brazing copper piping

1. cornishnutter Member

suffolk england
    hello guys and guys was wondering if anyone can give me tips on brazing cos i ahve have never done it , and im starting a new job working with copper piping

2. brightspark

brightspark Member

brazing or soldering??and what size pipes . u can braze with a propane torch or oxy acet or oxy propane depending on the heat required

3. Rrunnach

Rrunnach www.interventiontechnolog y.com

Good flame setting, clean material, rod well fluxed, or pre-fluxed rod. Don't cook the pipe, rod will flow easily around joint via capillary action.

What you doing, heat exchangers/air-con?

4. cornishnutter Member

suffolk england
    i am doing refrigeration rfor a company so do i just heat the metal up and it melts together or do i have to use rods as well like gas welding/

5. Rrunnach

Refrigeration normally use a copper type rod for their work, I can't remember the spec, have used them, dawdle to use..

6. voipio Member

Cambridge, UK
    Think of brazing as high temperature soldering of pipes. The fluxes are different and based on borax. There are plenty of videos on youtube to show you how. The copper doesn't melt in the process, else that would be welding.

7. rtbcomp

rtbcomp Moderator Staff Member

Brazing is like soldering but with a brass alloy rod. The metal pipes don't melt, but the rod does and flows into the joint.

If you melted the pipes together that would be welding.

8. Rrunnach

Good for you on getting a start. How did you manage this if you have never brazed before, company training you up?

Shedendman likes this.
  9. eil Member

N Wales
    You need a copper to copper / copper phosphorus rod, the higher the silver content the easier it flows, have a look on you tube.

10. davidjohnperry a different breed

hya lad i worked for a air con firm for a while to braze the pipes they usually used a oxygen propane mix and Rothenberger Rolot S2 Copper is what we used as our brazing rods. u can use a plumbers blow lamp for quarter pipe work but it is easier to just use the oxey propane mix. my advice to you is buy two cutters for holding armaflex lagging back when brazing and have a wet rag. and if you have sculls look after them as they are quite difficult to come accross. hope this helps.
    also whilst i think about it dont know the hole truth about it as i was allowed to do it but I was told by an engineer that you cant work on any refrigeration pipe work unless you are f gas trained

11. eil Member

N Wales
    David, what are sculls

12. Tiggy_dorset

Tiggy_dorset It looks just like a bought one!

Copper to Copper - I use a self fluxing silphos rod
    Anything else, which includes : Brass, Mild Steel, Stainless - I use silver solder(Sil40) with powdered flux. Some people mix the flux into a paste with water, but I simply prefer heating the rod and dipping into the powder. I guess that would be a matter of personal preference.

I use Oxy/Acet

13. davidjohnperry a different breed

Hey eli mate sculls are pipe benders but are a lot more easier to use on the coil copper for bends then conventional plumber benders or external springs I think sculls if spelt right is the name of them. Hope that helps and before I forget this helped me all copper pipe work for refrigeration is imperial but most lagging is marker metric it was a night mare for me for a while till I worked it out . Good luck with your new job mate

14. cornishnutter Member

suffolk england
    they saw I have welding and fabrication experience and they need someone in quick in their copper department

Rrunnach likes this.
  15. cornishnutter Member

suffolk england
    cheers for all the help and advice guys

16. Rrunnach

Once you have nailed a few joints, you will see how easy it is.

17. bonepyro

bonepyro Forum Supporter

Is this factory based work? Is there a clean up process after the brazing otherwise you will also need to know that all fridge pipework should be nitrogen purged when brazing to prevent oxide scale build up inside the pipework.
    As others have said above, copper - copper there is no extra flux, just the self fluxing rods. (I was 12 years an aircon / fridge engineer)

18. cornishnutter Member

suffolk england
    yeah I t think there is

19. Tiggy_dorset

Tiggy_dorset It looks just like a bought one!

Please let us know how you get on 'Cornishnutter'

20. eil Member

N Wales
    Cornishnutter, my old man used to say to me "The trouble with you is you learnt to weld before you learnt to solder" meaning don't go too hot ;)

Advertisements