Calling thermal arc/tweco tig owners.

1. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

Does your machine have a thermal arc 8pin socket?
    Mine does and it’s been long over due to sort out the torch/pedal swapping about.
    So I built a remote. Conventional switch to turn the pedal on/off and a socket in the front to connect up the torch. Problem is machine has a glitch where it goes into remote without the remote on. Service engineer said to me it requires a short across pot minimum and wiper in torch mode. And that’s as far as I got on my own.
    A member on here @pdg I’ve been in contact with over last few days has taken my remote to a whole new level and I’d like to share the info with other TA and tweco owners. All the wiring and design is from Pdg and his patience has managed to get me to understand it and wire it to work.
    I can turn the pedal on and off. I can do this now without the fault due to the short been in place in the off position.
    I can plug my torch in and my pedal in at the same time.
    The clever bit is I can now pre set a pedal start current which is something I couldn’t do before. Now I can throw up all the drawings on here for people to copy but I’m gonna leave that with Pdg as it’s his drawing and he made it work.
    All I did was fabricate the remote and slap it together
    I can’t thank Pdg enough and I hope this info gets others in a similar position cos it’s a major upgrade to that thermal arc interface.

2. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

That’s the remote.
    I’ll leave the techy bit to Pdg.

• 2B78EE0E-D367-400F-B328-389C0091DCA9.jpeg
    • 54FBF277-27E0-4BFC-B497-8943ECF73E8E.jpeg
    • BE50BC0E-F4B2-4B8C-AD52-49A5D84EE846.jpeg
    addjunkie, Hood and dazza like this.
  3. Shox Dr

Shox Dr Chief Engineer to Carlos Fandango

Sounds interesting. I’m sure bluetooth could be used to make a wireless pedal

4. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

I haven’t gone that far with it. We are still on wires but now we can pre set a start current for the pedal something you couldn’t do on this before. It was fixed on minimum. You can also have all leads connected and adjust your max current on the pot as well as swap to a torch switch. No unplugging required and an extra feature the machine didn’t offer.

5. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

I like the idea I can use the pedal as a switch pdg.
    I can have it in torch mode and set my main current. I then have a choice as to how I want to apply that current. Hand or foot. I quite like it this way. Options are there.

6. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

All the hard work is right here and done . Anyone with a tig machine with that victor technologies 8 pin plug should defo copy this fantastic upgrade. I’ve use the TA 202 AC/DC before and know there are a few members with this machine. It works in exactly the same way and this drawing of pdgs will work for that machine.

7. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

It may also work with the TA sanrex arcmaster too. Same pedal part number, same plug so no reason it wouldn’t work but I’ve not used one before so can’t say for sure.

8. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

BC686ABA-E980-4527-AE8D-E2289A912FDD.jpeg Oh and of course the info is far more useful with this.

9. HughF

HughF Member

Work: Dorchester, Workshop: Corfe Castle, Wife's place: Frome
    Good work team.... :)

Cheesie likes this.
  10. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

@pdg I get exactly 50% of main current at max start up current. If I max both pots out I get 110 on start and 220 tops. It works exactly as you said. It’s a feature available on other machines I’ve had I dunno why this one wouldn’t do it as standard. Starting up at 3 amps is a pita when you want an immediate puddle.

11. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

It works spot on. If I set 10 amps on the max I get 3-5 amps on start up. available, if I set max at 100 I get 3-50 amps and so on. Brilliant stuff. Didn’t think it was going to work.

12. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

If I put a 10k in the remote would my start current potentially be up to 100%. Not that I’d ever need that but is that right.

13. carbon

carbon Member

Not sure if it’s available on your machine but my thermal arc 250 ac/dc has a hidden menu option that allows setting of initial current between 3amp and the maximum of the machine

14. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

Mine doesn’t unfortunately. It allows you to have various start up currents based on the electrode size you tell it but they are fixed at 3/10/20 amps.

15. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

50% is more than I’ll ever need. A 25-40 amp strike up on Alu of any thickness is perfect. It’s enough to get arc stability straight away and not too much that it causes craters on extinguish. It will probably sit around 30 amps is forever. I don’t use a pedal on dc so not even applicable to find a start up current for that as I just go straight in with the machine slope settings for that.

16. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

Interesting stuff, though swapping pedal to torch only takes seconds.

I shall save this and have a bit play next time I have some tig time, to see if I need this.

17. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

It does but then your unplugging everytime you want to change current. Does yours have adjustable start current add. This would be a brilliant addition to your welder if not. The drawing is here so a couple of hours and you’d have it done. Just simply fit it into your pedal cable. No messing about that’s all I did.

18. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

I bet you could do something very similar for the parweld 201 as that’s a ball ache from what I’ve heard. It’s pretty much identical to the ta but different pedal and plug. Pedal max current is set on a pot on pedal but it doesn’t display it on machine so you never really know what the max current on pedal is.

19. addjunkie

addjunkie Member

On mine with pedal plugged in, you can adjust the max current from the knob on the front of the panel. No unplugging required.

Start current is adjustable in 2 or 4 t modes, id have to check with the pedal, but I think not.

I also move my machine around the garage quite abit depending what I am doing, so wouldnt want to be dragging the pedal for example when Im not going to use it.

20. Richard.

Richard. Forum Supporter

Pedal unplugs from the machine just like before.
    Anyway it works if you fancy it. The fact you can actually adjust max current with it plugged in makes it far better than mine was anyway.

Advertisements