Check your ER32 chucks

1. fizzy Member

uk
    I just bought a Chinese R8 ER32 collet chuck.
    My MT2 one is perfect.
    But this one is appalling. The chuck itself is fine but the end cap is totally out. So bad you can't even get a collet in there.
    Worrying as if it was only a few thou out it wouldn't be so obvious.
    My concern is these are mass produced so how could it happen? 20190712_101303.jpg 20190712_101419.jpg

2. Pete.

Pete. Member

Looks normal to me. They have an offset lip machined inside to hold the collet so the nut works as a release as well as a clamp.

You can't put the collets straight by in, you have to load them on to that lip at an angle.

ronan likes this.
  3. fizzy Member

uk
    Have another look - hard to see in the pictures - I took loads - but the whole thing is offset to the left by a huge amount.

I tried the cap off my MT2 chuck and it worked fine.

4. fizzy Member

uk
    There we go much better
    Shocking! 20190712_110835.jpg

5. 500e

500e Always buy fire insurance a flood is hard to start

Had a set from MSC ran out 3 Th" they replaced it all with no quibble

fizzy likes this.
  6. Pete.

Pete. Member

Ah yeah the one I made had just 1mm offset. That one looks like it's missing a machining step.

fizzy likes this.
  7. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

When I got my chuck a few of my collets were impossible to fit, I had to carefully use a Swiss file to get them to click in - using a push/twist motion makes life much easier with all the set. :thumbup:

fizzy likes this.
  8. ronan

ronan Member

dublin
    The offset ring inside the nut is correct, they all have that, or should. The groove in the collet sits into that ring and does not allow the collet to fall back out. There are shoddy collet chucks about, i bought one last year and it was a lump of dung. But the chinese stuff is normally excellent and if there is an issue, they replace it.

skotl and fizzy like this.
  9. nick952

nick952 Member

As ronan said, that offset ring is correct and you have to "hook" the collet groove on to it. However it's not to stop the collet falling out of the nut, it's primary function is to extract the collet from the body taper as you unscrew the nut and so unclamp the cutter shank.

Edit:- Just read the full thread (rather than just skimming through) and Pete had already posted the same in post #2.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019 at 5:39 PM
    ronan likes this.
  10. fizzy Member

uk
    I was surprised that it is meant to be offset like that.
    I tried a small file but no good either. My other er32 chuck is fine.
    Seller has booked a return.

Advertisements