Chassis Bracket Advice Please

1. Nick DV

Nick DV "You must unlearn what you have learned."

I need to weld a short - approx 60mm - 'u' shaped bracket as an extension to an existing one on the chassis of my 4x4. It will have to be a butt weld, but I intend to strengthen it with a couple of plates welded across the joints. The steel of this bracket is just under 3mm thick.

Apologies for the basic question, but do I need to bevel the edge of the steel at the butt joint and leave a small root gap, or should I just make sure the edges align properly and weld them butted together? :dontknow:

2. Munkul

Munkul Jack of many trades, Master of none

Bevel the edges, make sure you have weld metal all the way through. It may be unnecessary with the right settings but at least you'll know it's fused right through. Then if reinforcement is needed you can flat it back and weld in additional plates.

8ob, SteScouse and Nick DV like this.
  3. Nick DV

Thanks Munkul, I'll do just that :thumbup:

4. davidjohnperry a different breed

3 mm thick you could get away with a square edge butt weld just leave a 1.5mm gap and plough in at 19-22 volts. My reasons for this would be making a 3mm plate 1mm thick or knife edge butt weld you got more chance blowing a hole in the plate. I'd practice a few tests see which works best for yourself

stuvy, Nick DV and Shedendman like this.
  5. Nick DV

Thanks for the advice :thumbup: I'll have a couple of practice runs both ways and see how it goes.

davidjohnperry likes this.
Advertisements