Ceiling Tile Shower Head

1. Onoff Member

Evening,

Anyone come across DIY ceiling shower heads? Thinking it can't be that hard to make.

Maybe two sheets of 316 stainless clamped about an edge "gasket" or even silicone/CT1 bead. Maybe a double gasket with LEDs in the gap. BSP fitting on the top plate and matrix of holes drilled in the bottom.

Milan-Square-LED-Chrome-Shower-Head-l.jpg

2. Pete.

Pete. Member

I think you'd do well to buy the little rubber pips that make the water come out in a straight line or you might not get the effect you see above.

hunter27 likes this.
  3. Onoff Member

Ta. Was wondering on that issue. Wondered whether the matrix of drilled holes could then be lightly punched or pressed to achieve a conical form.

4. Burdekin

Burdekin Chief Bodger

You'll probably go through a few drill bits drilling small holes in stainless.

5. brightspark

brightspark Member

and for the amount would soon get sick of it :laughing:

6. Kayos

Kayos Member

A good one costs £30.....

WorkshopChris, eLuSiVeMiTe and GW8IZR like this.
  7. GW8IZR

GW8IZR Gone.

I like making things but I can see substantially more than 30 quids worth of stress from 'er indoors when it wasn't exactly how she imagined it would be :-)

(edit) particularly if I had to tell her to run round to get under enough jets..

zx9 and eLuSiVeMiTe like this.
  8. Paul.

Paul. Moderator Staff Member

I've made similar ones for decontamination showers but they cost considerably more than £30.00, they are not just a box with holes in though, they have reinforcing inside to stop them blowing up like a balloon when they have water pressure applied.
    For £30 just probably best to just go and buy one.

9. GW8IZR

GW8IZR Gone.

On a more serious note I assume there is requirement for the lighting to be SELV and all that goes with that.

10. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

i think from memery theres a little fan the water goes over to a little motor that produces the power for the lighting but there are only little smd leds require very little power

GW8IZR likes this.
  11. GW8IZR

GW8IZR Gone.

That would make sense and sensible. Only comes on as there is water flow as well so no need for switches etc - I assume it will eventually fur up and cost another thirty quid.

But if home made it would need to be safe.

12. Onoff Member

Right where I want the ceiling shower was where I was originally going to have a 12V downlighter. I'm worried just LEDs in the shower rose wont produce enough light over that area. It'd be good if I could get a ceiling tile shower that I could mount an IP6x rated downlight of my choice.

13. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

the light in the shower heads are only to colour the water not produce a light for showering

zx9 likes this.
  14. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

im not sure and not a working sparky but have a ceiling light in area in zone 0 requires a certain type of fitting and at least dubble insulated ?

im sure someone will be along soon

ps any electrics in a bathroom or kitchen is part p cert able

zx9 and GW8IZR like this.
  15. mike os

mike os just a little insane.....

Just buy one

16. Onoff Member

The ceiling height is 2470mm. The height of Zones 1 & 2 extend to 2250mm. As the ceiling shower points down the lamp fitting I don't think would be subject to "direct spray". I'd still aim for any fitting the same as if in Zone 0, the bath tub or shower tray: IPX7, 12v a.c rms or 30v d.c ripple free. SELV, the source outside the Zones.

Advertisements