Cad help please.

1. Ruffian Member

Evening all,

I'm currently learning fusion 360 again and I am having a issue trying to figure out how to put a add on onto a taper. I have a design I want to 3d print.

Here is a rough drawing if someone could help would be appreachitated.

Needs no infill and must be able to be wrapped around a shaft,

35mm shaft.
    75mm ish top
    50mm ish bottom.
    Split so can wrap around.
    Hinged or able to be clicked closed. (Pin/fastened)

Many thanks in advance.

• 20190911_202200.jpg
  2. hotponyshoes Member

Draw a cross section of the taper divided in half then the 1/2 radius on one end then use the sweep tool.

For printing you might be best to add tabs with holes both sides, one side offset above the other so you can print 2 copies of the same part and put a bolt/nut through one to assemble into a hinge and a pin to close.

Draw as a solid then select the infill amount in the slicer software. You will want some sort of infill to print but you might get away with 5% or so

3. hotponyshoes Member

Depending on what filimant you are printing with and how often you are planning to remove it you might get away with a very thin layer printing to act as a hinge but I would print a test part first to see if it will hold up to flexing

4. Ruffian Member

I dont want layer hing as dont recon it would work for long.

Would rather have a hollow tube on the outside of the taper and put a 2mm stainless pin down through it or similar.

I can do the tapered canister and the hollow infil but I cannot figure out how to get the hinges to follow the angle of the canister rather than tapering off.

5. hotponyshoes Member

Can't you draw the hinge as a separate entity then select and rotate to match the angle of the taper then drag/drop into place?
    Copy and paste as qty required?

6. mtt.tr

mtt.tr Member

Essex England
    Bit lost by what you are hoping to achieve.

7. jimi_boom Member

LAncaster
    You wont be able to do all of that in one feature.
    You will have to break it down, first as suggested above you need to do a revolution to give you the tapered section of your main part. But as you want to halves that are then secured together you only need to do the revolution through 180 degrees.
    The tabs or location pins would ideally be on both sides and you will have to probably do these as extrusion with a hole in them from construction datums that you add in. When you are creating the extrusions for your pin/shaft make sure you reference the main body of the model so that if it changes the pin extrusion will also move with it.
    I hope they above makes sense.

8. Ruffian Member

That might work but with my limited knowledge cant figure out how to angle the hinge part .
    If I knew how to do that I could finish the design myself as could then section it.

The way I see it, I would like there to be a tube at the same angle as the taper (I dont know how to do this) I can do them vertical, and tapered diameter but cant figure out how to angle the hole assembly.

If I could do staggered like the photo below i can then just slide a pin down through to lock in place. (Both parts symmetrical)

• 20190912_152623.jpg
  9. JLP

JLP Member

If this is the same as the rest of the autodesk package, catia, etc:

Create a plane through a surface and 2 points. You should then be able to select the two ends of the taper (large and small dias) and the cylindrical piece itself and make a plane to work from. This will then allow you to build off it at an angle.

If that fails you can add points onto the surface and make a plane that way, or even offset it from one of the base planes at an angle and then build at an angle

10. hotponyshoes Member

There are a few ways to do it, as above or
    Draw the hinge part separate as you have done in the drawing above, highlight it by dragging a box around it and use the rotate tool, you will need the correct angle so either a bit of trig then enter manually or there is a shortcut key you can press for 'align' and then click on the surface you plan to drop it on but i can't remember what the shortcut is.

Or, draw a line at the start of one of the inner hinge points, (construct/plane at angle) to get a plane at 90deg to the angled outer of the cone, build the outline of the hinge on that plane then use the extrude tool to pull to the correct length, highlight and copy and past and they will stay at the same angle.

11. Ruffian Member

Thankyou guys for trying to help but been a long day and getting tired now.

Managed part a, in getting the outer hinge part to line up with the side so a small conquest.
    But stumped by part b and c trying to core down through to accept a pin and cut the middle out to place on the other side to make a duplicatable part.

Hope this picture makes more sense at what I'm trying to achieve.

• 20190912_225030.jpg
  12. hotponyshoes Member

Draw a circle on one end of the hinge for the pin and extrude it inwards to make a hole

I would make the hinge in 3 parts rather than cut the center out as in real life you would have the thickness of the cutting blade as clearance but the computer will cut with a 0 thickness I think you will want a bit of a gap between them.

13. hotponyshoes Member

Also, I don't know what you are printing it with but on my setup I think the hollow shell will need to be a solid section on the cad drawing to import into the slicer.
    Then select the fill level in the slicer software.
    If it needs to be hollow you might want to check first as I have a feeling that 10% fill might be the minimum setting?

Advertisements