also made (a day or two ago) a t-nut for the "fixed" vice jaw: it rotates in a 105 mm radius curved slot, so the t-nut has been machined with the same radius:

upload_2019-12-22_18-11-31.png

... and that brings us up to date. The next big job is stripping the paint off these three bits of the bandsaw:

upload_2019-12-22_18-12-23.png

(I've got some starchem synstrip on order, but it might take a while due to Christmas closure). I'll then start painting the base and those three bits of bandsaw. I've also got lots of plans for modifications to do as it gradually goes back together (and maybe other things will occur to me as I go along!).

I'll gradually add things to this thread as I get more done.

Rig Pig, SteScouse, R-D-R and 3 others like this.
  8. Dr.Al

Dr.Al Forum Supporter

That's a really good idea; thanks!

Mikey D and SteScouse like this.
  9. Dr.Al

Dr.Al Forum Supporter

Slightly annoyed by the ebay seller I ordered the paint stripper from: I went through all the sellers on ebay yesterday and picked the one with the quickest delivery time (delivery by 30th January) so that I can make use of the time I have off over Christmas (I don't go back to work until the 7th). Placed the order and promptly got an email saying "we're closed from today (Saturday 21st) until 30th January, so your order will be despatched then". Presumably all the other vendors that I'd avoided due to the later delivery time had bothered to update ebay with their opening hours...

Ah well; I guess I should have been more organised and got it ordered further in advance.

10. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

great thread Al:thumbup:...looking at your avatar are you an explorer owner?

11. Dr.Al

Dr.Al Forum Supporter

Yeap. 2014 model. I had a test ride on a newer one earlier this year (I think) while mine was in for a service. The newer one seems a bit dull (it's a GS-style bike that seems to rides itself): I was glad to get mine back!

Hopefuldave likes this.
  12. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

i have a 2013 with some interesting mods;) great bikes they are.

13. Dr.Al

Dr.Al Forum Supporter

The problem with restoring one's bandsaw: I'm **really** missing having a bandsaw! Had to hacksaw up a lot of 25 mm steel bar today :(

zx9 and indy4x like this.
  14. mm289 Member

Dover, Kent
    Great thread @Dr.Al I also have one (or possibly 2 as my neighbour wants rid of his) to restore. Been debating what to do with the rubbish stand - your one looks great, just need to bite the bullet and get on with it :clapping:

Cheers,

MM

Dr.Al likes this.
  15. SteScouse

SteScouse Forum Supporter

Great thread, cheers :thumbup:

16. brightspark

brightspark Member

should have cut it up with a slitting disk in angle grinder .much faster than a bandsaw :)

17. Dr.Al

Dr.Al Forum Supporter

I thought about it, but I like to do angle grinding outside and it was raining!

brightspark and SteScouse like this.
  18. WorkshopChris

WorkshopChris Forum Supporter

Natural wet mist Dust and Spark suppression is the technical term.

slim_boy_fat and Dr.Al like this.
  19. RichardM Member

I do as well, occasionally having to T-Cut the window sills as they get little brown spots for some reason :whistle:

R-D-R, Mikey D, Dr.Al and 1 other person like this.
  20. IMG_0602.JPG This is my Sorry looking article , been outside for the past 5 years :ashamed::vsad:

Being used today but will give it some tlc soon :hug:

Needs motor bearings , rubber flex ordered to rewire it and blade guide bearings , belt tensioner beefed up etc
    New stand of cource :laughing:

Does anyone know the bearing numbers off hand ?:dontknow:
    Oh the NVR switch is an aftermarket one from Axminster .
    Cheers mike

• IMG_0603.JPG
    Hopefuldave and R-D-R like this.
Advertisements