Cheap Pulse MIG welders

1. SV1BDO

SV1BDO Member

I have already a Riland 175GD and I am thinking to buy a 2nd pulse MIG, mainly for ALU welding. I had bought an AC/DC TIG, but did not manage to learn TIG welding, so all my alu jobs now are outsourced. I have only single phase mains power here, so I cannot use at all any 3-phased machines. My budget is limited (around 1000 EUR) , so I have to exclude machines like Kemppi, Selco, Genesis, Miller etc Searching & Googling for low budget pulse MIG welders, I found the following:

1) BI-PULSE 201 & BI-PULSE 211. A Chinese pump manufacurer, Levei Pump Industry, now produces a big range of welder machines, under brand name Rolwal. They are selling also under private label. The Polish company Fachowiec sells them under the brand name Welder Fantasy. Both offering single & double pulse functions. The smaller BI-201 is a suitcase style selling at 659 pounds (including shipping to Europe) and according to the published manual, Pulse frequency & Pulse cycle seetings for the SINGLE PULSE mode are automatically selected by the machine (it is not clear in the manual if the user can adjust these settings), while in DOUBLE PULSE these parameters are recommended to set at 1-2Hz & 30-40% respectivelly. I am wating from the original manufacturer for the English manual of the bigger BI-Pulse 211 (original model is Rolwal MS-250PD). Their prices maybe are the lowest in the market now, Unfortunatelly we do not have any signs of their performance & endurance and also videos showing welding results on alu, so buying one of them is a risk.

2) PATON PSI 200P. The machine from Ukraine holds 5 yrs warranty, offers single pulse to ALL welding modes (MMA, MIG, TIG) with seperate Power Supply & MIG feeder, making it ideal for using the Power supply as stand-alone device for portable MMA weldings. There are many parameters that can be adjusted in the MMA process, but much fewer in MIG welding (Voltage pulse amplitude, voltage pulse frequency and duty cycle). Inductance cannot be adjusted. Sold at 785 pounds, including delivery to Europe. Seems to be a very good choice, but they offer only single pulse, so I am wondering about the results.

3) Warrior Master MIG 215. Sold in UK by Phil Weeks for some years. The seller seems to have a good reputation in UK, but there is no so many info about this machine (ie Youtube videos, manuals, user's opinions etc). The machine uses a big LED display, which seems to be out-dated for me. But most important are the results, so if somebody has used this machine for ALU welding, it will be very helpful to post his opinion.

4) PULSEMIG 200P Also sold from Polish company Welder Fantasy (I think it is also sold as LCD Vision from the German company), it is in the market since 2-3 years. Similar models are sold in USA from Everlast as PowerMTS. If I remember well, someone in the forum had used a welder like this for his alu weldings

5) SPARTUS MasterMig 200PFC Sold from another Polish company, the only machine from the list that also sold & supported in Greece where I live. Offers single pulse & synergistic programs. I have to check with local distributor if I can test it.

There are also some other machines in the market (like Topwell & MAGNUM). Magnum 280 has good reviews in Polish forums but is out of my list because it's 3-phase, and Topwell is not sold & service supported in Europe. Also Topwell are over-priced IMHO. Longevity in USA and another Australian company that sold them 2 years ago, have stop selling them, whatever this means.

Any thoughts, suggestions and mainly experience on any of these or similar prices machines are welcomed.

2. Hood

Hood If it walks like a duck....

SV1BDO likes this.
  3. Hood

4. SV1BDO

SV1BDO Member

Yes, I have also find this machine, I am not shure if it is made by Powertek or it is a "chinese clone". Chinese people copy each other very often, not only the western technology :laughing::laughing::laughing:
    I have contacted Phil, he was very helpful and send me the manual. The biggest problem is the very high price concerning the Chinese origin.
    The same machine is branded Spika in Ukraine and a similar 200A model is sold in ebay USA as Avortec (AV8X).
    In Alibaba platform is sold for 450 USD plus shipping under the brand name Easyweld (trading company)
    There is also a site in Finland, https://www.powertekfinland.com/ I have emailed them but still no responce.
    As I wrote in @Robertshetland post, Sharon Li shows in a Youtube video that 215 DPP can remote controled by a smartphone.
    I think this is the 1st Chinese machine in this price class that offers communication with outer word. I have seen this function only in much more expensive western machines. If this function can work also for firmware upgrades, it will be a very strong asset for the machine.

5. Hood

Update functionality is only any good if they do updates :)

The video I linked to from Sharon Li shows a reasonable looking weld but it definitely is a bit spattery and course in operation. Whether that can be adjusted out I am not sure, if I had some spare cash I would be tempted to get one just to mess about with it. One thing though, the single roller feed is not a good thing, I think 3m torch will be an absolute max and even then you will have to be careful not to kink it.

SV1BDO likes this.
  6. SV1BDO

SV1BDO Member

Updates: Yes, this is something that we need some time to see if it will happens.
    Rollers: The majority of these low cost machines that support small 5 Kg rolls are offering a single roller mechanism. I think I have seen only 1 or 2 portable machines offering 4 roll mechaninsm.
    Avortec AV8X is sold in USA through ebay with a spool gun. The panel looks like to be a kid of Powertek factory, but as I wrote somewhere else, the Chinese companies copy each other very often.
    Another canditate in the list is the bigger Rolwal MS250 PD, (supports 15 Kg rolls & 4 roller mechanism) sold also under Welder Fantasy brand, as Bi-Pulse 211. It is also sold on ebay at aprox 1050 Eur, including shipping.
    The biggest problem now for me is that they all are new models, without any reviews and presentation from resellers. Sometimes it's difficult even to get the manual, just to see the construction of the menu and the range of the parameters. Unfortunately, spare cash here is very rare.

7. Hood

Interesting that the Avotec, which looks to just be the same or at least very similar to the 215dpp, comes with a spool gun. I don't see any socket for it to connect to so not sure how it would work. Obviously it must do if they sell it with the machine but...

8. Hood

Ah I think I see the socket, it is inside above the wire feed rollers, strange place for it to be.

9. SV1BDO

SV1BDO Member

Attached are the manuals for 3 machines that I have collected until now. Just to compare the settings adjustments.

1) Rolwal MS-250PD (also sold by Poles as Welder Fantacy Bi-Pulse 211) has the poorest manual that I have ever seen in my life. Received directly from Rolwal factory. The only plus of this machine is the 4-roller mechanism (supports also 15 Kgr roles). Adjustments only for double pulse (double pulse rate & double pulse frequency, -10 till +10 range). No adjustments for single pulse at all. The built in proccessor seems to be very poor, regarding funcionality. No SYNERGIC curves at all. Does not support FCAW (flux core wires with negative polarity)

2) Welder Fantacy Bi-Pulse 201 (also made by Rolwal). Has Synergic curves. Their performance is unknown. It uses a GUI interface with LED screen for displaying parameters. Offers Inductance control & FCAW mode (with Internal jumper). Pulse & double pulse modes have the typical adjustments (frequency & duty cycle). Very competitve price (659 pounds, including shipping within Europe). No 4 roll mechanism. Supports only 5 Kgr rolls. The machine is very new product, announced from Rolwal during Q1 2019. No Youtube videos at all regarding the performance on welding.

3) Powertek 215DPP. Also sold under verious brand names. Has extended range of welding modes. Manual says that supports FCAW welding (gasless flux core wire), but there is no information about reversing polarity. Some videos in Youtube shows decent results on double pulse ALU welding. Price is rather high..

4) KRAMER 200 Bi-Pulse. Also sold by Polish company Fachowiec. NO OPERATING MANUAL yet. Front panel seems identical with 215DPP, so maybe it is a previous model of 215DPP or made by another factory. Supports Spool-Gun (there is a connector on the front panel). Has the lowest price from all machines (449 GBP including shipping to Europe). Regarding its price & spool gun support, seems to be a bargain. I am seriously thinking to buy this machine.

10. HughF

HughF Member

Work: Dorchester, Workshop: Corfe Castle, Wife's place: Frome
    Attached for reference are the manuals for the Paton VDI and PSI machines. The software settings in these machines are identical but the PSI has a built in power supply for external wire feeders.

11. SV1BDO

SV1BDO Member

@HughF thanks for contribution in topic. If I remember well, you already have a Paton machine. I like many of its advantages (seperate power supply that works as stand alone MMA welder, wide range of mains power input, a lot of parameters in MMA welding etc) but it has no double pulse. So, how is the performance of the single pulse mode on 2-4mm aluminum welding?

I found the Kramer Bi-Pulse 200 English manual. Machine has a spool gun connector on the front & internal jumper for FCAW welding, but these functions are not mentioned at all in the manual. It's obvious that is a translation made by Google, keeping in Polish some words that Google cannot recognize. In pulse & double pulse modes, you can adjust the pulse frequency (0,5-5 Hz), the pulse cycle (20-80%) and pulse modulation (5-50%). I have not seen the last parameter in other machines, so I am wondering how the modulation in the pulse works and what are the results of this.

12. pieC New Member

Hello

Did anyone already tried Kramer Bi-Pulse 200 ? I'm kinda interested but not sure if it will provide real 200A or will last with 150A in 100% cycle.

13. Munkul

Munkul Jack of many trades, Master of none

14. Hood

It is a shame they don't make a bigger Pico, something in the range of 200-250Amps would be nice. Then again no hot start or crater fill so that is a downside. Thankfully I have 3 phase so can get all these things plus more current with the EWM Phoenix, superb machines.

Munkul likes this.
  15. Munkul

I hadn't realised there was no hot start/crater fill on the Pico... like you say, a bit of a shame because those are the main two features that make the difference between OK alloy MIG and outstanding alloy MIG.

My Miller has neither and it's OK if you pre-heat the material, and manipulate it a bit at the end, but I've used Lorch/ESAB/Lincoln with them and it's far easier to get what you want. My next MIG machine will deffo have them.

16. Hood

Yes Hot start and crater fill combined with special 4T mode is the dogs danglers. With the special 4T you can control the length of time for the hot start and the same for the crater fill and when in double pulse you can also drop down to the lower of the pulse currents just by tapping the trigger and return again with another tap, very handy when thin stuff is getting hot.

17. SV1BDO

SV1BDO Member

I decide to order the Kramer 200 Bi-Pulse MIG machine. It's price (less than 400 EUR delivered) is very alluring and I think it's the cheapest double-pulsed MIG available today on the market. I will make a new post upon receiving and making the first tests using double pulse on alu. We will see if it's worth the money, or it's just a piece of chinese scrap.

arther dailey, HughF and Hood like this.
  18. Munkul

The spec of the Kramer looks good, anyway, 60% duty at 200 amps, on 230v single phase. High power consumption, though!

19. HughF

HughF Member

Work: Dorchester, Workshop: Corfe Castle, Wife's place: Frome
    I am very interested to see the results of your review, it looks like a nice machine.

20. SV1BDO

SV1BDO Member

Well, the machine seems to be a copy of the MasterMIG 215DPP. Panel, parameters and the range of them looks almost the same with 215DPP, so I am not worry so much regarding its functionality & results. Chinese people ususlly make GOOD copies in firmware & software :laughing: My concerns have to do with the quality of the components that are used inside the machine (ie maybe B class IGBTs) that will affect the reliability of the machine, but this needs some time to see it.

Advertisements