Choosing a multi-process welder for a newbie

1. Miah New Member

Hi folks,

I am new to welding (have had a play with arc for an hour or two, that's all) and am trying to choose a reasonable multi-process welder to get started with. Initially I'm interested in arc and mig. It'd be nice if it could do tig in the future, but that's not critical.

I've been looking at the following:

IFL i-TECH 170 MIG INVERTER:
    https://www.weldequip.com/ifl-170-mig.htm

R-Tech 180 Amp Portable Inverter Mig Welder (240v):
    https://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/mig-welder-r-tech-i-mig180/

I asked a friend who works in the welding industry, and he put me in touch with a mate of his, who recommended one of the Jasic welders. I had a quick look but they look quite pricey in comparison with the above:

Jasic MIG 160 Compact Inverter Welder:
    https://www.tbws.co.uk/shop/jasic-pro-mig-160-compact-inverter-welder/

Other than spending time learning/practicing, I'd like to be able to use the machine mostly for vehicle maintenance, both on thin panels (eg. wheel arches) and on chassis mounts etc (land rovers).

Will also be needing a mask too, don't want to go mad on the spending but the idea of an auto-dimming unit is quite appealing from reading through the forum. Not sure which to choose though.

Any advice/pointers welcome!

Miah

2. Jlg

Jlg Member

Ifl all the way

3. Tangledfeet

Tangledfeet Forum Supporter

@Miah Contact TBWS and ask for a quote for the Jasic; they should come back with a much better price.

4. DTS Member

5. Tom Orrow L

Tom Orrow L Welding Supplies Direct

They look a tidy machine but its 50/50 whether they're still going to go ahead with even releasing that machine yet. It'll be built in their Chinese factory but I'd still say it'll be a belter of a machine, Their EasyMIG and SmartMIG range are worth considering too.

eLuSiVeMiTe and DTS like this.
  6. Torrostig New Member

Hello. I'm in search of a welding machine. I look at the price range up to 1000euro. Oh yes, I'm interested in multiprocessing machines. What do you say about telwin technomig 215 dual. Are telwin good welding machines at all?

7. Memmeddu

Memmeddu Member

Hi welcome in this world
    So my thoughts are that a multiprocess welder doesn't work as good as a proper welder capable to do a single process
    But talking about versatility and being you new I think you are an hobbyist so you can't buy three different good welders so you should start to understand what are your needs
    Car panels ... Yeah no , maybe not a good idea starting practicing on those thickness ,and definitely MIG or Tig
    Every inverter stick welder are capable to Tig weld with proper accessories
    Scratch start Tig no high frequency start no solenoid valve
    How much you would like to spend?

About the helmet on the cheap and good branded ones
    Esab Warrior Tech
    Professional welders do like them ,and they say that you can feel the difference between cheap 20 30 50 £/€/$ helmets
    And I think that I will buy one next year
    I would like to recommend also protective glasses under the helmet
    I use Esab ones and I felt better after welding all day long today than without them , usually I always feel eye fatigue without

Advertisements