cast iron

1. Ami

Ami Member

Hey guys,
    I have zero exp with cast iron, but a guy I work with asked me to weld a cast iron plate from his fire place that cracked right down the middle. Is that doable?

2. brokenbiker

brokenbiker Member

Anything is doable. Cast iron is prone to cracking so needs a pre heat and a slow cooling time. Not sure what tig rod would be best, I always stick welded iron and used a stainless 309 rod

3. piman Member

Hello Ami,

I've done quite a few bits of cast iron, even quite thin sections quite successfully. I use an MMA with dedicated cast iron welding rods, no pre heat but short lengths of welding so as not to heat up the job too much.

Alec.

magnet likes this.
  4. gordon stephenson

gordon stephenson Forum Supporter

No practical knowledge, but the usual method of repair for the less experienced welder is usually brazing, Not invisible, but will probably get the job done.

brightspark likes this.
  5. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    I bumped into this video when looking for cast iron repair:

One thing though, if you melt the cast iron it goes glass hard - you won't be filing that off. Braze is best imho for all sorts of reasons.

S.

6. Tig brazing works well on cast iron, and there seems little need to pre heat or post cooling.

7. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

Nickel/iron based filler works very well for tig welding cast iron.

8. Ami

Ami Member

Can you elaberate please? What rod? should I bevel? Would a SS filler work?

9. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

The FeNi rods I was referring to are good for that exact job but cost an arm and a leg as you'd expect from a nickel based filler. I personally wouldn't use stainless filler but if that is the route you chose then a 312 would be most suited as it's designed for dissimilar and difficult to weld materials.

Tigman likes this.
  10. Parm

Parm Oh how I’ve missed my play pen this year

I'm a complete novice and repaired a cast iron Dutch oven pot with a big crack, pre heat on a boiling ring, braze with oxy propane and then cover in an old fire blanket to cool slowly. I'm quite proud of the fix and after a few uses crack is almost invisible

brightspark likes this.
  11. Tinbasherdan

Tinbasherdan Bodger in chief

Just built up a cam/pulley using mma rods, tried tig but the heat was just too focused

12. Rrunnach

Rrunnach www.interventiontechnolog y.com

I have found doing similar types of repair have been completely unsuccessful, mainly down to cast specification being of the type that does not lend itself to weld repairs.

13. hotrodder Member

SE England
    http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/welding-cast-iron.htm , http://www.twi-global.com/technical-knowledge/job-knowledge/weldability-of-materials-cast-irons-025/ and http://www.esabna.com/euweb/oxy_handbook/589oxy15_1.htm which is more about traditional methods using oxyfuel

None of those sources mention stainless filler wire or electrodes because stainless = lots of chromium and very little carbon. Cr has a high affinity for C and the result is 'kin hard & brittle chromium carbides. Cast iron is way higher in C than any flavour of steel...

Paul G likes this.
  14. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

If it's gonna be done with mig I'd still suggest an Ni based filler to give the best results.

Kayos and Member 66062 like this.
  15. arceyered Member

One other tip is to do it in 1/2 to 3/4 inch lengths in different places as soon as you have welded a short length peen it rapidly with a ball point hammer to relieve the stress.

16. Ami

Ami Member

So I'm understanding no preheat, keep the temp down and minimize stress? I cant braze so I have to weld. I have er-70 ,308, 309, 314 and fagersta 307 (used for armor) or electrodes zika 6013. what would you go with?

17. Screwdriver

Screwdriver Member

UK London
    While I was researching the same sort of thing one of the things I saw was that welding cast iron is only successful about half the time. Depends exactly what other rubbish is in the casting and if it's unsuitable for welding, it won't weld no matter what you do. Whatever you do, you should at least test a small area first. Might also be a good idea to mechanically secure the join with a few tabs screwed in behind it if you insist on welding.

18. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

I know that man. He used to work for Lincoln. He was Lincoln through and through so I wonder why hes left them....curious

19. arceyered Member

The other thing you can look at is stitch locking, google stitch locking cast iron? We have used this method on machine beds very successful.

20. hotrodder Member

SE England
Advertisements