Cebora pocket mig any good?

1. dobbslc

dobbslc Member

I'm watching a couple of Ceborea/SnapOn pocket migs on ebay as I've realized in need a mig for some motorcycle fab work. Are they any good? And what is the maximum output for them?
    I looks like 100 odd amps on one of the spec plates but I'm not sure.
    This is the item no for one of them 172463105532, the other is much closer to me but has wire feed problems, are they known to have trouble with the wire feed? I've endured a SIP before so don't want to buy another poorly designed machine!
    :thumbup:

2. 123hotchef Member

I have a snapon mig that one looks like a older older model not sure I would want to pay much more that the £70 for that one mate. It took me a while to get the hang of the snapon after also having a sip mig. If you are passing kent you are welcome to have a go on my machine. what is the other one with wire feed problems? I dont know if it is a common problem or not tbh

3. dobbslc

dobbslc Member

Thanks for the offer of a test but I'm a bit far off! :thumbup:
    Here's the other ones item no 232189626131.
    Looks like the feed mechanism can break on these with not much chance of a decent repair. Spare parts look like they are obsolete also? If it stays cheap I'll take a chance.....

4. 123hotchef Member

what are you going to be welding with it?

5. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

Although Cebora are usually a very respected make I would not be parting with any money for the first one you have identified, only two power settings and not a lot of power makes it fairly restrictive and can be difficult to set up right.

Doubt I would bother with the other one either, buying a repair jobby cheap can work out but can also end up costing more than a decent one and you still end up with the limitations.

123hotchef likes this.
  6. dobbslc

dobbslc Member

I'm welding 2-3mm tube and plate making a seat sub frame so not too heavy duty.
    Although I might need to weld a steering lock stop onto the frame headstock as the one I've already done might not be man enough...

123hotchef likes this.
  7. 123hotchef Member

you might be better purchasing a clarke mig from machine mart i have a vat free voucher still if you need it

cumbriasteve likes this.
  8. cumbriasteve

cumbriasteve Moderator

What you are more than likely to find after and if you have got it working is you suddenly enjoy owning a mig but also realise you need more power for those other tasks that will come to mind.

My advice is to purchase something 130 amps minimum, which will cover most hobby work and a 150amp is even better, beyond that is obviously getting expensive and starting to require electrical upgrades.

RonA likes this.
  9. dobbslc

dobbslc Member

Thanks guys!
    I've already had a SIP hobby mig that played up no end but I managed to get it working quite well in the end but I'd had enough so sold it.
    130 amps sounds about right to be honest though so I'll keep looking, better get some stuff on eBay sold so I can afford it.....

10. arther dailey

arther dailey Member

I have a cebora turbo(?) as a spare, think its 130 amps, welds continuous with no splutter.spit,hesitation for the monies I would rate them above clarke and draper, the wire feed is known to have problems with the plastic bit cracking,but mine is fine. pound for pound an under rated machine if bought second hand.
    Thing is what ever you buy you really need to test it first to see if it runs properly.the cebora 130 model always seem to make £130 if running on ebay.good luck,shame you arent closer you could have tried mine,nothing beats trying a few makes first.Arther:)

11. angellonewolf

angellonewolf Member

i would say if have done welding before you should know what to look for in a weld so try before you buy

2nd hand you prob could not go wrong with a larger clark mechine in the hobbie weld area but there are some good other makes 2nd hand yes parts would be an advantage but if you buy one for £100 and it lasts you a few years and you still have the bug and the use for it then spend the money on buying yourself a high end model

12. Rig Pig

Rig Pig Member

The 130 turbo is a good little machine, I had one for years and it did loads of work. There was a thread on here a while ago about someone repairing the plastic wire feed.

13. arther dailey

arther dailey Member

got mine set up with gasless wire for the odd occasion when its windy, great thing lots of power for just 130 amp rating, I would rate them better than similar clarke machines ive used. Dont read that wrong clarke are way better than some others.

14. bs2236 Member

I have owned and extensively used (abused!) a 130 turbo Cebora (Snap ON badged) since they first hit the market over 20 years ok. Apart from a couple of replacement liners and a feed rollers it has performed flawlessly. I keep being tempted to either upgrade it to a euro torch or move up to a new machine but everytime i use it i can't fault it.
    By the way it has been used for general fab of small sections but mostly for classic car restoration.

I am not saying that there are no better machines out there now, just giving an honest review of my experience with this machine.

Good luck with whatever you decide to purchase.

arther dailey likes this.
  15. the snooper

the snooper getting older by the day

I had a cebora rebadged BOC it was a 130 with the power settings on 2 rocker switches, it worked flawlessly and produced good welds right up until some one nicked it :mad:

16. the snooper

This is all I have left and I don't really know why I still have it as the mig was nicked 19 years ago :dontknow: 20170102_181923.jpg

bs2236 likes this.
  17. arther dailey

arther dailey Member

Ha, spoke to soon,got it out gave it blast with gasless wire,worked spot on ,so thought I would connect it up to gas , darn it if gas doesnt run all the time ! so had a go with gas on permantly,works great really powerfull at supposedly 130amp especially as I only put .6 wire in. So got to get that problem sorted ,think gas valve is in torch will have to sus that out,it has a switch on the front for gas or gasless,and plug in connections to swop over posative or neg earth.

18. arther dailey

arther dailey Member

Snooper, I know what it feels like to have stuff pinched, swines,I wont say more my exact thoughts as might offend the sensibilitys of some.you lost a good tool there.

the snooper likes this.
  19. the snooper

And the rest, my garage was done over, they took all the tools they could lift, power tools were locked in a steel cupboard though which I made for such an occasion, they tried but couldn't get into it

20. arther dailey

arther dailey Member

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:flame:

Advertisements