You’ll only ever buy them once.

4. bourbon Member

expensive but very worth it.

5. zzr1200

zzr1200 Working at 650 ft on open steel work

Very very true....

6. carbon

carbon Member

My late father bought a small 6" one in the early 80's, it's still in use now. I have managed to find a few larger ones at auction locally, not as easy to handle but definitely clamp components together without moving

7. 8ob

8ob Forum Supporter

I think it depends on your needs, I rate them but if you only need a g clamp there are plenty of cheaper clamps that will do the same job. Where Carver win over the other clamps is the versatility of the "system", clamp bars in just about any length you can imagine and the interchangeability of clamps/ bars on jig work is second to none.

Bob

eLuSiVeMiTe, Ton-up and Richard. like this.
  8. nickk Forum Supporter

They also have a shrouded thread,protecting from weld spatter.
    I have 8 normal duty ones and 2 heavy duty with 8” throat,they take some carrying and positioning,bought my first pair in ‘84,replaced the odd spring,which I now make from a household knife,also have one which I’ve welded together at least twice in the last 25 years,it’s difficult to abuse them,even if you place extra leverage on the Tommy bar the worse you’ll do is bend that part.

Wallace likes this.
  9. rory1

rory1 Member

You Can’t beat them

10. zzr1200

zzr1200 Working at 650 ft on open steel work

Richard. likes this.
  11. Turbo Member

I like my carver clamps, there's nothing to beat them if you want something clamped tight or to pull a joint together to weld it. :thumbup:

But am I the only one to find them a pain in the bum to use? You always need 2 hands to use them as it's hard to get one half to stay in the right notch in the other half until you get the screw tightened. :vsad:

I usually use an f or a ratchet clamp to get the items roughly in place as I can manage them one handed then switch to a carver clamp when both hands are free. ;)

Only that I picked my carvers up cheap I would go for f-clamps if I was starting out. They're more versatile, easier to use & cheaper.

12. I've got two in my garage that I inherited from my dad, never used them, if anyone wants them I'd part with them for a few beer vouchers.

slim_boy_fat and 123hotchef like this.
  13. 123hotchef Member

what size how many tokens we talking ;-)

14. unimog Member

hi
    if you do not want them i am intrested

unimog

15. It seems like there is a lot of interest in these old 6" Carver clamps. They are very old but have obviously seen very little use, there is no wear or damage other than light surface rust.

They were in my dads garage for as long as I can remember and I'm over 60, I don't ever remember dad using them.

Perhaps I should put them in the for sale section and not hijack this thread. (mods?) Anyway here is a picture of them. I would appreciate some realistic idea as to what they are worth? I know new they are daft money and new ones don't look as heavy duty as these.

Carver clamps.jpg

16. Kent

Kent Member

Very good! Totally and utterly a waste of cash if you don't need that level of clamping force and durability.
    Better to have more cheaper clamps in various sizes in the case of most people.
    Now if i was working with heavy steel sections past tge level of benches even being viable its a no brainer
    Genral fabrication, sheet and light plate etc? Nah! Better having more of others in various sizes

17. unimog Member

hi
    what is the weight then i will be able to make a correct offer

thanks

18. Munkul

Munkul Jack of many trades, Master of none

brilliant quality heavy duty clamps.
    Bessey clamps are comparable in quality but in general not meant for quite as heavy duty clamping and therefore are a bit lighter and easier to use.

19. They weigh 1435g each

20. TechnicAl

TechnicAl Member

apart from the ones that get nicked

agreed though,,,,,best there is

bigegg likes this.
Advertisements