Chester Eagle 30

1. steviec_lj

steviec_lj Rust Welding Professional

One on eBay for under £1000, still searching for a mill after the last one was “sold” 10 minutes before I got there.

Single phase, looks in good nick from the pictures, but are they actually any good, or should I save my money a little longer?

Thanks

2. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

Few posts on the subject here. Possibly @Carl Wilson iirc had one or his brother?

3. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Forum Supporter

4. Carl Wilson Member

I've got a Chester Eagle 30 Mill/Drill. The thread mentioned above refers to my brother's experience with Chester and a different mill altogether. The thing with the far eastern stuff is that firms like Chester hold stock made in different factories and sometimes different countries, all with varying quality standards.

My Eagle 30 is a decent machine. They are made in Taiwan so better materials and castings seems to be the way. Rong Fu clones so I'm told.

The main issue with it is the round column, it is easy to lose register when racking up or down (there are ways round that) and if heavy cuts are taken the head can shift, rotating about the column. Otherwise it's robust and accurate.

It's a handy machine in my shop and is currently giving sterling service doing jobs in my Harrison Mill refurbishment project.

When I bought the Harrison Mill I had thought to sell the Eagle 30. However it is useful and versatile so I'm keeping it.

I think you could get a better mill for the money though.

5. Ali

Ali Member

Had a few dealings with that company in the past, quality issues every time.

I’d steer clear.

6. Ali

Ali Member

7. Carl Wilson Member

I agree I'm afraid. My brother had a hell of a time with them.

I've visited their place in Hawarden a few times as my daughter lives near there. I found them to be helpful and friendly. That doesn't make up for sending out junk though.

Advertisements