CBR gone to pastures new, next project home.

1. Well, the CBR went last week and this morning I got a train to Bristol and rode this one owner 46k bike back.

Looking a bit sorry for itself. I cannot understand why people let their bikes get into a state like this. Don't think it had seen soapy water in a long time.

1782.JPG

One quick wash later with a load of degreaser turned it into this.

1784.JPG

1786.JPG

Got the gear linkage off and over to my mate Darren at Fairfield Tool & Die to stick a brass bush into it to take away 46k worth of slop so I decided to clean up the footrest when it was off.

1787.JPG

Subframe off to give it a coat of paint along with the grab rail and a few brackets.

1789.JPG

Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
  2. Spent a few hours on it today. Mopped the tank and rear hugger.

1794.JPG

Prepped and painted the rusty subframe and peeling grab rail.

1793.JPG

1792.JPG

Took advantage on the warm sun to cure the paint and when I finished for the day I stuck it back on loosely to dry over the next few days.

1795.JPG 1798.JPG

slim_boy_fat and zx9 like this.
  3. johnakay

johnakay Member

teesside
    coming up nicely.

Exuptoy likes this.
  4. armalites Member

Herefordshire
    Liking the new fingerless nitrile gloves

Exuptoy likes this.
  5. Haha, I always do the same thing. Too busy to change them.

Got this back from Darren tonight. I would seriously love to have a lathe here!

1805.JPG 1804.JPG

dobbslc and Rannsachair like this.
  6. A little old school engineering later :) .... and it's packed with grease and back on.

1807.JPG 1810.JPG

7. Todays work consisted of getting the under tray back in after cleaning it up.

1820.JPG

Then reassembling the rear bodywork following mopping the seat plastics.

1821.JPG

I then tried to start the bike and it wouldn't catch and had "FI" displayed on the dash along with a flashing red LED. The good thing with Suzukis is you can link 2 x pins in the diagnostic plug under the seat which will then give you a fault code. It was showing C23 which checked out as tip over switch when searching online.
    I removed it and opened it up and found the spindle had popped out of its housing. I got it sitting right and back inside the case and remounted and it started on the button. Wahay. :clapping:

William Guy and slim_boy_fat like this.
  8. Todays efforts:

Before,

1826.JPG

After, (I also drilled and tapped the swingarm to accept the Scotoil twin feed attachment so I could get rid of the tie wraps)

1829.JPG

Took off the can and gave it a wipe over with thinners to get rid of the tar spots then gave it a good buff up with some Solvol on the pillar drill. Also finished polishing the other footrest hanger,

1827.JPG

I also had a couple of pairs of LED indicators here so I've ordered an LED indicator relay from the bay and fitted them.

1831.JPG 1830.JPG

...and at the front,

1834.JPG

octo0072000, roofman and Rannsachair like this.
  9. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

great job and that will make a very nice cross country sprinter:thumbup:...that dealer diagnostic plug is handy init, have the same on my TL for retrieving faults. ive spent most of today removing a datatool system3 from my FJR:vsad:

Exuptoy likes this.
  10. roofman likes this.
  11. roofman

roofman Purveyor of fine English buckets and mops

yea saw that but ime footballs deep into it now and past the point of no return;)

Exuptoy likes this.
  12. Today saw me remove the rear wheel to give it a thorough clean (I also gave it a good treatment with Meguiars paint renovator, polish then Carnuba wax so it should be easier to clean in the future) and re-grease the bearings (once I knew they were in good order), clean up the rusty adjuster plates and spindle then strip and clean the rear brake caliper and inside the swingarm.

I found a novel use for my old Hilmar cable benders and an old CBR fork :) .....well, I had to get some heat into the parts as it's horrible outside today.

1835.JPG

So got it all back together and it looks far more presentable.

1836.JPG 1838.JPG

I do however have to repair the side stand and give it a coat of paint.
    How do you tear off the bottom of a stand!!!

1839.JPG

13. slim_boy_fat

slim_boy_fat Forum Supporter

valentino-rossi-catalunya-03.jpg

:dontknow: :D

dobbslc, Rannsachair and Robotstar5 like this.
  14. That would do it :whistle::D

15. HMB

HMB Member

Fancy getting another bike. Haven't had one for a while. Maybe an RC30

zx9 and Exuptoy like this.
  16. Speaking to the previous owner, what actually done it was pulling the bike over on the side stand to turn it in its own space. :)

17. Robotstar5

Robotstar5 Casanunda Staff Member

I've heard of that trick but never tried it as I don't think the stand is designed for that sort of loading.

18. HMB

HMB Member

I used to do that with my rsvr in the kitchen

Exuptoy likes this.
  19. I do it too from time to time.

20. dobbslc

dobbslc Forum Supporter

I've done it too but not sure I'd get away with digging a hole in the kitchen floor...

Advertisements