Car transporter/trailer

1. cbfb Member

Just wanted some advice on how to tackle a project. The equipment I have available is a 200A inverter MIG: GMAW (100% CO2, ER70S-6 0.8mm) and FCAW (E71T-GS 0.8mm).

I'm planning on building a car transporter over Easter (I've got a week off work). Obviously the first choice would be GMAW, problem solved.

Unfortunately though I won't be working indoors. I've done a few small jobs outside with gas wire when I can't be bothered switching to flux core, but I find it difficult to keep welds consistent. They look OK but I am concerned about how strong they are.

My options seem to be:

1. Try to use some sort of screen with GMAW to stop the shielding gas from being blown away. Problem is close to buildings that wind comes from all over the place, and it would be an awkward process messing about with screens.

2. Use FCAW and not worry about wind. Is it a good option for quite critical welds on a trailer though? I'm of the (possibly ignorant) mindset that GMAW is always "better".

3. Don't bother, GMAW outside is impractical and FCAW is not as strong.

Edit: Had a thought, I use 8 LPM generally when I'm indoors. Would increasing it outside help?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  2. frank horton

frank horton V twins are great but 4"s rule.........

think u'll find that home made trailers are not allowed anymore on the public roads........
    u should be able to pick a used bargain of the net........usually galv, 2 axles and a winch.....

3. steviec_lj

steviec_lj Rust Welding Professional

OP is in NZ, so the EU laws probably don’t apply.

Not sure if NZ have similar rules, but worth checking?

Personally, I use 8lpm indoors and outdoors. If there’s a bit of wind I put up a wind break when possible.

stuvy likes this.
  4. Munkul Member

Cumbria, UK
    FCAW can be as strong as GMAW when done properly. I'd be wanting to prove the settings and wire by running some tests, first though.

Why not MMA? Use 6013 rods for tacking and 7018 rods for welds...

5. cbfb Member

Homebuilts definitely allowed in NZ.

Do you find the strength is compromised at all outside?

6. cbfb Member

Yes I would test it for sure, just want to know if its advisable.

My experience is with mig, dont want to have to learn stick welding if I can help it. Well actually I'd love to but time is very limited so need to spend it on the trailer.

7. cbfb Member

Not in this country, they fetch very high prices and I have seen some shockers.

For about 2000 nzd I can build a new one. Hard to find secondhand in any state for that.

8. ibrooks Member

UK Lancashire
    Yes they are - they just have to have a chassis number and go through a test to ensure that they are safe.

stuvy, Justme and steviec_lj like this.
  9. steviec_lj

steviec_lj Rust Welding Professional

Nothing seems to be compromised, some of the parts are pulling 5-6ton around daily.

I think there is one weld cracked, on a bale spike, but that is due to abuse nothing else..

10. bricol Member

N.Yorks, UK
    I found with long, welded car transport trailers that they flexed and broke welds over time and miles.

Folded sections for the two wheel track decks, folded stringers to tie them together front and rear, bolted to the decks, axle(s) bolt to the decks, hollow section draw bar, bolted to axle and to front stringer - it can flex and move - no cracks or broken welds.

11. Justme

Justme Member

They are IF you get them IVA tested.

stuvy likes this.
  12. Ruffian Member

Why not arc it together
    Would contemplate a caravan chassis and convert that to a car transporter.

13. cbfb Member

Good to know. I'll have a practice with GMAW outside then.

14. cbfb Member

Hadn't mentioned the design before but it's been done properly by an engineer. PFC chassis rails, drawbars and front/rear crossmembers. Rest of the crossmembers are RHS. Leaf spring supports the single axle (just for a lightweight rally car).

Axle and hitch are bolt on and without going into too much detail it seems to allow for movement in places where you'd expect flex.

Not too happy with the deck and ramp arrangement though, the deck seems a bit heavy and the ramps could be simpler.

15. Mattycoops43 Member

Just for info, I looked it up as I have been asked to build a motorbike trailer. IVA is only £70 up to 3.5t trailer.

16. TEO New Member

Oxford, UK
    Hi Matty, I've just been trying to find a test centre near to me in Oxford....seems as though not every centre has a tester, they have to get one along specially. Did you get your trailer done and how was the process?
    Cheers,
    T

arther dailey likes this.
  17. Mick Annick

Mick Annick Member

I used to live near Oxford but had to go to Southampton for my last IVA

18. stuvy

stuvy Member

Leighton Buzzard has a test center

Advertisements