Cheapo Windows

1. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

2. gerrymoore

gerrymoore CNC expert (well, getting there!)

I got 5 top quality ones for £200 off EBAY...... brand new but surplus...worth a look for some.

Burdekin likes this.
  3. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Will have a gander at lunch time thanks.

4. thinfourth pleb

Or gumtree

Also contact some of the online window places as they may of had a cockup going cheap

Burdekin likes this.
  5. eSCHEn

eSCHEn Forum Supporter

Been through acquiring upvc windows a few times recently Burdekin as I redid my shed windows and a few other jobs. Best bet is look out for someone who is getting shot of a conservatory. These normally come up fairly frequently and you get the benefit of a matched set of widths usually. Price varies but look to spend about £100 - £200 for a full set in good nick.

Don't bother with panes without frames they're useless and worthless. Lot of work making the frames and they're never as good as just waiting to pick up a fully working one.

Make sure you get windows where the fittings are on the inside. It's all too easy to end up with internal windows or old style ones where the panes are fitted from the outside.

Windows companies where wholly useless for me. Fair enough really, why would they be interested in a job they won't make a lot of profit on?

I do have a contact who collects unused or spare windows from building sites but he's in Paisley / Glasgow so a fair old way from you. I got his number from Gumtree IIRC. Charged about £50 for a 2200 x 700 fixed window if memory serves me right.

Burdekin likes this.
  6. merryman Member

When I needed a new window for my garage I tried my local glass supplier, they offered UPVC for surprisingly little money. Slight problem, I couldn't weigh up how to fit the double glazed glass, so took it back and the supplier beat it into the frame with a mallet using a lot of force, standard procedure apparently, this left the problem of fixing the panel into the wall now the fixing holes were hidden. I just stuck it in with expanding foam, 5 years later, it is still as firm as a rock.

Parm and Burdekin like this.
  7. Fazerruss

Fazerruss Member

West Yorkshire
    In all honesty just go and get a price from a window manufacturer for supply only.
    I've just done my house for £1200 for 6 Windows. These weren't the cheap option either. All K glass, the front is a bow (nearly 6 foot wide) and 3 of them have 2 openers.

8. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Thanks. I have a joiner starting the build if the new workshop/shed on the 23rd, originally I just said roof lights but my wife was around and thought a couple of windows would be good even if only for ventilation. I've had a look on gumtree and nothing suitable at the moment and as the job is starting soon then is a bit tight time wise. As it's getting built the joiner should have no issues just fitting a couple of standard sized windows. I emailed him this morning so will see what he says regarding sourcing windows as well.

eSCHEn likes this.
  9. eLuSiVeMiTe

eLuSiVeMiTe Member

As above. Go straight to a local manufacturer/installer.

MattF, Parm and Burdekin like this.
  10. eSCHEn

eSCHEn Forum Supporter

Lol missed the "two" quantity mate. Thought you were doing a whole load :D

Burdekin likes this.
  11. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Coincidentally we are getting some new windows fitted at our cottage, my wife has arranged the job. But as they're two dorma windows and a large double they're not particularly cheap.

I'm happy just using the joiner I have arranged and I've priced up windows made at a place in Blackdog just out of Aberdeen and he'd be double the price of the Euramax ones in Screwfix. I was just thinking if my joiner is too busy to get reasonably priced windows ordered in time I could just go buy two standard windows. If a brand like Euramax are reasonable quality then £300 for two seems ok.

12. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

And giving easier access to scrotes too.....:whistle:

Burdekin likes this.
  13. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

We're all fine upstanding citizens up here. :-)

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  14. pedrobedro

pedrobedro Man at Matalan

The local window place will get them made up for me at a very reasonable price in any configuration I want as long as I leave a deposit, they ring when they are ready and I turn up with rest of payment. I've fitted four on the back of the house. To fit the glass retainers I use a plastic head hammer with a rag wrapped round it, slide it down the glass firmly to knock the bars in. I use a blunt dinner knife or a narrow scraper to get them back out starting in the middle. Get annealed glass if they are lower than 1 metre from the floor or need to be secure.

Burdekin likes this.
  15. gaz1

gaz1 Member

best advice just get new ones then the shed is up to date for a long enough time

getting used is not the best of things if your window is misting up due to there seals gone

Burdekin likes this.
  16. Kent

Kent Member

That's pretty common size as a salesman sample full opener. Do they need a cill because you will need to deduct.
    Allow - 10mm off height and width if masons opening + if its behind the opening (but you can always use add ons to make a frame bigger (getting it smaller is the tricky one)

Burdekin likes this.
  17. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Probably need a sill, but the shed isn't built as yet so the joiner can make the openings to take the windows.

slim_boy_fat likes this.
  18. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

Good point.

19. Kent

Kent Member

I have a big tilt n turn maybe 1500x1500 free to any who wants to collect.

slim_boy_fat, bigegg and Burdekin like this.
  20. Kent

Kent Member

Not when you consider its a shed and units are 10mins to swap. Can fail very quick or last almost forever

bigegg likes this.
Advertisements