Britweld br155s compact

1. curly4393 Member

UK Swansea
    Hello all, I have owned this mig for a number of years, an the power output has not been all that great, used mainly for car body, using with argoshield, and it does the job
    I feel that I may not have the machine set to its best settings and would love to get hold of a manual for this welder or some information Thanks all great forum

2. curly4393 Member

UK Swansea
    Photo Of Brit welder

Am confused a bit by settings some I know, but not all of them

• p1310001.jpg
  3. curly4393 Member

UK Swansea
    Britweld

Not a very good photo of control panel but you get the idea there is also a power dial out of shot that goes up to 7, can be seen on other photo

• p1310002.jpg
  4. Archie Member

UK
    Top left is wire feed speed. The one below will change modes from normal to spot and stitch though I can't make out which is which. Top right is weld time and below is pause time. Below that is burn back. Adjusting the burn back will change the length of time the wire continues to move after you've finished welding. Weld and pause time are used in conjunction with the spot and stitch functions. In spot mode you use the weld time knob to adjust how long you weld before the machine automatically shuts off. In stitch mode you use both weld and pause knobs to adjust the time the welder is on and the time it's off. Hope that makes sense? :rolleyes:

5. curly4393 Member

UK Swansea
    Brit weld

Thanks for the info, just one question when on normal mode are you saying that weld and pause settings are not active, and only function on stitch weld

6. Archie Member

UK
    Yup. They should only be active in spot and stitch mode.

7. curly4393 Member

UK Swansea
    Britweld

Sorry but I am on a roll now what would you say the max metal thikness would be for this set up to weld I can only do about 3.5 m, is that good or bad, I can go as thin as you like

8. Archie Member

UK
    I'm afraid I have absolutely no idea! Do you know what it's max amps are? Do you have a pic of the data plate?

9. curly4393 Member

UK Swansea
    Britweld

Hope this is of use, its the only one I could find

10. curly4393 Member

UK Swansea
    britweld

Try again

• p1310008.jpg
  11. weldequip Forum Sponsor

It's 30 years old this year :clapping:
    The information on the spec plate isn't visible, or has worn off. Being that it's called a 155 I would assume it's 150 amps ;)
    A 150amp machine is good up to around 4mm, that being a quality set with some guts you should be able to do 6mm (maybe with some edge prep).
    weldequip

12. curly4393 Member

UK Swansea
    Penertration

This welder has only had one spool of wire through it, I brought it from Remploy some years ago, and only used for car body stuff, they sold it to me saying that it was not powerful enuff, I find it does not penetrate more than 3 mil very well, any advise. I mean do I get it serviced, or are there any adjustments I could make, I need to weld 5 6 mil now and it does not do this, so I am using the inverter, but would love to use this mig. Otherwise she will have to go. Many thanks for info so far, great forum

13. Bullyterrier

Bullyterrier So Mote It Be

Bretagne, France
    If you are using 0.6mm wire (which you probably are for thin car panels) then you wont get the maximum power out of the welder, try using 0.8mm wire and you will probably find you get a little more penetration.

14. curly4393 Member

UK Swansea
    Britweld

Now using 1.00mm wire. Now we are cooking on gas, :clapping: found I have to turn wire speed right down, but welds 6.00mm fine, Many thanks for advise

15. garymic New Member

milton keynes uk
    hiya i have a britweld br273 compact three phase mig do you no where i can get a manual for this as i pick it up from a school yrs ago and it did not have 1 where it , ta for any info on this one ta gary

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2010
  16. Andrew Hewitt New Member

Ive just stumbled on this forum while looking for info on my welder, its a br 273 compact 3 phase, and it came from a school. having read the above post it may well be the same machine, it looks to have had very little work done with it. does anyone know where to find a manual for it? TIA

Advertisements